Compact tractor purchase

Farmerwantob

Equipment
B2620, ZD21
Sep 2, 2022
SE Wisconsin
I don't know if you have pulled the trigger yet. I asked the group about a LX3310 vs L3302 a month ago. Listen to what everyone has to say and factor it in. The general advise is buy the biggest tractor that is in your budget. As to size I have to say that the L3302 looks bigger in my barn by far than my B2620 and almost didn't fit heightwise in the door. However using the grapple has been a pleasure especially speedwise over using a bucket with forks ( worked well for 8+ years). This weekend I put my LP landscape bucket on the L and OMG the difference compared to pulling it with my B2620 and the work it got done. It was the weight not just the hp that made the difference.
The dealer I bought from urged the L over the LX saying that a move from a B to a LX wasn't worth it. HE also mentioned the issue with the 25 vs 33 hp having problems moving itself up hills.
Any tractor is better than manual labor and you will find uses for your tractor that you haven't even thought of yet.
I agree drive whatever models you are considering and make sure it is comfortable for you to handle.
Also you haven't mentioned the finance department but I found that taking my spouse along ( and letting her drive the tractors) made it much easier sell both times.

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The BX2601, LX2610, and L2501 are great options.
They are all excellent small tractor choices, and will "shrink" dramatically as you find new uses.
I consider my 7760 lb. L48 TLB with 48HP to be "small", in the grand scheme of tractors.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Yep. While it’s been years, my dealer included Rimguard with all tractors with loaders.

My have changed since.
My dealer installs bio-ballast in the rear tires of tractors with loaders.

someguy9000

Oct 7, 2022
California
1 acre of stumps is a task for almost any tractor! Especially when they are large and close together with roots intertwined or you cant dig all the way around them because something is in the way. Small stumps no problem. Large stumps upwards of 24-30 inches dont think because you have a back hoe you will just be able to grab the top of the stump pull and rip it right out! Only a large excavator will do that. Just something to keep in mind.
absolutely true. I will spend about 2/3 hours getting oak stumps out with my l3901/BH77, say 18 inch diameter. Rented a 7ton mini ex for a massive stump I couldn't get, out, and popped 14 others like nothing in the day I had it.

Reactions: 1 user

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
I'll come into this discussion by opening with a statement of strong bias. I have three B-series tractors, a 2410 and a pair of 7510's. I'm a bit of a fan of the B-series tractors.

The B-series brings a good blend of capability and economics. Mine, with 21 engine HP, don't struggle to do any of the jobs I ask of them. I pull a 4' rotary cutter (bush hog), either a 4' or 5' box blade (one on each B7510), and have front-mount snow blowers for all three tractors. There are times when I wish I had more power, especially when trying to move a lot of deep, wet snow, but I've never wished to have a bigger tractor.

The one feature I absolutely would NOT be without is the mid PTO. Being able to mount a mowing deck or a front-mount blower makes the mid-PTO a game changer for me.

When it comes to tires, because I cut grass and blow snow, turf tires are the tire of choice as they give best traction in snow and they don't tear up the grass. My next door neighbor just bought an LX with the new hybrid turf tires - they're pretty good for traction, definitely better than a straight turf tire, but they definitely are a lot harder on the grass.

One thing I've noticed with my neighbor's tractor is that is is LOUD in comparison to my B-series tractors. Noticeably loud. As in my wife notices, and she has significant hearing loss.

The other point worthy of consideration is that a smaller tractor is easier to mount and dismount. Sure, that's not a big deal for youngsters, but as we age, ease of access becomes more and more important.

I wish you luck with whichever machine you bring home. I can guarantee you that you cannot go wrong with any of the models you've been looking at - they will all put a great big grin on your face.

Reactions: 1 users