Compassion shown by 23 month old

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Our situation - about 13 months ago we had an opportunity to be foster parents "for a few months" for a 10 month old baby girl. A lot has happened since then, and there are many details we can't mention. We are now moving to adopt her. This isn't the retirement we pictured, but we wouldn't want it any other way.

Yesterday while she was napping seemed like a great time to put up a couple racks in the shed for the garden hoses. The 1/4" impact gun slipped and the #2 phillips bit went through my thumb. I wrapped a paper towel around it, secured it with a couple wraps of electrical tape and finished the project.

When I got back to the house, Wifey asked if I could get Sweet Pea up from her nap. The bleeding had stopped, so I did a quick wash and set out to do just that before wrapping it in something better than a paper towel. Sweet Pea notices everything. When I picked her up she pointed to the sort-of cleaned up thumb and was quite upset. I told her my "ouchy" was going to be OK. She then snatched the pacifier from her own mouth and tried to plug it into mine.

I was completely taken by that. It showed me how much comfort the pacifier provided for her, and that she wanted share it so I could be OK.

• Love
Reactions: 17 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Chim - -

don’t want or need to know more, but good for you to head down this road.

Not my retirement dream either, but it sounds like Sweet Pea will be better off for a long lifetime ahead of her.

To say I applaud you and the Mrs. is an understatement.

Exemplary is the only word that comes to mind.

God bless you folks… I mean that with the utmost sincerity.

Reactions: 6 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Chim, God bless you. I don’t know you but have seen enough to know that little girl is blessed as much as y’all are.

(and electrical tape and paper towels is a perfectly good bandage)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Our situation - about 13 months ago we had an opportunity to be foster parents "for a few months" for a 10 month old baby girl. A lot has happened since then, and there are many details we can't mention. We are now moving to adopt her. This isn't the retirement we pictured, but we wouldn't want it any other way.

Yesterday while she was napping seemed like a great time to put up a couple racks in the shed for the garden hoses. The 1/4" impact gun slipped and the #2 phillips bit went through my thumb. I wrapped a paper towel around it, secured it with a couple wraps of electrical tape and finished the project.

When I got back to the house, Wifey asked if I could get Sweet Pea up from her nap. The bleeding had stopped, so I did a quick wash and set out to do just that before wrapping it in something better than a paper towel. Sweet Pea notices everything. When I picked her up she pointed to the sort-of cleaned up thumb and was quite upset. I told her my "ouchy" was going to be OK. She then snatched the pacifier from her own mouth and tried to plug it into mine.

I was completely taken by that. It showed me how much comfort the pacifier provided for her, and that she wanted share it so I could be OK.
"Sweat Pea" will reward you with many years of true happiness!
She is a very lucky little girl, and the two of you are very special people.

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
I can relate to the goodness and happiness a child can bring to ones life.
We are caregivers for our 18 month old grandson. His mother and father work full time so we pick up the care during the work week.
It is not what I imagined retirement to be but despite the long days [pick him up at 7 am, return him at 6 pm.] we are overjoyed to have the chance to have him in our lives

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I applaud you for taking this on. Raising a child is the most rewarding and challenging thing a person can do. To take it on in your retirement is very admirable and shows how much you care for others.

1badDart

Sep 7, 2021
W. KY.
That's why I love small children, you show them a little love and affection and they'll return it multiplied many times over. We never know what impact even a kind word can have on a childs life.

My hat's off to the OP and good luck with your adoption.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Awesome my internet friend!

The big squeezes are the best! My 6 year old little girl is my world, although I am her dad and have to enforce rules we are also buddies.

Laying on a blanket in the yard, just staring at the sky can yield so many questions! We enjoy doing this, then a picnic usually follows.

Best of luck!

Jay

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
It is said,," children bring the most heart wrenching pain and the most happiness." I'll ask my dad if that is true Sat, it's his 85 birthday.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
It is said,," children bring the most heart wrenching pain and the most happiness." I'll ask my dad if that is true Sat, it's his 85 birthday.
Funny - - -

I had a brand new Harley....my Dad tipped it over in the garage. No real damage, but I was pissed.

Next year, I had a brand new Chevy pickup. Had a couple 2x10's in the box.
Dad grabbed one and scraped it across the top rail of the box. I was pissed. Scrape was there until I traded it.

Each time, all I could say was "you can't keep anything nice around here....."

As a kid, if I heard that once, I heard it a 1,000 times.....

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA

It is wonderful that you are able to experience, perhaps again, the joy of raising a child.

Would never work for the wife and I at our age, but we do have the grandkids that adds something similar to our lives.

Cannot think of anything positive enough to say regarding your love and kindness!

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Update - the adoption went though in April of 2022. All is well, and life is interesting:)

She's still the same gal. Today we took Sweet Pea for her semi-annual checkup with the pediatrician. We're taking care of a grandson for a few days, and took him along on the trip. Much to her dismay, she had two injections. The doc gave her two books, but she was still unhappy. On the way out, she asked if she could have a sticker (a sort of currency for someone who recently turned four).

When I asked the receptionist if they had stickers, Sweet Pea piped up and asked if they had any Thomas the Train stickers. The receptionist sorted through a plastic bin and found one. When she gave it to our daughter, she turned and gave it to our grandson, saying "I know how much you like Thomas". The receptionist smiled and handed her a few more stickers.

Reactions: 5 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Update - the adoption went though in April of 2022. All is well, and life is interesting:)

She's still the same gal. Today we took Sweet Pea for her semi-annual checkup with the pediatrician. We're taking care of a grandson for a few days, and took him along on the trip. Much to her dismay, she had two injections. The doc gave her two books, but she was still unhappy. On the way out, she asked if she could have a sticker (a sort of currency for someone who recently turned four).

When I asked the receptionist if they had stickers, Sweet Pea piped up and asked if they had any Thomas the Train stickers. The receptionist sorted through a plastic bin and found one. When she gave it to our daughter, she turned and gave it to our grandson, saying "I know how much you like Thomas". The receptionist smiled and handed her a few more stickers.
She is very obviously filled with your love.........an absolutely delightful little person.!