Credit Rating Nonsense

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
LOL I don't stay up nights worrying about anything Cat. People just need to be aware their credit score not only determines if they can get credit and at what rate, it also can affect other things such as your insurance rate and Lord knows what else.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
Some employers pull credit reports as part of the hiring process. I think they're technically not supposed to use it in their hiring decisions, but we all know how well that sort of thing works out.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
LOL I don't stay up nights worrying about anything Cat. People just need to be aware their credit score not only determines if they can get credit and at what rate, it also can affect other things such as your insurance rate and Lord knows what else.
Read post #2. 😁

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Read post #2. 😁
Post 2
Yes, the the credit rating has an impact on insurance rates, like for your car! It's all BS to keep people borrowing money.
OK touché' .... by the time I read through the entire thread I forgot the second post made by you already brought up credit affecting insurance. But I don't know of anyone who doesn't need credit, that keeps borrowing money in order to be able to borrow money?
The whole point is the rating system is flawed IMO. Yes people even in debt who borrow often and pay every loan back on, or ahead of, time should earn a good credit score. People with little money and no history of ever paying off loans should be scrutinized until they establish a good history of paying. But to nick the credit rating of people who have money in the bank, other assets, and no debt, seems irresponsible.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
You mind as well complain about oil prices or bank fees. Bottom line is that companies err on the side of profitability.

Your thinking is all wrong - you need to start thinking like The Donald. Inherit millions from a rich daddy, claim to be self made, then go bankrupt losing other peoples money. Fake that you made it and repeat.

Making a million dollars is easy. First, you start with a million dollars....

AllPawDrive

Feb 6, 2021
Aroostook County, Maine
At the low to mid credit rating levels, it is true that the algorithm that calculates a credit score is designed to spit out a number that estimates your ability to repay.

However, at the tippy top of the credit rating scale, the formula changes a bit. It’s not only based on your ability to repay, it’s also based on your use of credit, ie how good of a customer you are. Are you borrowing money and repaying on time WITH interest? They are in the business of making money so to get to that high score, you need to be actively paying interest.

If you always pay your debts on time but never incur interest, you can easily get to the low 800s. A score that any employer would be more than happy with or get you the best insurance rates.

Reactions: 1 user

Nightvision

Equipment
Kubota L4701, 6’ tiller, 5’ woods mower, 10’ Brillion cultipacker, 50 gallon spr
Jan 26, 2021
Middle Georgia
How the heck are you guys getting credit scores in the 800+ range?!! :unsure: I've never made it to 800 and am currently sitting around 760 or so. I guess the new tractor purchased using Kubota 0% financing will ding my credit score even more. This thread got me looking at how our credit scores are calculated. I wonder if 401K balances are figured into the calculation, or checking/savings balances.

1. Payment history: The record that demonstrates whether or not you make timely payments on your account. It accounts for 35% of your credit score.
  2. Credit utilization: The percentage of your available credit you have used. A lower ratio is better. This accounts for 30% of your credit score.
  3. Age of credit: How long you’ve had credit and how old your accounts are. It accounts for 15% of your credit score.
  4. Types of accounts: The diversity of your credit mix. This accounts for 10% of your credit score.
  5. Application history: How many times you have applied for various forms of credit in the past two years. This accounts for the last 10% of your credit score.
We are old and have had credit for a long time😂

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
We are old and have had credit for a long time😂
Hey, I'm no spring chicken! 😊 I've had credit in the US since 1989 but maybe I'm just getting started compared to some on this forum! 😂

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I pay off my business credit card every week, since I use it for business. My credit score changes every week, depending on how much I owe on the day that they do the reporting since I personally guarantee my credit card account. Last week, I made a payment to clear the balance for March 1st, and my automatic payment also pulled money from my checking account. Now I have in excess of $2000 positive in my credit card account. It will only take a day or two to bring that down to a 0 balance, and then it will start climbing up again. On Friday, I will pay it off again, and the cycle goes on every week of the year. It must drive the credit reporting companies crazy, and my score goes in wild swings from 840 - 860. Never got a rating higher than 860, but I Henro, I own everythng that I have, and owe virtually nothing to anyone. In business, 30 day credit is needed to keep merchandise moving in and out. When we had to shut down for Covid, all debts were paid immediately. When we reopened, the cycle repeated. That is life in the business world. Almost all business's run on credit.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
You mind as well complain about oil prices or bank fees. Bottom line is that companies err on the side of profitability.

Your thinking is all wrong - you need to start thinking like The Donald. Inherit millions from a rich daddy, claim to be self made, then go bankrupt losing other peoples money. Fake that you made it and repeat.

Making a million dollars is easy. First, you start with a million dollars....
The majority of the wealth in the US is self made. Also , companies don't err on the side of profitability they aggressively pursue profitability. Its survival. There is no shame in it. As a consumer you are blessed to live in the US where there are so many options available. Nuff said.

Reactions: 1 users

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Credit scores do serve a purpose. It eliminates a human being to review your credit file and financial information to see if you should be granted credit. Someone punches in the info from your credit application and the system comes back with a No or Yes and how much. This way, if you are declined, you cannot complain (sue) that you were singled out.
An old line credit reviewers would say was ".. Yeah, he will probably pay the XXX...' In my book, either the loan/credit is justified and the borrower WILL repay barring a catastrophe or they are declined. I really abhor 'easy credit' and 'everyone is approved'.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Why? Someone else may have something to say and I will read it.
Nuff said by me to Mikester while perched upon my powerful ,graceful, and dependable high horse. I believe this comment would have been taken as thus implied by most. Let me know if you have further questions or concerns as the stable beckons.

Last edited:

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Not a problem here and I agree with you. I was just trying to follow the topic line as it relates to Credit Ratings.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
This statement is not accurate. No one is penalized by society because they don't carry a load of debt. Credit cards are a good example of non collateralized lending. Any knucklehead with a social security number can just about get a credit card. The US banking system is in many ways the envy of the world. Banking is highly regulated but believe me if they don't make loans they go out of business. The ability to establish and maintain creditworthiness is vital to most all individuals and businesses here. No banks=no business=no jobs=no food........Wall Street finances the biggest and best achievements in human history. I see the glass more than half full on this one.
So, do you work for the banking industry?

KTuk4J

Equipment
B2650 Duetz Allis 6275 CAT D6 CAT 110B
Mar 2, 2020
NW OR
Credit Karma is decent. I would recommend. Never paid them a dime, just somehow got signed up through freecreditreport.com or something. They send emails once a month, tell you when your score's changed or someone searched your credit. It's nice to click one button on the email and see what's going on with your credit if you need/want to.
^^^ This
Yeah, unfortunately you have to keep things on credit on order to maintain credit......

I like to pay cash, still have a small mortgage, however I do maintain a couple of credit cards and try to put all my monthly expenses on them and pay them off before interest is charged just to keep my score up incase I ever need to use it, and for insurance purposes as well.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Another interesting factoid, the higher the limit on your card(s) the higher your credit score. A lower limit is a signal that you aren't capable of managing debt.

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
Keep in mind that when applying for a loan credit score isn't everything. The bank/lender is looking at risk and credit score is just one part of that. They'll also be looking at your income vs debt, any liens against you, your current assets and investments. So just because you have a score of 740 if you have 500k in assets, 0 debt, and an income that can support the loan term you'll most likely get not only the loan but also the lowest interest rate.

On the inverse of this someone can have a credit score of 850 but if their income vs debt is too high for certain banks they'll get rejected.

Other than that credit scores really just impact your ability to rent a car or other odds and ends things that as long as you are average or better you won't be impacted negatively.