Cold weather tip!

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
Hey, Wolfman,

Like your approach and like your picture. Not sure how often you use your tractor in the winter, but I find that your approach (and mine) is an invitation for mice and chipmunks to move in. I've learned to scatter a half a box of mothballs underneath the tarp. In the winter, I only use my tractor when there is a snowstorm. Just a few weeks can cause a problem.

P
Good point !!! I have the same issue with nesting with the tractor being stored under the deck. They seem to like the tool storage compartment on the B7100.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hey, Wolfman,

Like your approach and like your picture. Not sure how often you use your tractor in the winter, but I find that your approach (and mine) is an invitation for mice and chipmunks to move in. I've learned to scatter a half a box of mothballs underneath the tarp. In the winter, I only use my tractor when there is a snowstorm. Just a few weeks can cause a problem.
I use my tractor a lot, in fact an hour after the photo it was out working snow duty! I make a point of pulling the tarp off and giving it some air when the weather is nice, I don't want condensation problems.
But I totally agree with the moth balls, they work like a charm keeping the bad critters at bay!;)

Good point !!! I have the same issue with nesting with the tractor being stored under the deck. They seem to like the tool storage compartment on the B7100.
Yep try the moth balls, it's always worked for me!:)
And skunks don't seam to like the smell either?:confused:? Go figure :p

84cj

Equipment
Bx1800, 60 inch mower, front snowblower and bucket.
Aug 8, 2013
Gorham, Maine
I've had mice use moth balls and drier sheets to make their nests. :/

tonyvkubota

Equipment
2013/B3200HST/L504 loader/60" rotary finish mower/ 60"brush hog
Dec 14, 2013
ny
You stole some of my thunder:mad: I do this year round.

One thing I do in the cold weather when starting is to start the tractor in the garage, after it has idled for a min or two, I take it out side at about 1200rpms, put it in 8 gear, forward and reverse lever in either forward or reverse just not neutral, and put the high/low range lever in neutral. This allows the transmission gears to be spinning, (helping to warm up the hydro fluid), while the engine is warming up. Bucket on the ground and 3pt implement also.

If I leave the tractor ( hst ) b3200 idling with fel down and parking brake set , but left in med. or low range does that mean my tranny has no gears spinning to help in warm up the way you explain ?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If it's running the hyd fluid is being pumped thru the system which is helping to warm it up. During cold weather though just sitting at idle it would take forever to warm the fluid.

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
If I leave the tractor ( hst ) b3200 idling with fel down and parking brake set , but left in med. or low range does that mean my tranny has no gears spinning to help in warm up the way you explain ?
There is nothing spinning behind the hydrostat unless you put shifter in neutral and then step on the hydro peddle and set the cruise. You need to disable the seat switch to do that though.

Last edited:

famvburg

Apr 18, 2012
vicksburg, ms.
I don't like leaving equipment out in the elements either. When I bought my current house a couple of years ago, I also bought the Kubota. The PO kept a plastic tarp over part of it outside. The first thing I did was bought an open garage to park the tractor, riding mower and a utility trailer under. It may not be enclosed but at least it keeps the stuff out of the elements.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
Does anyone know/believe whether moth balls are corrosive? I have an incredible amount of humidity to contend with, so they'll likely melt I'd guess. How do they do in a damp environment? I hardly drive my pickup and have had rodents build nests under the hood and in the heater box a couple times now and it's nasty.

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
I check the basics for cold weather and almost always use a cetane booster. Weather the little "L" is inside or started cold outside it starts with a very few seconds of glow plug if needed and that is all it takes. This winter's colderst temps only took 10-15 sec of glow plug and we were running. Nice and tight cylinders. :D

mrshoes

Equipment
b2100
Sep 28, 2011
carver,mn,usa
what exactly is a cetane booster?
I have a mid 90's B2100 and anything below 28 degrees means no go.
I have winter blend diesel in her, I keep the inline heater plugged in, space heater, and sometimes a magnetic block heater.
I park it in a non heated garage, of course it so cold up here nothing wants to run!

Dan_R_42

Equipment
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
what exactly is a cetane booster?
I have a mid 90's B2100 and anything below 28 degrees means no go.
I have winter blend diesel in her, I keep the inline heater plugged in, space heater, and sometimes a magnetic block heater.
I park it in a non heated garage, of course it so cold up here nothing wants to run!
This is what you want to track down. Any Tractor Supply in your area should have. I assume NAPA would also have it. Hell I've even seen it in WalMart.

You need to add it to your fuel for cold weather protection of you fuel to keep it from turning to gel. I would just add it to your fuel year round.

http://puredieselpower.com/products...-bottle.html?gclid=CPTV_qvJ6LwCFWUOOgodSV4ABA

Last edited:

Dan_R_42

Equipment
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
I keep the inline heater plugged in, space heater, and sometimes a magnetic block heater.
Just curious... What do you attach your magnetic block heater to?

PS: Welcome to OTT...

I just happened to notice your OTT Handle. Please don't take offense to this but I read to two different ways. Not even going to say where my mind went first.

mrs hoes
mr shoes
:D

Last edited: