Cold start after a month of sitting

pjoh784350

Equipment
BX23, quick attach bucket, 3 point, pallet forks
May 3, 2019
Danville
I know that starting a diesel is a violent act. Mine has been sitting for over a month without being started. I'm in the northeast and it's been cold but not super cold like some people have been experiencing. Is there anything a person can do to make it easier on the engine or am I just being over protective?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
IF you have a decompression lever use IT....

IF so or not - glow the plugs for 15- 30 seconds and with a good battery, should fire right up!

I have heard of people having an old tractor sitting for 7-10 years...... throw in a good battery and it starts and run fine.

Reactions: 1 user

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
WHY are you starting it? Do you intend to use it?

If you need to use the machine, charge the battery overnight, glow at least twice and start it.
Allow it to run at low RPMs until the needle starts to show some temp.
THEN, you need to warm up the hydro-fluid too. Gently exercise anything hydraulic (including HST) for a couple minutes before putting under load.

Otherwise, simply charge the battery and leave it be until you need to use the machine.

Reactions: 1 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
All of the above, and if you didn't put winter fuel or additives in the fuel wait until it does warm up, thenl put some additive in to get through the remainder of winter. Engine has to turn over at about 180 RPM to get a diesel to start, better have a well functioning battery.

If it does not start don't use starting fluid.

Reactions: 2 users

Tioga Tim

Equipment
B2620
Nov 11, 2020
Upstate New York
I know that starting a diesel is a violent act. Mine has been sitting for over a month without being started. I'm in the northeast and it's been cold but not super cold like some people have been experiencing. Is there anything a person can do to make it easier on the engine or am I just being over protective?
I started my B2620 today for the first time since at least Jan 10, when I had hip surgery. After about 20 seconds on the glow plugs it started right up. I'm in upstate NY, so we have had some real cold nights, last couple days were in the 35-40 range.

Tim

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
My BX2200 had been sitting for probably a month or so in the cold garage. Needed to clear snow. Glowed for 10 seconds and it fired up. Was a little grouchy for about 5 seconds, blowing some black smoke and running rough. Then it cleared up and all was good. I was a little easy on it until it warmed up some. I have gone through all the fluids and charged the battery good before I parked it in the fall. I also had put some winter Power Service in all my diesel.

freewheel3

Equipment
MX5000DT LA852, BX1800D, B6000DT, B6200HSTD, B7100HSTD, L185, T1700HX, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
Cant' say I've ever thought of doing so, but why not?
Possible catastrophic engine failure. Kubota engines are not designed for the use of starting fluid.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Road service mechanics for big rigs use wd40 like starting fluid - mostly to diagnose failing sensors that are shutting off fuel supply.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Kubota engines are high compression engines (yes way higher than other diesels), They can also be pre-chamber ignition setups (fuel does not get injected into the same space as the piston) , and their small size makes it easier to break parts.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
If you have no intentions of using it, I would not start it just to start it. I don't even start my 1976 Deere tractor until summer when I need it to run a rotary cutter. I use it only about 3 or 4 months out of the year. I like to run my equipment for a while to get it up to operating temperature an run it as long as possible before shutting it down. My old smokey Deer cranks like it was yesterday, even after months of sitting there.

I cranked my 2501 for the first time in two months to pick up some broken limbs from the ice storm. It fired right up, which it had better.:)

Tractor Doctor

Equipment
Agriculture equipment
Apr 4, 2021
Maine
My BX2200 had been sitting for probably a month or so in the cold garage. Needed to clear snow. Glowed for 10 seconds and it fired up. Was a little grouchy for about 5 seconds, blowing some black smoke and running rough. Then it cleared up and all was good. I was a little easy on it until it warmed up some. I have gone through all the fluids and charged the battery good before I parked it in the fall. I also had put some winter Power Service in all my diesel.
Change air filter, sucks in exhaust smoke, probably black looking.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Mice like to build nest in air filter housing also.
While I have never had this problem, I have heard of it.

I recently realized the reason it can happen is because they can enter the air intake tube going to the air filter. I considered covering my intake with a coarse mesh, like 1/4 inch square mesh. But never did as I leave the hoods open on my tractors during winter (under Roof) and mice seem to stay away....

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
Anytime you can get oil to circulate in any engine is is nothing but good. Famous P-51 Mustang fighter plane of WWII had a separate small motor that circulated the oil for 5 minutes before starting the engine. Sometimes I will start small engines that have not been started for a long time by hand or started rope or electric starter. It is just like a warm up before you exercise. Same principle.