chains

fast*st

Equipment
M7040, L2900, F550 ford, Yanmar vio70 excavator, Case 580, JD 350 dozer, JD 644E
Jun 26, 2012
Northern Mass
Require is a tricky term, so the 4240 is a decent sized tractor, sounds like you're talking a rear mount blower? Are you on the flat or do you have some hills? On the flat you'd likely be fine without, if you have some hills, it doesn't take but a little snow on top of ice and even with 4x4 you're stuck. Or can slide off the side. If you get a lot of snow and you have some grades or side slopes, chains would be a must. If your snow comes six inches at a time followed by a sunny day chains shouldn't be needed but keep a pail of sand handy.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well up there in the GWN in the maritimes you never really know what your going to get snow wise. Chains will help, if you get ice over snow or snow melting to ice then snow again,, your tractor weighs about 4000 pounds not a light weight and the blower most likely another 400, and I am making the assumption your tires are filled so you might be close to 5000 pounds. Like "fast" said hills slopes and ice make the difference. Chains aint cheap, and you dont say what you will be clearing ,flat, hills, paved lots, gravel road ways. These all figure into your question. Some guys like chains some dont. I used chains on the old ford, and the cub, but have not needed them on my little bouta, it dont mean I wont some day. The best I can say it to give it a try, be careful and think before you bust your arse or your arm,,,, don't ask,,lol,,, just take it slow and easy you will figure out if you need them.
Heres a link if you do deside you want/need chains the top 3 are good for your kinds of tires

http://www.tirechain.com/TractorChainmenu.htm

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I put chains on my L3800 in winter. After you get used to it you'll wonder how you ever did without. Really not a big job to put them on, even easier to take them off. Then again I have 1.5km to clear. As they say I have to come out to hunt.:D

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I checked link in the nforum posting and it works for me using Firefox.
Goggle Maxigrip tire studs and you should get lots of info including a utube video
Dave p

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
My dad has a Ford 3930 4WD with a loader and a 6' Woods snowblower. We live in the Blue Ridge Mountains, and have as much hill as we do flat ground. While we don't get the snow that you do on a regular basis, we have had our share of 2'-3' snows, and his tractor has never gotten stuck. While chains won't hurt anything, and sure do help, he has never had the need to invest in them. If it were me, with a 4WD tractor and that kind of weight, I'd try it without them, first. Chains aren't cheap.