Change coolant on tiniest of tractors...

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
Shoulda leestened to Q'doba and changed it after 2 years instead of six. The hourly interval is 1000 and I'm at 179.

Attend your eyes:
20230301_154050.jpg

20230301_154017.jpg

20230301_153950.jpg

Unsightly corrosion!!

Last edited:

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Shoulda leestened to Q'doba and changed it after 2 years instead of six.
Agreed!

At this point, you may need to thoroughly flush the system with DISTILLED water several times and assess if acid-flush is necessary. (if acid-flush is done.... another flush with DISTILLED water is needed)

I use leaf-blower after draining to purge residual liquid from system before re-filling. I find that 3 fill/drain cycles with DISTILLED water is sufficient.

BEWARE: Using tap/well water to mix with antifreeze results in depletion of protective properties...leading to corrosion.

NOTE: Use of PREmixed (50/50) antifreeze guarantees best metal protection.... just make certain all residual fluids are purged from system first.

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I would use white vinegar as the cleaning agent - I would do it twice( get the engine good and hot both times) - THEN rinse with the distilled water and start back fresh.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
Anyone wanna guess what I actually did in response to the evidence?

Begin wagering now, plz.

• Haha

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'd have stuck the plug back where it came from and dumped some new coolant in it and carried on!

Reactions: 6 users

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Sold it and bought green?

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
Clean plug, refill, never look back.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Anyone wanna guess what I actually did in response to the evidence?
you did exactly what you wanted to do.

I work on equipment pretty often and have learned that I have NOT yet "seen it all". Every time another peice of equipment comes off the trailer... it is a brand-new experience to get it running again.

Some folks think they are electrical geniuses... others hone cylinders with sandpaper by hand. Some folks fix broken fuel-hoses with ballpoint-pen housings. Some seem to not know there is supposed to be oil in the gearcases. Lawnmower-blades are often installed backwards....etc.

Im not sayin you did something like this.... but 'they' are out there.:oops:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Sort of back on subject. How do you dispose of old coolant? Some places take used oil, but used coolant?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Sort of back on subject. How do you dispose of old coolant? Some places take used oil, but used coolant?
I take mine to the county recycling center. Just drive up and dump it into their collection tanks. No muss no fuss. They also recycle oil and batteries.

Dan

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
That lately is a HUGE issue. One reason I don't bother doing my own flushes on the cars. They go to the Toyota dealer. Just not worth the hassle for me anymore. And quite honestly I can't drive the tractor to a dealer so sadly it simply gets dumped and flushed on the driveway. Yeah it's wrong, but, is what it is. No one will take old coolant, we have no recycling center, even oil is getting hard to dispose of. Only Walmart (which gives me the willies just to walk into) takes the oil. So there too. Only thing that gets oil changes at home is the tractor and small engine equipment. Cars go to Toyota dealer.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Here in Vermont, there is a "Environmental Depot". They will accept ALL manor of household hazardous waste as well as electronics .

I guess the idea is to make it easy for folks to get rid of hazardous materials instead of what may happen otherwise. The "Green Mountain State" tries hard to be the greenest state in the nation.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Here in Vermont, there is a "Environmental Depot". They will accept ALL manor of household hazardous waste as well as electronics .

I guess the idea is to make it easy for folks to get rid of hazardous materials instead of what may happen otherwise. The "Green Mountain State" tries hard to be the greenest state in the nation.
if they dont make it easy people wont do it. there was talk in my township of a bag limit for garbage on a tag system where you could buy additional tags... it got shut down because its so rural that if the farmers have to spend more money to toss garbage it will likely return a bunch of places back to the old burn it all system.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
When I was attempting to gather enough used (or new) anti freeze to fill my road roller, I exhausted all of the estate sales & garage sales in the area looking for partial gallons, etc..
Then I hit upon checking with all the local car repair shops in the area, and to my amazement, they had NO used antifreeze. Turns out they dump motor oil. tranny fluid, brake fluid, antifreeze, & gear oil all in the same tank. o_O :eek:
The recycler who picks it up periodically spins it in a centrifuge to separate the mix into it's various components.
Who would have guessed?

Reactions: 2 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
When I was attempting to gather enough used (or new) anti freeze to fill my road roller, I exhausted all of the estate sales & garage sales in the area looking for partial gallons, etc..
Then I hit upon checking with all the local car repair shops in the area, and to my amazement, they had NO used antifreeze. Turns out they dump motor oil. tranny fluid, brake fluid, antifreeze, & gear oil all in the same tank. o_O :eek:
The recycler who picks it up periodically spins it in a centrifuge to separate the mix into it's various components.
Who would have guessed?
been like that everywhere I have worked with the exception of 2 places that used waste oil for heat, but even then everything except the “clean” oil was all dumped in the same waste tanks