Dealing with Dealer

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Yes, before I bought the tractor we spoke about this. I told him that the only reason we were buying this tractor is for the hoe. He assured me that I would have a working back hoe by the end of December. I only need to complete 1 of the excavation projects this Winter so I can pour a slab for construction next Spring. I only need something for 2-3 days -- anything that can dig footings. Unfortunately, the dealer said he didn't have a loaner.
A loaner or not, they made you a promise, even if it means they have to rent one from SunBelt or someplace. An obligation is an obligation.
Never promise unless you can deliver.

Reactions: 1 users

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Did the dealer owner or manager tell you that they would definitely have the kit in December or just the salesman? Given the ongoing supply issues with equipment I doubt that the higher ups in the dealership would have guaranteed anything coming in that wasn’t already on the lot. They also aren’t going to be liable for anything that is not written down. However, how they handle the situation as far as trying as hard as they can to find you one at another dealer will speak to the quality of their dealership. Unfortunately, there may not be any to obtain.

Reactions: 1 user

MountainCatBob

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 24, 2021
Abingdon, Virginia
They also aren’t going to be liable for anything that is not written down. However, how they handle the situation as far as trying as hard as they can to find you one at another dealer will speak to the quality of their dealership. Unfortunately, there may not be any to obtain.
This entire fiasco speaks to the quality of people I'm dealing with!

I asked the salesman (one of the 2 brothers who own the dealership) about subframe kit and the salesman said sure, sure, everything we need comes with the backhoe kit--I believed him. Sadly, I was not sufficiently prepared to spot that lie. He was very clever and quickly added that he had ordered a backhoe kit some months ago, which would be at the dealership in December. (The BH77 did arrived, but no subframe kit for the LX2610 had been ordered.) Just before my partner Katie wrote him a check, I specifically reminded him that I needed the back hoe for some building projects and I had to start work the first of the year -- the only reason I was buying the equipment -- from our first conversation I told him I needed a hoe, not only the tractor/loader! He assured me that AGAIN that the backhoe would be delivered in December and I would be able to do my projects on time. Katie is a witness to the deception -- she signed the check.
(Boy am I in the doghouse now!)

Everyone should be aware that Consumer Protection Laws in (almost) every state specify, among other things, that items must actually work for the purpose they were sold. If the dealership sold me a tractor I can't use, according to Virginia law, the dealer must accept the return and refund our money in full. There is much case law, but I would much rather have a working machine. I plan to give this dealership until the end of the year before taking any further action.

We are still hoping for a miracle.

MountainCatBob

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 24, 2021
Abingdon, Virginia
A loaner or not, they made you a promise, even if it means they have to rent one from SunBelt or someplace. An obligation is an obligation.
Never promise unless you can deliver.
They have tons of used equipment and the first thing I suggested is they give me a loaner for 2-3 days so I could start the time critical project -- the other projects can be put off for a year or two. Those guys then tried to sell me an excavator using high pressure tactics! It didn't work.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
They have tons of used equipment and the first thing I suggested is they give me a loaner for 2-3 days so I could start the time critical project -- the other projects can be put off for a year or two. Those guys then tried to sell me an excavator using high pressure tactics! It didn't work.
I certainly hope you have already concluded that you will NEVER go back to this dealer for ANYTHING!

Last edited:
  • Haha

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Have you started calling other dealers looking for what you need? I would go onto the Kubota website and use their locate dealer feature and get a list of names and start calling around to see if you can find one. Waiting for your dealership sounds like a waste of time. If you have some tools, time, some basic mechanical ability and physical ability, the kit is not too hard to put on. I put mine on myself because I bought it used.

MountainCatBob

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 24, 2021
Abingdon, Virginia
The dealer came through! Apparently, there was no communications between sales and the owners, probably because the salesman tested positive for COVID later in the same day I was sitting in his office buying the machine. The management had not a clue and we went a round or two with the gloves off, but somehow they came through.

The LX 2610 It's perfect for my project, even though it's just a little guy compared to full size machines. It maneuvers around trees and obstacles easily.

