D950 valve clearance

B8200 Owner

Apr 4, 2020
Kenosha, WI
I have a D950 in a B8200 and Need to know what the Valve clearance is. I have a couple of service books and can't find the correct value adjustment. Thought I had found it once before and it was about .020 but I'm not sure.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I think you are looking at .008 cold

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
B8200, please don’t misunderstand this ... I’m not looking to find fault with yourself....but I want to ask if you’ve got previous experience performing valve adjustments? The reason I ask, is that finding the specifications for this item is really quite simple and if one does not know how or where to look for that info (WSM) and have that book and the proper tools.... then I wonder if that is a task one should attempt to undertake... unless, of course you have some qualified help.
You don’t say how many hours of operation your D950 has accumulated, but unless it’s a low-time engine in-need of post break-in checks... or a high-time engine ...or unless it’s demonstrating performance or noise issues...the valve clearances aren’t likely to need attention... And an improper adjustment can introduce a problem where one did not previously exist.
There’s another participant in these forums who seems to think it necessary for his dealer to perform a valve adjustment annually... but that’s probably introducing the risk of more hazards to the engine than complete neglect of this task would. As an example, the WSM for my Kubota suggests that the first valve adjustment is not called for until 800 hrs and repeated at that interval subsequently. But I suspect there are thousands of these engines that have operated without that service for mutiple-decades and thousands of hours without any trouble at all. As you might imagine, an inexperienced person tinkering around inside the valve-cover could introduce troubles which might otherwise never occur. ;)

(On the other hand, If I’m only imagining this concern, then disregard this post.) 🤣

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
B8200, please don’t misunderstand this ... I’m not looking to find fault with yourself....but I want to ask if you’ve got previous experience performing valve adjustments? The reason I ask, is that finding the specifications for this item is really quite simple and if one does not know how or where to look for that info (WSM) and have that book and the proper tools.... then I wonder if that is a task one should attempt to undertake... unless, of course you have some qualified help.
You don’t say how many hours of operation your D950 has accumulated, but unless it’s a low-time engine in-need of post break-in checks... or a high-time engine ...or unless it’s demonstrating performance or noise issues...the valve clearances aren’t likely to need attention... And an improper adjustment can introduce a problem where one did not previously exist.
There’s another participant in these forums who seems to think it necessary for his dealer to perform a valve adjustment annually... but that’s probably introducing the risk of more hazards to the engine than complete neglect of this task would. As an example, the WSM for my Kubota suggests that the first valve adjustment is not called for until 800 hrs and repeated at that interval subsequently. But I suspect there are thousands of these engines that have operated without that service for mutiple-decades and thousands of hours without any trouble at all. As you might imagine, an inexperienced person tinkering around inside the valve-cover could introduce troubles which might otherwise never occur. ;)

(On the other hand, If I’m only imagining this concern, then disregard this post.) 🤣

Have a new person come to the forum and you basically tell him if he can't find the information he probably isn't qualified to adjust the valves.

Interesting, Skeets has been here for years, longer then you even, and he couldn't find any information on a bucket leveler just a week ago. Not putting Skeets down, just reminding you you're out of order and a bit arrogant perhaps.

Reactions: 2 users

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA

I think the simple fact that the OP asked the question that he exhibited enough experience to know what he is doing. It was obvious to me that he wanted to make sure he got the numbers right.

Reactions: 1 users

B8200 Owner

Apr 4, 2020
Kenosha, WI
Thanks everyone for your response. I did finally find the Spec at 0.0071 to 0.0087 Cold. Thanks 85Hokie and Northern Idaho Wolfman for the 0.008 Spec. That was right on..
Not thrilled with GeoHorn's response. Thanks both armylifer and D2Cat for that added comments.

Ikc1990

Equipment
Kubota m125x, m9000, b2710, and other equiptment
Dec 2, 2020
Vermont
Sorry I couldn't help to type this. But new or old the negative comments just shows the mentality of some. So take this with a grain of salt. Unless you know the person which then you would probably just call them, dont talk negative. Just cause some one is new to cute dosnt mean they dont have actually experience. This country is so entitled or college driven, now they are driving the workers that are the back bone out. Mechanics, plumber, farmer, electrician, drivers, maintenance, operators, and many more that have experience but no college. They can get much further than I went to college and never heard of this. If you know what I mean so with that said. Welcome b8200 owner. And geohorn, well enough said. And I'm not putting college education down but experience is in my book way better than college books. Also common sense seems to me much less than it once was. Merry Christmas everyone and to all have a good night

Reactions: 3 users

B8200 Owner

Apr 4, 2020
Kenosha, WI
Sorry I couldn't help to type this. But new or old the negative comments just shows the mentality of some. So take this with a grain of salt. Unless you know the person which then you would probably just call them, dont talk negative. Just cause some one is new to cute dosnt mean they dont have actually experience. This country is so entitled or college driven, now they are driving the workers that are the back bone out. Mechanics, plumber, farmer, electrician, drivers, maintenance, operators, and many more that have experience but no college. They can get much further than I went to college and never heard of this. If you know what I mean so with that said. Welcome b8200 owner. And geohorn, well enough said. And I'm not putting college education down but experience is in my book way better than college books. Also common sense seems to me much less than it once was. Merry Christmas everyone and to all have a good night
Thanks for the words of wisdom.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
I don’t know what you guys thought I was offering in my post...but clearly you didn’t read my opening and closing comments. My post was intended to be helpful. ... not critical.
But in any event, I don’t need your approval... I was addressing the OP.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I don’t know what you guys thought I was offering in my post...but clearly you didn’t read my opening and closing comments. My post was intended to be helpful. ... not critical.
But in any event, I don’t need your approval... I was addressing the OP.
Geo, when you walk into a room with 100 people and you can't get along with one of them, the problem is probably them. When you can't get along with 99 of them, you are the issue. Everyone that commented on your post read your post. Sometimes it isn't what you say, but how you say it. But you are right, you can be a d*#k to anyone you want.

To the OP, welcome to the forums and good luck with your valve adjustment.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Geo, when you walk into a room with 100 people and you can't get along with one of them, the problem is probably them. When you can't get along with 99 of them, you are the issue. Everyone that commented on your post read your post. Sometimes it isn't what you say, but how you say it. But you are right, you can be a d*#k to anyone you want.

To the OP, welcome to the forums and good luck with your valve adjustment.
What if it’s only 3 who are upset by you? .... and mostly because they “assume” they know tone-of-voice over the internet...

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Same rules apply. 9 out of 10, 1 out of 3 etc. Use the "old math".
YOu said it was “100” people.... Make up as much as you like... you still don’t read me right.