Cold Weather Starting

jstarkey

Equipment
B2320
Dec 9, 2012
Templeton, Massachusetts
My new ( to me ) B2320 had quite a bit of trouble getting started this morning. It was -1 and I live on top of a windy hill. When I bought the tractor I mentioned to the dealer that I figured I'd need a block heater but he assured me it would start in the coldest weather.

Is it a big deal to install a block heater? Seems to me it would definitely save wear and tear on the starter and battery. Any thoughts?

Thanks, James

WingNut

Equipment
L2850 Kubota c/w Loader
Feb 29, 2012
Northern Ontario
More specifically, it'll save alot of wear and tear on your engine, by allowing the oil to circulate better at first start up.
Sorry not much help on where it's installed on your tractor model, but can't see it being much work, or much money.

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA
When I think of block heater...I think of frost plug heater. They are generally installed in the center cylinder frost plug hole requiring draining the antifreeze and removal of the frost plug. Kubotas have different types of frost plugs dependent on age and model number. Care must be taken as the frost plug is very near the cylinder sleeve which you do not want damaged. I would have the dealer install it unless you are very mechanically inclined.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I am on a ridge top as well and I just turn the glow plugs on for 15 to 30 seconds hit the switch and then bump up the throatal just a bit till is smooths out,,, let her run for 5 or 10 min to warm everything up and then have at it

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Just throwing this out there, have you ever tried synthetic oil. I started my L3000 a couple of winters ago at -11 without even using the glow plugs. No block heater and it was sitting in a open shed. I'm not knocking block heaters but oil would be easier to install and would be better on your engine year round. Start easier in the winter, run cooler in the summer and increase your fuel economy.

Just because it's the most common used oil I'm guessing your tractor has 15w40 Rotella (or equivalent) which at -1 would be like pumping grease thru the engine instead of oil.

What I use has a pour point rated down to -56. Unknown to most it is the official oil of Carlile Transportation System seen on "Ice Road Truckers". Not only used by Carlile but they also ship it from their terminal all over Alaska. Ever wonder what brand oil allows engines to function in -50 (or colder) temps, now you know. Amsoil

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Just throwing this out there, have you ever tried synthetic oil. I started my L3000 a couple of winters ago at -11 without even using the glow plugs. No block heater and it was sitting in a open shed. I'm not knocking block heaters but oil would be easier to install and would be better on your engine year round. Start easier in the winter, run cooler in the summer and increase your fuel economy.

Just because it's the most common used oil I'm guessing your tractor has 15w40 Rotella (or equivalent) which at -1 would be like pumping grease thru the engine instead of oil.

What I use has a pour point rated down to -56. Unknown to most it is the official oil of Carlile Transportation System seen on "Ice Road Truckers". Not only used by Carlile but they also ship it from their terminal all over Alaska. Ever wonder what brand oil allows engines to function in -50 (or colder) temps, now you know. Amsoil

G-Man

Equipment
B7500, ZD221
Jul 27, 2012
Excelsior, AR
Instead of a block heater have you looked at a oil pan magnetic heater that just sticks to the bottom of the oil pan?

jstarkey

Equipment
B2320
Dec 9, 2012
Templeton, Massachusetts
Instead of a block heater have you looked at a oil pan magnetic heater that just sticks to the bottom of the oil pan?
I'm interested in a magnetic pan heater because installing the block heater sounds like more than I'd want to take on and getting the machine to the dealer is expensive. They just stick on to the oil pan by magnetic force? Any suggestions about which one to get?

Thanks, James

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I'm interested in a magnetic pan heater because installing the block heater sounds like more than I'd want to take on and getting the machine to the dealer is expensive. They just stick on to the oil pan by magnetic force? Any suggestions about which one to get?

Thanks, James
Magnetic pan heaters are not so good for most Kubota's because of the drive shaft to the front axle. The Kubota block heater is quite easy to install but if you don't get much below freezing a good battery and synthetic oil should work for you

