Coupling for grapple not connecting

IronRyan

Equipment
Kubota 3560
Apr 1, 2023
Tennessee
Hey guys, another newbie question. I can’t get the hydraulic coupling attached on my grapple. Here’s a video of what’s happening. I got the pressure bled off so it’s not a pressure issue. I don’t understand what I’m doing wrong. Any help appreciated.

thanks,
Ryan

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Hey guys, another newbie question. I can’t get the hydraulic coupling attached on my grapple. Here’s a video of what’s happening. I got the pressure bled off so it’s not a pressure issue. I don’t understand what I’m doing wrong. Any help appreciated.

thanks,
Ryan
First, welcome.
Second, thank you for posting a video.
For your issue, you'll need to pull the collar back on the female fitting at the same time as you push the two together.

Reactions: 1 user

IronRyan

Equipment
Kubota 3560
Apr 1, 2023
Tennessee
First, welcome.
For your issue, you'll need to pull the collar back on the female fitting at the same time as you push the two together.
First, welcome.
I definitely get what you're saying, i've given it all i had, pulling back as i tried to connect it, it still doesn't seem to want to connect. I'll give it another try tomorrow, but do you have any other ideas?

SusanDuffy

Equipment
B2601
Apr 8, 2022
Bremerton, Washington
I’ve had this issue too, with my grapple. I ordered a Waite tool to bleed off the pressure, it did the job but i was still unable to connect it. I paid a tractor repairman to come to the house, he determined that the brand new female coupling was faulty. He replaced the coupling and now all is well.

Reactions: 1 users

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Got to relieve the pressure from both sides… cycle the third function tractor on not running.

Steamer Pete

Equipment
LX2610
Mar 29, 2021
Holland, MI

thanks,
Ryan
True.........you have to have the tractor off so you're not fighting the pressure, but also, look at the knurled sleeve. There's a small notch in it. There's a small pin that this must rotate and line up to to allow it to travel back far enough. Looking at your video, you're not lined up. Let us know how things work out for ya !

dieselbob69

Equipment
Kubota BX2380 (previously a BX1870 and GR2100)...
Jan 2, 2022
WNY
There’s a little tit that goes into the u shaped notch - those must line up. Then once they line up, it’ll connect, then you turn it so it’ll stay connected

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I had the same problem just yesterday, and I got out my spare male and female couplings and a rag. Used the two couplings to put onto the tractor side to relieve the pressure, and all is well now. I pushed the couplings on with a rag at the open end where the hose goes, and also use rubber mechanics gloves to protect myself. The spare couplings came from Summit through Amazon Prime. Best $30 I spent on the tractor!

IronRyan

Equipment
Kubota 3560
Apr 1, 2023
Tennessee
I’ve had this issue too, with my grapple. I ordered a Waite tool to bleed off the pressure, it did the job but i was still unable to connect it. I paid a tractor repairman to come to the house, he determined that the brand new female coupling was faulty. He replaced the coupling and now all is well.
I've hooked the grapple no more than 5 times since i bought it new. ugh....

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
Do as the others have said, I had a similar problem and there was a small nick on the face of the female coupling, once filed it worked fine. At first, I didn't think it mattered but it did.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I definitely get what you're saying, i've given it all i had, pulling back as i tried to connect it, it still doesn't seem to want to connect. I'll give it another try tomorrow, but do you have any other ideas?
Oh crap. I just realized those are flat face couplers. I was thinking they were pioneer style.
There may be pressure on the attachment side keeping you from connecting. As mentioned, there is a tool like Susan mentioned. You can also make pigtails with pioneer to use when the attachment is off. Skip to 8 minutes.

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee

thanks,
Ryan
There is a notch in rear of the sliding locking collar that must align with a ball intent. This will allow the the collar to come back and connect.
This feature also locks the couplers together if they get accidentally bumped.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
On the coupling you're trying to connect, right where your left hand gloved finger is you'll see knurled (ridge pattern) place to grip. Pull that sleeve part back a bit as you try to engage the rest of the fitting. It will engage and lock then.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
You sir have the patients of Jobe.....Had I made that video, the amount of cussing, swearing and sh!t flying everywhere would have been comical.

I think D2Cat is on to something, but I also moved my couplers to a more upright angle cause for some reason that downward angle made it tough for me to make the connection.

I think the new angle makes it easier to use my right hand to make the connection.

20230116_101558[1].jpg

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
You sir have the patients of Jobe.....Had I made that video, the amount of cussing, swearing and sh!t flying everywhere would have been comical.

I think D2Cat is on to something, but I also moved my couplers to a more upright angle cause for some reason that downward angle made it tough for me to make the connection.

I think the new angle makes it easier to use my right hand to make the connection.

View attachment 100080
From a past post here on OTT I modified a pair of welders vise grips, to hold and clamp the female locking slide in the released/open position.
Works great for me, with weak arthritic old hands.

IronRyan

Equipment
Kubota 3560
Apr 1, 2023
Tennessee

View attachment 100080
Ohh trust me, i made the video PG, but off camera was definitely rated R for strong language!

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
The grapple Has to be closed cylinders extended all the way . If there open just the slitest bit there PSI on the fitting. Unhooking i turn off thactor then turn key butt do not start hit the grapple buttens a copule of times to open the solenoid valve to bleed off any psi in the system then disconnect hoses. I have found this to be a fool proof method. It only took me a 1/2 dozen times to figure this out.

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
From a past post here on OTT I modified a pair of welders vise grips, to hold and clamp the female locking slide in the released/open position.
Works great for me, with weak arthritic old hands.
Can you post a pic of the grips you modified? I am thinking I would want to make something like that to make my life easier as well.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Can you post a pic of the grips you modified? I am thinking I would want to make something like that to make my life easier as well.
Wish I could help.
I am still in my stay warm in Winter mode, here in Florida.
Grips and tractors are in my barn in New England.

If you buy a pair of cheap welders pliers at HF, you may be able to figure it out for yourself.
All that is necessary is to slightly grind away a shallow half moon area on each side of the jaws, so they grab the coupler securely to hold it open, when you squeeze and hold (or lock) the pliers.

Last edited: