Cement experts Help

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
I am building a tractor shed and prepping the area for a engineered slab. The land was course forest land. I have taken the trees and roots out and would like to get the area ready so the cement/slab contractor can set the footing and pour with little or no additional excavation. The ground is round rock for baseball to beach ball size with forest loam inbetween the rocks it is also on a slope. I understand I have to get as much of the organic material out as possible but doing so is also upsetting the rock that is there. Can I just clear the very slim layer of top soil and put class A gravel on top. should I use 4- 8 inch stone to build up the low end and then add class a tamping every couple of inches should I just leave it and put class A over the top if the rock and gravel and leave it undisturbed?

Here are a few pictures of the ground the rock and location for the tractor shed. I would like to do as much of the work as possible.

thank you

Attachments

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
This guy shows how contractors take advantage of people who don't know the details,and how to save money on the project. Be sure to watch to the end.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
This guy shows how contractors take advantage of people who don't know the details,and how to save money on the project. Be sure to watch to the end.

Saw this a while back and ive been driving duplex nails home ever since.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
It sounded like a ball peen hammer would do the job better. and use the sledgehammer to keep the stake in place while you get the second head on the nail flush.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Lol couldn't watch it all... was that for real?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I am building a tractor shed and prepping the area for a engineered slab. The land was course forest land. I have taken the trees and roots out and would like to get the area ready so the cement/slab contractor can set the footing and pour with little or no additional excavation. The ground is round rock for baseball to beach ball size with forest loam inbetween the rocks it is also on a slope. I understand I have to get as much of the organic material out as possible but doing so is also upsetting the rock that is there. Can I just clear the very slim layer of top soil and put class A gravel on top. should I use 4- 8 inch stone to build up the low end and then add class a tamping every couple of inches should I just leave it and put class A over the top if the rock and gravel and leave it undisturbed?

Here are a few pictures of the ground the rock and location for the tractor shed. I would like to do as much of the work as possible.

thank you
Yes just clear off the topsoil and organics, Gravel + minus and pack good!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
thank you should I remove the loose bigger rocks that come loose from removing the roots and organics. thanks
No not require, that is unless it's going to interfere with the grade of the prepped pad.
You don't want the rocks sticking up out of the compacted material.

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
No not require, that is unless it's going to interfere with the grade of the prepped pad.
thank you where the loose rock will add to the sloop I will remove and then I am going to add some larger sharp edge rock to get the area level then class a for a few inches and compact thank you for the help . the backhoe was a tremendous help on this project probably saved me a few hundred dollars

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Did you follow the instructions, "be sure to watch the end"? My guess is NO you didn't. :D
Ok I had to go back and finish it.. you Got me! 🤓lol

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
He is in Nova Scotia and the winters are extremely cold. He needs to excavate down at least 3 feet and remove all the rocks, otherwise, the frost will heave those rocks upward and it will crack his cement slab. Before I paved my driveway we excavated down 24" and removed every boulder and rock. Now, 30 years later, we have boulders coming up in the driveway that is causing major expense to dig them out, fill the holes with compacted gravel, and then pave the repair. This has been going on for over 20 years. Right now, there are at least 3 that need to be removed, but with the high cost of asphalt, it just isn't in the cards. My wife keeps bringing the subject up, and I keep telling her that I will leave it for the next owner.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
He is in Nova Scotia and the winters are extremely cold. He needs to excavate down at least 3 feet and remove all the rocks, otherwise, the frost will heave those rocks upward and it will crack his cement slab. Before I paved my driveway we excavated down 24" and removed every boulder and rock. Now, 30 years later, we have boulders coming up in the driveway that is causing major expense to dig them out, fill the holes with compacted gravel, and then pave the repair. This has been going on for over 20 years. Right now, there are at least 3 that need to be removed, but with the high cost of asphalt, it just isn't in the cards. My wife keeps bringing the subject up, and I keep telling her that I will leave it for the next owner.
Sorry I was just assuming where the foundation goes it will be much deeper, but slab center it would be fine.