Concerned about used L4600 HST maint.

Tropical Jack

Equipment
Kubota L3301 w/ FEL & BH, tilt and trim, chipper, box blade, grading blade
Newbie here, but not new to tractors. I am considering purchasing an L4600 with FEL, backhoe, and some attachments. Has about 250 hours. Main problem is that the engine oil has only been changed once. Hydro oil and filters have never been changed. Tractor is local to me, and “has the right stuff” for my use. Should I run? Other problem is the seller says they recently paid off Kubota credit, but “does not have paperwork”.

Jack

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Get the serial number and call KCC and find out. Without the initial 50 hour change everything concerning lubrication is a crapshoot. I'd forget it myself.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
250 hours is when the first oil change is due on my rental equipment. ;) Some of said equipment now has over 10,000 hours on it :D I wouldn't think twice about buying it over that issue. I would just plan on a front to back service before using for any length of time.

How does the equipment look? Is it clean and look good, or is it beat to snot? Dented, obvious signs of misuse?

Tropical Jack

Equipment
Sidecar - Good idea. I will contact Kubota credit. Just seems like the seller would (should) provide something.

Daren - The tractor runs and looks good. No dents or signs of abuse. Kept well greased, and all pins seem tight. The machine is 5 years old, and the guy cannot find his original invoice or any paperwork with Kubota. Weird. Says be bought the backhoe a year ago, but does not have the invoice or manual. Hood is a little faded (been stored outside for last year or two). I have always had old beat tractors, so this seems pristine to me. The unit has been for sale on Craigslist for over a month.

Jack

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Craigslist is definitely a buyer beware market. Lots of scams. If it's too good to be true, it probably is.

As far as manuals go, I probably couldn't provide one for most of the stuff in my garage, from my chainsaw, to law equipment. I do happen to have the paperwork for my zero turn and my camper. But those are the exception. My previous mower, I had the manual to start out with, then it got lost after a couple years. Some folks keep up pretty well with manuals and paperwork. Others, it gets lost in the abyss :rolleyes:

5 years between oil changes isn't good. But then again my dad's L2250 has probably had maybe 6 oil changes in 25 years. Still runs good. My L1501 probably went 10 yrs before it got an oil change. Don't figure the two prior owners serviced it.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I'd ask the seller where he purchased the tractor. Then contact that dealership to confirm his story. I'd just want to know he actually owned it. Then if all proves out, use the lack of fluid changes as a negotiating tool.

Tropical Jack

Equipment
D2Cat - That seems like a good idea. But, when I asked the seller for proof that he owned the tractor - he had the dealer (in Georgia) email him an invoice. Then the seller forwarded it to me. The invoice only had the tractor (L4600) and FEL on it. And the FEL was the wrong one. Listed it as LA 844 instead of LA764 which is what is on the tractor. I think that I need to contact Kubota, and make sure there is no current financing on the tractor or backhoe before I proceed. I am beginning to understand the incentive to buy new!

Jack

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
Before I bought the used M, I asked the seller [a JD dealer] if he had any paperwork or service info.
He had zip on it, they took it in trade with an older MF for a giant green machine and the dealer wanted a quick flip.
He did say the PO pretty much only hayed with it and hauled his maple syrup stuff around.
The machine had 1100 hrs and looked like it had not worked really hard so I bought it and immediately did a full fluids and filters change and greasing.
The old hyd fluid did not look bad but who knows.
I bit the bullet and so far so good.
YMMV.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Yes Jack, do your due diligence before passing any funds to this guy. There seems to be some loop holes in his testimony.

Does he have a reason for lack of standard maintenance? And the invoice the seller forwarded to you from the Georgia dealer seems suspect to me. However, since you now have a copy of the invoice it will have the dealer's name and contact number, so call and have a first person conversation about any question you have. Like why is a different loader now on the machine?

Or better yet, ask the seller why the loader is different, and why maintenance was extended. Why did he buy the back hoe one year ago? I smell something fishy here.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Agreed- something is fishy. Before being concerned about the lack of service, I'd be suspicious of it being a stolen tractor. Zero paperwork is a big concern.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Just casually mention that you'll buy it, but you'll have to have your BIL ( a sheriff's deputy) come over with you to check it out and help you pick it up. ;)

greeno

Equipment
B2710 w/LA402 FEL, BL4690 hoe, RB1560, GS1560, Haban 5' sickle bar, 5' JD RC
Jul 14, 2018
Big Lake MN
Yeah, it ain’t the maintenance I’m worried about on this unit.

Ain’t worth it, keep looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tropical Jack

Equipment
So, I decided to put it up to the seller. Sent him an email explaining that I was still interested in the tractor, but only if he provided some documentation that Kubota Credit had been paid off. That was 4 days ago. Haven’t heard a peep. I think this deal is smelling pretty bad. As advised, I am moving on.

Jack

CapnDean

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060,ZD1211
Feb 22, 2018
Gulfport, MS USA
FWIW: I bought 2 machines (L3901 & ZD1211) while they were still financed by Kubota.
I trusted that the sellers would pay them off. I contacted the selling dealership in BOTH instances and asked that they edit the ownership information in the Kubota database so that future recell notices etc will come to me. They did it without even requiring me to 'prove' that I bought it... Just a quick call to the seller to verify that they sold it.

CobraTom

Equipment
L5030, L3430, L4310, L3410, B3030 , R510 currently..
Sep 19, 2011
Ontario
If you are in a state that does not have titles for tractors (I think most do not), a lien can not be put on a tractor the same way it can on a car, as in, you purchase it and the credit is not paid of, they can not repossess it from you, they have to sue the previous owner/original loan holder.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Before I bought the used M, I asked the seller [a JD dealer] if he had any paperwork or service info.
He had zip on it, they took it in trade with an older MF for a giant green machine and the dealer wanted a quick flip.
He did say the PO pretty much only hayed with it and hauled his maple syrup stuff around.
The machine had 1100 hrs and looked like it had not worked really hard so I bought it and immediately did a full fluids and filters change and greasing.
The old hyd fluid did not look bad but who knows.
I bit the bullet and so far so good.
YMMV.
One thing to always keep in mind is that hydraulic fluid hardly ever 'looks used' unlike engine oil that gets loaded with combustion by products, hydraulic oil don't. The best way to ascertain whether the hydraulic oil is past it's useful life is do a spectro analysis on it. That tells all. Besides cutting the filters open to see what is inside, analysis is the best bet.

Tropical Jack

Equipment
Tom,

That is simply untrue. If you sign a financing agreement with a lender, the lender has the right to seize the collateral (tractor in this case) for nonpayment without suing you. That is the whole idea of collateral.

Jack