COVID-19 Stuff

Carry on with the political ranting, mud slinging, name calling, and insults, or close the thread.

• Leave it open

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Close the thread

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
My good friend in Maine just sent me an email I cannot confirm as fact but he messaged me and told me 35,000 confirmed Covid cases today most all in the southern US, Florida, Texas, Arizona and the Carolina's.

Wowzer.
Any one actually ill?

Just wondering, because "cases" can mean so many things.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Any one actually ill?

100 deaths in Maine since the beginning, who knows if they are really deaths from Covid or pre-existing conditions. Schools systems here are already talking about not returning in the fall.
Its not the covid im worried about, its the crazy thats going around.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
A friend in Tennessee wrote today that one of the health care team taking care of him after his surgery had come down with it. She presumably caught it from her son, who barely had a sniffle, but tested positive when he was checked. She is in her 50s, a fitness instructor, and said she was spiking fevers and had never felt that sick in her life. I am hoping my friend was only around her before she was exposed.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Any one actually ill?

Don't know. I was told that by someone else but it was in USA Today, today as well. I know someone who died from Covid here in Michigan and it wasn't pretty. Bottom line for me is, it might all be BS but I'm not taking any chances, BS or not.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I'm in a pretty good spot as far as interacting with other people goes. I'm retired so no job contact and I farm alone so nothing there either. My only contacts are my wife who also practices mitigation and a couple good friends who also do the same and that's it for my contacts with the outside world and candidly, I like it just fine that way.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
Don't know. I was told that by someone else but it was in USA Today, today as well. I know someone who died from Covid here in Michigan and it wasn't pretty. Bottom line for me is, it might all be BS but I'm not taking any chances, BS or not.
"It wasn't pretty"

Is any death "pretty"?

It happens 3 MILLION times every year, just in the US of A.
It is never pretty, but it is inevitable.

eta
Take a Guess what the Average age of Covid mortality is......

80 years would be right.

Average longevity in the US of A?

80 years.

Go figure.....

Reactions: 1 user

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
My good friend in Maine just sent me an email I cannot confirm as fact but he messaged me and told me 35,000 confirmed Covid cases today most all in the southern US, Florida, Texas, Arizona and the Carolina's.

Wowzer.
Well count people that don't have it being reported wrong (like my father) and every double positive test counted (nose and throat), that number will jump. You should probably stay home anyway flip.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Death isn't pretty, death comes to everyone, you, me, everyone. Having said that however, death can be calm and peaceful or death can be violent and painful.

You come into this world naked and afraid, you leave the same way...

Wife made a comment last night I agree with. She said maybe the Covid thing is 'Natural Selection', God's way of 'thinning the herd'.

It needs thinned.

Far as quoting statistics like you did, anyone can cherry pick what they want to get the summation they want. I don't buy into that crap at all.

Back to the he said, she said, they said scenarios.

So long as my wife and I aren't part of the thinning, I'm good with that and we will do everything possible to stay on this side of the dirt.

You choice is yours entirely. Don't care if you practice mitigation because in the end, only you have to answer for your actions, no one else.

Have a good time with that.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Being an adult (over the age of emancipation), you get to make choices that can positively or adversely impact your life.

It's entirely your choice (and mine) and I choose mitigation, what you choose is entirely your business, not mine but again, don't impose you choices on me (like standing behind me in a line, coughing with no mask on or standing the required 6 foot distance (something health experts say will contribute to mitigation)) because you are infringing on my personal choices and I will 'tune you up' at that point in time.

Just like infringing on my right to bear arms. Don't do it because you won't like the reaction.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
I'm in a pretty good spot as far as interacting with other people goes. I'm retired so no job contact and I farm alone so nothing there either. My only contacts are my wife who also practices mitigation and a couple good friends who also do the same and that's it for my contacts with the outside world and candidly, I like it just fine that way.
If you are at retirement age I will just assume you're at, around, or over 60 years of age. Given that, I think taking some common sense mitigation measures is smart. I don't think anyone can really argue against just some basic common sense things like this. I don't begrudge people out wearing masks and things. In Asian countries, it is very common for folks to wear surgical masks there all the time when they are sick with flu, cold, or anything. There are a few folks here who will do this as well if they are feeling sick - they will just wear a mask when out. That's all fine. I dont focus much on the individual. I am a strong individualist. Because of this however I tend to be fairly resistant when the government shuts the entire economy down, destroys peoples financial lives, starts arresting people and charging them with crimes for not wearing a mask, and upends nearly everyone's life in some form over what is a minor respiratory illness for the vast majority of people. There is even a very valid health based argument out there that, in todays world, you cant just shut down a viral pandemic by issuing "shelter in place" orders and taking all these draconian measures we have taken. So the argument is that we cripple the economy, force millions out of their jobs, kill many who have cancer and other conditions who need surgery or other procedures but are put on hold - kill a lot of rural hospitals who cant afford to just be shut down with no income. We do all of these things to hopefully "flatten the curve" - not kill the spread of the virus, because thats impossible, but to hopefully flatten it a little. The medical argument is that the best way to get over a viral pandemic is for the population to build up an army of immune hosts. The only way that happens is for people to be infected. All of those asymptomatic people walking around are the soon to be immune hosts. Eventually the virus can no longer spread as it hits lots of dead ends. So the question is what have we gained at this point by destroying our economy and forcing millions out of work? I can tell you one thing, if I was one of the people who had lost his job over this mess, I would be extremely angry about it. I know some folks who have went from a great life to sitting on the edge of financial ruin right now because of the measures we have taken - Their days now consumed by anxiety for their future and how they will pay their bills. When you see the damage done by the measures, its hard to ignore. When you also see the vast majority of people testing positive having hardly any symptoms, the whole response starts to look drastically over played. After all the draconian measures are taken, we STILL have to deal with the virus spreading because that still doesnt stop it, so we are just inflicting even more harm on ourselves and our society.

I think the way it should be handled is to have common sense measures in place - encourage folks to wear masks. Encourage the elderly to keep their distance for their safety. Nursing facilities like those my wife is working at now should heavily guard against all visits to the facility - I do think this is a good measure because that is where the most vulnerable are living, and they are there in large quantities and in close proximity to each other. Put out public notices, make sure folks are aware, safeguard those most vulnerable, but then the rest of us should be allowed to continue our lives and our work and move forward. Eventually enough people will get the virus, develope antibodies, and become immune. These immune people will then become dead ends for the virus. Evnetually enough dead ends are developed through natural biology, and the virus will die out, or in some cases morph, like the flu virus does, and get around our immunity somewhat. This is a biological battle that has occured for thousands of years. None of this is new. How we have responded this time however has been entirely new. I hope to god this isnt the new precedent for how we plan to respond everytime a new coronavirus or bird flu, or swine flu, or other respiratory virus shows up. If it is, we will literally jump from panic to panic every 5 to 10 years. Why are we so addicted to panic and outrage as a society today?

Reactions: 2 users

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
In WV some more fake inflated numbers to get scared over,

"Justice told reporters Wednesday there is “every reason to believe” that the state’s active COVID-19 caseload is smaller than what was reported due to recovered cases being included in the active case numbers, the Herald-Dispatch reported. He did not offer specific details. "

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Why are we so addicted to panic and outrage as a society today?

Good question on that and I agree with your synopsis. Trying to convince the power hungry governors of various states that, well it's a very uphill battle an d yes, if I was 60 again, I'd be a whore......... :p

The only answer I can come up with on that addiction is the Obama holdover.... "Never let a crisis go to waste'... That and the media constantly sensationalizing things that should be condemned not sensationalized instead.

Good example was the noose in the NASCAR garage. Upon further investigation, it was determine that is wasn't a noose at all, but a looped rope door pull and it was that way for a long time. Of course the media blew it all out of proportions

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Good question on that and I agree with your synopsis. Trying to convince the power hungry governors of various states that, well it's a very uphill battle an d yes, if I was 60 again, I'd be a whore......... :p

The only answer I can come up with on that addiction is the Obama holdover.... "Never let a crisis go to waste'... That and the media constantly sensationalizing things that should be condemned not sensationalized instead.

Good example was the noose in the NASCAR garage. Upon further investigation, it was determine that is wasn't a noose at all, but a looped rope door pull and it was that way for a long time. Of course the media blew it all out of proportions
The culture of outrage however predates Obama I would argue, by many years at least. I often think on the psychological motivations at play in the ills of todays society. I could write a book here on some conclusions Ive made that I feel are well founded and sound, but it would be, as I said, a book, and would not make for good reading. I do think it is an ill of our society today, and one that is amplified by our severe partisanship. Each side of the political and social divide is increasingly motivated by desires to destroy the other side, to the point that it infects our very being, warps our perspectives, narrows our vision, and tunnels into a path of destruction. Truth be damned, Reason of thought be damned, all of those virtues are sacrificed at the alter of partisanship.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Well count people that don't have it being reported wrong (like my father) and every double positive test counted (nose and throat), that number will jump. You should probably stay home anyway flip.
How do you know that your father was counted?
Do you have proof that he was put on the rolls as having covid?
Just being admitted as a possible Covid infected person does not mean he was counted as having covid.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
All I know is, the cases are skyrocketing in states that relaxed mitigation procedures (masks and social distancing) and allowed places like bars to open back up... and BANG off it went. People are their own worst enemies.

