Dealer says hyd fluid is special

The Toolman

Equipment
BX1800 C-101 Wheel Horse
Mar 21, 2012
Lake of The Ozarks, Mo.
Says kubota's is synthetic. Says I need to buy his at $22.50 gal

Farm stores have universal for 46.98 for 5 gal.

Is there a place to get some good info on the hyd fluid for my bx 1800

Thanx,
Ron

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Oil/lubricant threads seldom end well, but I have used good quality non Kubota fluids in mine. Our dealer doesn't even stock the SUDT II.

Where I live it doesn't get particularly cold.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Says kubota's is synthetic. Says I need to buy his at $22.50 gal

Farm stores have universal for 46.98 for 5 gal.

Is there a place to get some good info on the hyd fluid for my bx 1800

Thanx,
Ron
Just about any tractor branded hydraulic oil will work well (New Holland, Case, Deere, Kubota, even Shell and Chevron.)

The universal oil is not so great. I tried Tractor Supply "Premium" in my BX2200 and it thinned out too much when it got hot. Transmission slipping and slow hydraulics.

Drained it out an put in New Holland Ambra. Improvement was immediate. I suspect small tractor hydraulics are a bit more sensitive to the quality of the oil.

Expect to pay $80 - $90 for a 5 gallon container. That will do about two changes in your BX1800 (2.7 gal. each change) so it is not that expensive in the long run (600 hrs.).

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
You won't lack on opinions when it comes to lubricants and it does get ugly at times. Your dealer can't make or require you to use their brand fluid unless they give it to you free of charge. As long as you use a fluid that meets or exceeds manufacturer requirements you are protected by law, Magnuson-Moss Act of 1975.

Yes the oil at TSC, Walmart and others will work but don't expect the same quality as the Kubota fluid or other brands of high quality fluid. Whether you pay the $22.50 gal. for SUDT, $80 or $90 for 5 gal. of New Holland Ambra or $185 for 5 gal. of Amsoil synthetic tractor hyd/trans fluid GWD said it right. The cost is spread out over 600hrs so it's really not as bad as it seems. I look at it this way, I never plan to sell my tractors and as far as I'm concerned I hope they will last forever. The little extra things I do now to maintain them will help in the long run to insure they last me the rest of my life and then my kids can worry about replacing them if need be. :cool:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
You won't lack on opinions when it comes to lubricants and it does get ugly at times. Your dealer can't make or require you to use their brand fluid unless they give it to you free of charge. As long as you use a fluid that meets or exceeds manufacturer requirements you are protected by law, Magnuson-Moss Act of 1975.

Yes the oil at TSC, Walmart and others will work but don't expect the same quality as the Kubota fluid or other brands of high quality fluid. Whether you pay the $22.50 gal. for SUDT, $80 or $90 for 5 gal. of New Holland Ambra or $185 for 5 gal. of Amsoil synthetic tractor hyd/trans fluid GWD said it right. The cost is spread out over 600hrs so it's really not as bad as it seems. I look at it this way, I never plan to sell my tractors and as far as I'm concerned I hope they will last forever. The little extra things I do now to maintain them will help in the long run to insure they last me the rest of my life and then my kids can worry about replacing them if need be. :cool:
I agree. While I don't buy into the sales pitch that the OP heard, I do believe that high quality fluids are in investment, not a dead expense. I would rather pay fair money now, and stay on a regimented schedule, than pay parts and repair prices later, when it could have been avoided. Determine what standards are needed for your tractor, and then find an oil that fits your budget and meets those requirements. You will be fine- everybody else has been.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Cheap or expensive I'd say bottom line no matter what you choose just stay ontop of regular routine maintenance and replace the fluid as its call for and change the filter as well.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
hahahaha.....I know that from my motorcycle forum times, talk about arguments.

Toolman now you know in the bike world there are no arguments,,,,
M1 15W50 in the motor and Red Line in the Primary and tranney,,,lol,, :rolleyes:
Really though this is pretty interesting cause my BX is comming due soon as well and like the man said its not bad over 600 hours,, but dayum its the sticker shock at the checkout counter!!

The Toolman

Equipment
BX1800 C-101 Wheel Horse
Mar 21, 2012
Lake of The Ozarks, Mo.

M1 15W50 in the motor and Red Line in the Primary and tranney,,,lol,, :rolleyes:
Really though this is pretty interesting cause my BX is comming due soon as well and like the man said its not bad over 600 hours,, but dayum its the sticker shock at the checkout counter!!

There ya go assuming again....;) I don't ride anymore, but my last few years was a Goldwing with 1 oil in it all

My only HD was back in the late 70's, it was a 57 sporty eng/tranny dumped into a hardtail frame with a 1930's something Indian Girder front end. Liked to broke my leg everytime I started it. :eek:

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri

Yep, one of our tractors takes 15 gallons and another a little over 11.

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I'm really not against using the good fluid, it just tee's me off how the dlrs ream there customers on the after the sale stuff.
Some do and some don't, like I mentioned our dealer doesn't even carry the expensive stuff and is OK with using a different good quality fluid.