THANKS FOR ALL THE SUGGESTIONS AND SUPPORT! Merry Xmas!
Kubota w Hoe.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Jared 756

Equipment
MX5400, L3901 and B2601
Jun 9, 2021
Washington st
I guess that's the lesson here for us all...get it in writing. Not that you should need to but its the only way to hold a bad dealer to their word.
Not enough information here to be saying they are a good or bad dealer - things happen sometimes. Maybe Kubota provided them with a ship date but then Kubota was wrong on the ship date - ho knows

MountainCatBob

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 24, 2021
Abingdon, Virginia
Not enough information here to be saying they are a good or bad dealer - things happen sometimes. Maybe Kubota provided them with a ship date but then Kubota was wrong on the ship date - ho knows
I think it was lack of communication between sales and management. The owner turned real aggressive, bordering on downright nasty, when I came in to follow up on the parts for the hoe, a follow-up which the salesman suggested. Fortunately, the salesman had actually put the deal together and everything worked out.

Future purchases from this implement store? Probably won't happen because of management's temperament and general attitude--there are other options.

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
I had the worst time shopping for a tractor this round. Most dealers didn’t even get back to me with quotes prices an email or anything for that matter. Funny as they all took my email and contact info. I did a couple of days worth of looking at what dealers had on site. Not much obviously. I stopped at all of my local dealers farthest being 2 hour drive closest is Kubota @45 min away. I have another Kubota dealer about an hour in the opposite direction.
The one closest to my place actually had a used m7060 on site so I thought this was going to be a no brainer. Right size had a cab and used was originally the way I wanted to go but private asking prices were crazy high. It was being sold on consignment I was told but not given a price as it had just arrived and the owner was waiting for his property sale to close before letting it go. Said closing date was that Friday. I waited a week from that Friday then called to find out if it was up for sale. He actually sounded like he forgot I was even there to look at it. I was willing to leave a deposit the first visit but he wouldn’t take it. After a few more back and forth phone calls trying to make this happen I was made to feel like I was a pain in the ass a few times but I wasn’t giving up on this 7060. I did finally get it almost a month later and multiple phone calls and mixed up paper work by dealer. It literally needed nothing so I’m not sure what the hold up was but whatever. I kinda thought they were trying for more money on it but I had an inside source on the original owner so I knew the dealer could screw me I knew what he wanted to get out of it. If they tried something funny I was going to be all over them. Worked out fine in the long run and I ended up with the tractor I wanted.
The parts guys at this dealer are great and I’ve been dealing with them for 6-7years for my husky saws with only a few issues.
I’ll still buy from a dealer with crappy salesman I’m just never going to be loyal to them. If they aren’t the best price then I won’t go. Sad but if they were good to me I wouldn’t care if they were a few hundred more for an implement I’d support them.

If you just boycott a dealer they may have something you need that nobody else has so by not buying it your kinda letting that dealer screw you again.
My buddy that’s 4th generation beef farmer with a huge farm says dealers aren’t what they were in the old days. I asked his advise before shopping and his actual words were good luck.
Sorry for the kinda rant but I think it’s what I’m stuck with and a lot of others in my area at least till messick’s opens a dealer around me. Lol come on Neil Canada would be a pretty nice place to retire.

MountainCatBob

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 24, 2021
Abingdon, Virginia
I had the worst time shopping for a tractor this round. Most dealers didn’t even get back to me with quotes prices an email or anything for that matter.
I'm like you. Started my search and got no response. I got lucky and stopped by the local dealer to see what they had on their lot -- they had 2 - LX2610 with HST & 2 -BH77s just sitting there on the lot -- only 2 miles from home! There are 3-4 other Kubota dealers within an hour or two, plus I used to be mechanically adept so I'm hoping to order parts from some other source and do my own modifications--like front hydraulic lines for a root grapple.

I'm just thrilled to have my new working girl at home, under a tarp until I can build a decent shed!

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
I used to be mechanically adept so I'm hoping to order parts from some other source and do my own modifications--like front hydraulic lines for a root grapple.

I'm just thrilled to have my new working girl at home, under a tarp until I can build a decent shed!
Yup we are the same I’ll be doing what I can myself also. I’ll be posting what I do in a build sections. Just to busy with end of season and Xmas to get it started.