Covid never vanished, it was always out there waiting and from what I see, it's doing a bang up job of infecting again. Read California had 7500 new cases yesterday and Florida was close behind. My wife made a comment to the effect that it's 'natural selection'. I don't want to be 'selected' and will continue to do just as I always have.

Interestingly, I read that younger folks are now getting infected and getting very sick as well. Maybe the virus has mutated (like the common flu does) and is now impacting the young and old.

Places like Oklahoma and North and South Carolina that were basically virus free are now in the thick of it as well as Arizona.

I keep thinking the new 'normal' will be masks and social distancing whether people like it or not. In fact, it (masks) may become mandatory, just like wearing a seat belt when driving and non compliance may be a criminal offense. One never knows. I grew up before seat belts were mandatory, heck my first cars didn't even have them. Today, you can get a ticket for not wearing one. Same could easily apply to masks.

No matter how you slice it, sure don't look good for Covid infections today.

With my wife and I, so far so good but then again we are careful and sure don't socialize, go to bars or congregate with others.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
How do you know that your father was counted?
Do you have proof that he was put on the rolls as having covid?
Just being admitted as a possible Covid infected person does not mean he was counted as having covid.
He showed up with a broken hip (his temp was 99.8. He was admitted as a covid patient and when he was released he was still listed as a covid admittance. I know this because my wife works there.

My wife also said 1/2 the people that come in with sprains, breaks and muscle issues are running the "new fever" 99.5+ (it always used to be over 100.4) and get admitted as covid patients. Total BS numbers. When you hear "a huge spike in admittance" that is where a lot of it is coming from.

Did the hospital fudge the number reported to the state? (like in the case of my father).
Did the state fudge the numbers reported to the feds? (like in the case of WV)
Did the feds fudge the numbers before releasing to the general public?

How much fudging does it take?

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I see New Hampshire had 10 Covid deaths in one day this week . The biggest one day death rate in New Hampshire since the virus started.
I know Sleddog , two were drowings , one hit on a bicycle, one killed on a motocycle, three were car crashes, the remainder were rabies ?
No. I think the virus gott'em all. That's why I stay home and wear a mask when I go to the hardware.
Masks save lives according to Dr.Fauci. I'll listen to him.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
I see New Hampshire had 10 Covid deaths in one day this week . The biggest one day death rate in New Hampshire since the virus started.
I know Sleddog , two were drowings , one hit on a bicycle, one killed on a motocycle, three were car crashes, the remainder were rabies ?
No. I think the virus gott'em all. That's why I stay home and wear a mask when I go to the hardware.
Wouldnt hazmat suits for high risk people save MORE lives though? Or mandatory lockdown for high risk...Wouldnt that also save MORE lives?

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
No, but 8 of them WERE in long care facilities. That is why I am staying away from elderly care facilities. EVERYONE should stay away from elderly care facilities.

You don't have to make stuff up WFM the media is doing plenty of that.

This was not a (why wear a mask/condom/helmet/roll-cage) point I was making I, was referring to the inaccurate numbers and BS reporting. Bad data makes people scared. Some guy here wants to shoot people right now for standing too close based on BS numbers.

Wear a mask if you want, same goes for a helmet. Do you wear a fitted N95 mask? The mask thing is a scale issue. A lot of people are not very good with numbers.

fence-joke.jpg

This is almost a perfect scale representation of the average mask being used.

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
No, but 8 of them WERE in long care facilities and 2 of them WERE in hospice. That is why I am staying away from elderly care facilities.

You don't have to make stuff up WFM the media is doing plenty of that.

This was not a (why wear a mask/condom/helmet/roll-cage) point I was making I, was referring to the inaccurate numbers and BS reporting. Bad data makes people scared. Some guy here wants to shoot people right now for standing too close based on BS numbers.

Wear a mask if you want, same goes for a helmet. Do you wear a fitted N95 mask? The mask thing is a scale issue. A lot of people are not very good with numbers.

View attachment 45089

This is almost a perfect scale representation of the average mask being used.
That cartoon is silly in the current conversation for more than the obvious reasons. No mask would be able to prevent the passage of a single virus. A virus is a little parcel of RNA and a lipid coat, in this case with spikes on it. Sub micron in size. I assume this is the scale being referred to by the cartoonist with his chainlink
fence.
However viruses are in real life found in droplets and aerosols exhaled from the person that is hosting them, and these are much bigger and can be caught by mask material. You can actually see droplets in the air when someone sneezes. The most effective inhibition of spread of the virus is found when both infected and uninfected people (everyone) wears masks. The chainlink fence would keep many dogs in or out.

Status
Not open for further replies.