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I run Rotella 15W-40 in all my diesels, and it isn't like "pumping grease", Bulldog. While I concur that synthetic does behave better in extreme temps, lots of engines have been started in very cold temps before the advent of synthetic. Synthetic being better doesn't mean that dino oil doesn't work- my stuff keeps going year after year, and it has all been started in extreme cold temps.
While a block or pan heater might help, I believe that you haven't learned your tractor yet. The only engine that I use a heater on is my truck; everything else starts using the glow plugs. If you know how long to use the glow plugs, and the right way to start your tractor, I think it will start better for you.
For instance, on my B7100, I hit the glow plugs for about 10 or 15 seconds, pull the decompression valve, and turn it over for about 10 or 15 seconds. That gets some oil moving. I then hit the glow plugs again for 10 or 15 seconds, then start it. It fires up every time. The skidsteer has a Kubota engine, but it starts a little different. Below 30, it calls for warming the plugs for at least 60 seconds. I do that, and it fires up. My dads NH3930 has a little different sequence; point being, we know how each engine needs to be started, and have no problems, and use no heaters. For what it's worth, we do have a magnetic heater, but it doesn't put out enough wattage to do much good. It's hanging in the barn, covered in dust. If you aren't heating the antifreeze, I don't think you are doing much.

vtmbz

Equipment
b7100, b5100
Oct 27, 2012
lowell vt
I let my b7100 glow while I count six clicks of the hour meter: which is about 60-70 seconds. At zero this gets two of three cylinders firing. I keep cranking until the third cylinder is trying and then I put the fog to it and quit cranking. This is a long long time, but I dont think the starter is working too hard by then.
The scary part is keeping it going without racing the engine, which I imagine is starved for oil at these temps.

My old Mercedes only needs 30 seconds, and it starts very easily. I think the glow plugs on Kubotas are underamped. The Mercedes has an 80 amp fuse on the glow plug circuit. I wonder if the Kubota glow plug circuit gets that kind of amperage.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Hodge, I hated to even bring oil up just because of the outcome. People who don't use synthetic products never admit anything can be better than what they use. I never had any intention of hurting your feelings or trying to say that the old school dino oil won't work. I guess the grease pumping comment was out of line and in my case completely false. I use synthetic grease so it pumps as good in winter as it does summer. Maybe I should have said really thick slow cold syrup instead of grease. I never meant to ruffle any dinosaur feathers so please let me ask for forgiveness.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Hodge, I hated to even bring oil up just because of the outcome. People who don't use synthetic products never admit anything can be better than what they use. I never had any intention of hurting your feelings or trying to say that the old school dino oil won't work. I guess the grease pumping comment was out of line and in my case completely false. I use synthetic grease so it pumps as good in winter as it does summer. Maybe I should have said really thick slow cold syrup instead of grease. I never meant to ruffle any dinosaur feathers so please let me ask for forgiveness.
My feelings aren't hurt! I was just elbowing you! I know how you feel about synthetic, and I know that it is superior stuff.
That is a problem with a forum- you can't always read the other person. I know where you are coming from, and I was not the least bit offended. I value your comments and opinions, and I know that you are wise and experienced. Again, I was just jabbing.

Lewis

Equipment
b6000
Mar 2, 2009
Massachusetts
For my B6000 I use a block heater installed inline on the lower radiator hose. Available at local auto parts store. The engine turns over easily at below zero temps. I also use plenty of glow plug.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
For my B6000 I use a block heater installed inline on the lower radiator hose. Available at local auto parts store. The engine turns over easily at below zero temps. I also use plenty of glow plug.
Tractor Supply carries the inline heaters, too.

Sparky2k

Equipment
L2800hst
Jan 9, 2012
Belwood, Ontario
When I bought my L2800 I inquired as to whether or not I needed a block heater, my dealers response was "if it fails to start at -25C I'll come out and install a block heater for free".
Coldest I've experienced since purchasing the rig was -22C, after 30 sec pre-heat she fired right up.
With regard to magnetic oil pan heaters, some oil pans are aluminum, mine is...
Sparx

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
My feelings aren't hurt! I was just jabbing.
Hodge, I knew from past experience you were one I could poke back without starting oil war III. I talked to my Grandma in Va. the other night, she said they had some snow and it was pretty cold. I guess you are having first hand knowledge of cold starting your orange beast. Hope all is well up your way...:D

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
I use a magnetic pan heater on my 7300. It fits nice on the front of the pan sump. I plug it in about two hours ahead of when I'll be needing to start it. Seems to work well.

Iowan

Equipment
Kubota's
Apr 29, 2012
North central Iowa
I use the Kubota block heater, synthetic motor oil and hydro oil on my BX. I can plug it in for three hours @ -5 and the six inches of snow that was on the hood is gone, and the radiator cap hot enough that you cant touch it with your bare hands. It starts like it's summer time and the hydraulics work great....:D