Compact tractor purchase

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
1 acre of stumps is a task for almost any tractor! Especially when they are large and close together with roots intertwined or you cant dig all the way around them because something is in the way. Small stumps no problem. Large stumps upwards of 24-30 inches dont think because you have a back hoe you will just be able to grab the top of the stump pull and rip it right out! Only a large excavator will do that. Just something to keep in mind.
I can say a big amen to that. I thought my BX25 was going to pull stumps out. 8 hours working on a 10" cedar taught me otherwise. But it did finally get done. Would have been much faster to grind it.

But I had to rent a real backhoe (JD310) one time when I ran into a 10" sycamore root right in the path of the trench I was digging. I had no option to go around, and I knew I was likely to hit more of the same, plus the roots a good sized oak and 3 cedars just ahead of me. My BX could barely wiggle the big sycamore root. The JD popped it out like a twig, and a few more big ones as I went along.

Since I had the thing for the weekend, I did a few other jobs with it, including a 36" sycamore stump. I had turned the top of it into punk with the syrup and yeast method, but the main body of the stump was still there at ground level, and the roots. The JD had it all out of there in about 20 minutes, total.

The moral of the story is, if you are counting on a 26 HP tractor's backhoe to take out a lot of good sized stumps, re-think it.

Like freeheler said, if you have the time, you can do a lot of work that a bigger machine would do quickly. But there does come a point where they are just too big and it's not going to happen. You have to be realistic about what your tractor can do.

Reactions: 1 user

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
It's an opinion. No, I haven't driven any L series machine. But I typically don't buy the lowest HP model of anything, and a tractor would be no different. I could have bought a B2301 and I didn't.

Based on information I've seen from people who have the L2501 and people who have higher HP L series, I see a few people saying "it bogs down pulling the mower up hills" or "it bogs down pulling my land plane in M (sure, you could run in L instead, but maybe you don't want to). The main reason I see people getting the L2501 is that they don't like emissions controls and the potential for problems. I don't see many people saying "I wouldn't want the 33HP". The same as everyone says you should buy a tractor that's big enough, you should also buy a tractor with enough HP. Yes, torque matters in some applications. In other applications HP matters. Personally, I think the same HP as a B2601 in a substantially larger tractor would be limiting.

Does it matter whether I think different to you? No. It's OK that we think different.
I simply wanted to point out that your opinion, is neither based on facts, or experience.

I too, typically don’t buy the lowest HP model of anything and I’m rarely budget restricted. The L2501 was an exception, an exception with lots of potential.

Mike

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I simply wanted to point out that your opinion, is neither based on facts, or experience.

I too, typically don’t buy the lowest HP model of anything and I’m rarely budget restricted. The L2501 was an exception, an exception with lots of potential.

Mike
Ya gotta admit, yours ain't no stock 2501 ;)

Reactions: 1 users

enriquesonora

Equipment
Kubota LX2610, 66" bucket, BB1266...
Jul 11, 2022
Vail
I am looking to purchase a compact tractor for my 3 acre property. About 1/2 acre accounts for the house and the yard with the rest consisting of woods. An acre of the woods currently consists primarily dying trees that will be felled and the stumps will be excavated.

Primary duties for the tractor:

- Clear brush, downed trees, distribute fill, and level the one acre being cleared
- Maintain 600 ft gravel driveway
- Process and transport firewood
- Build and maintain one acre garden
- Maintain woods
- General property maintenance (move gravel, dirt, mulch, compost, downed trees)
- Chipper
- No mowing/No snow removal

I am currently looking at the following:

- B2601 and LX2610
- Loader w/QA
- 3rd Function
- Grapple
- Forks
- Box Blade
- Tooth bar

Possible future implements:

- Chipper
- Flail

I'm sure that a B2601 would accomplish all of the above tasks but I am trying to identify if it is worth the slight price increase to move up to an LX2610 to pick up a little additional weight, lift capacity, and ground clearance. An LX only has a slightly larger foot print so size in the woods shouldn't be a concern.

Is an LX too big of a tractor for 3 acres?
I am a new tractor owner (LX2610). I have found this to be a great value for a lot of different tasks. There are a couple of caveats but only if you have geological conditions like mine. I live in Southern Arizona the earth here is filled with gravel, small boulders and when the ground is dry, like concrete. Watching all the videos of mid-westerners cutting there "soft" earth and complaining is rather entertaining.
What have learned is that my tractor has plenty of power, but weight is an issue. The LX is super-maneuverable around trees and bushes and I really like the high ground clearance while driving over this terrain.
My point being, if your geological setup is tough earth, rocks you may need heavier HD attachments or a heavier tractor. Frankly I couldn't budget the extra expense for L3650 would have been better, or even a L4701, but that is only because of the geology.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
Ya gotta admit, yours ain't no stock 2501 ;)
Amen to that!
And, that's where I found the potential in the L2501!

I'm a fair guy.
I think I thoroughly detailed the pro and cons of the Kubota L2501 (and the Standard L series) in my review. I included the opinions of owners, previous owners, haters and those in between. ;)

And, I'm still thinking the B or LX is the best option for the OP.

Mike

Norman

Equipment
LX2610HSD;LA535;LP 60" grapple; WC68 chipper; GB60 SW cutter
Sep 30, 2021
Georgia, USA
3 pages later....and 46 posts...

I use a LX2610 for my 3+ acres of woods and love it. Right size and highly maneuverable. I have a grapple and a self feeding wood chipper (up to 6"), as well as a bucket and box blade. This little tractor hasn't missed a beat logging some larger hardwoods out and chipping the crowns for trail mulch. I've lifted some amazingly large logs (I do have a heavy weight box on the 3-point to counter).

jparker

Sep 1, 2022
PNW
3 pages later....and 46 posts...

I use a LX2610 for my 3+ acres of woods and love it. Right size and highly maneuverable. I have a grapple and a self feeding wood chipper (up to 6"), as well as a bucket and box blade. This little tractor hasn't missed a beat logging some larger hardwoods out and chipping the crowns for trail mulch. I've lifted some amazingly large logs (I do have a heavy weight box on the 3-point to counter).
What chipper do you have?

jparker

Sep 1, 2022
PNW
Does anyone know what the weight difference is between the standard B2601 and LX2610 R14s filled with Rimguard?

12-16.5 vs 14-17.5

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
Does anyone know what the weight difference is between the standard B2601 and LX2610 R14s filled with Rimguard?

12-16.5 vs 14-17.5
Don't know the weight of the 2601 but my ,2610 with a 6' big box store tater back blade and RimGuard in the 15-19.5 R4's weighted 3,555 pounds

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I say buy one of each

Wait till you hear the price to fill your tires! They think that Rim Guard is liquid gold.
Windshield washer fluid is a much cheaper alternative, though not quite as heavy as Rim Guard.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
I say buy one of each

Wait till you hear the price to fill your tires! They think that Rim Guard is liquid gold.
On my LX with 15-19.5 R4 tires it cost $205.00 to get them filled at the dealer when they were prepping it.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
My dealer included the Rimguard. They said they found customers needed ballast for safety, and they throw it in.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
My dealer included the Rimguard. They said they found customers needed ballast for safety, and they throw it in.
Yep. While it’s been years, my dealer included Rimguard with all tractors with loaders.

My have changed since.

Quick

Equipment
B2601, LA435, BH70, LP SGC0554 Grapple, LP RB1672 Rear Blade, King Kutter 60" BB
Sep 23, 2021
St. Clair, MO.
Cost me a hundred bucks for Rimguard a year ago at time of purchase.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I posted this about a week ago. Your mileage might differ at your tractor dealer.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I'm a fan of ballast boxes rather than filled tires. It shifts load off the front axle, which filled tires doesn't. It's also removable, and since I mow with my tractor, that's important to me.