Can you straighten a bent FEL bucket?

Eldubya

Equipment
B7800FEL Bck hoe Box scraper Post auger Field rake
Apr 14, 2014
Quadra Island BC
I have a 2" mounted on the top of my bucket, used for moving smallish trailers and such around the yard. Was moving one that was obviously too heavy cause when I dropped the bucket (too quickly) it hit the ground and caved the top of the FEL in somewhat. Still completely functional, but wondering how one would go about repairing that?

bh115577

Equipment
2004 BX 2200, FEL, 60" MMM
Mar 5, 2015
Central NY
A good porta power should do it or maybe a bottle jack. I'd use some strong "C" clamps and steel to keep either from slipping while under pressure.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Lotsa different ways to fix that. Pull the ball and run a chain through the hole, put the tractor up against a sturdy tree trunk (say 18" or so) and loop the chain up through the saddle of the tree. Then push down on the FEL stick and the weight of the tractor should bend it back. Try not to hurt the tree... (if you don't have a tree handy, you can use a retaining wall or other vertical surface that you can get a good mount for the chain to work against)

The porta power or just a standard bottle jack could do it as well if you want to be a little safer and less inventive.

LRP

Sep 29, 2010
canada
I have a 2" mounted on the top of my bucket, used for moving smallish trailers and such around the yard. Was moving one that was obviously too heavy cause when I dropped the bucket (too quickly) it hit the ground and caved the top of the FEL in somewhat. Still completely functional, but wondering how one would go about repairing that?
if it bent that easy, a 20 lb sledge hammer would do the trick.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
The top edge of my bucket was bent down from the PO getting carried away with the load binders that held the forks on. I used a big bottle jack, blocking, and a maul & got it pretty straight. I then added a piece of 2" angle to stiffen it.

Attachments

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The answer to your question is: YES.

Now if you want to straighten your bucket, I's say follow the guidelines from posters, but be sure to do what Lil Foot did or you'll have it bent again.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
If you plan on using a jack to bottom of bucket be sure to support it with something to prevent bending bottom of bucket.
A little at a time, dont rush it. May have to move around a little to push it all back.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
If you plan on using a jack to bottom of bucket be sure to support it with something to prevent bending bottom of bucket.
Absolutely correct. I clamped a 1 1/4" x 4" steel bar to the bottom edge.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
The top edge of my bucket was bent down from the PO getting carried away with the load binders that held the forks on. I used a big bottle jack, blocking, and a maul & got it pretty straight. I then added a piece of 2" angle to stiffen it.
Next time before welding on the angle.. drill a hole and mount a trailer ball

hitechredneck

Equipment
L2501, Land Pride Rotary Cutter, Woods tiller, FEL, Dirt Dog box scraper
Sep 21, 2015
Belton, SC
That is a great idea!

But I'd probably attach it closer to the side of the bucket (seems like the bucket would be sturdier there, and less likely to bend).

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
That is a great idea!

But I'd probably attach it closer to the side of the bucket (seems like the bucket would be sturdier there, and less likely to bend).

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk
May not be an issue..... am just a bit of a newb myself in my thinking. Seems to me that would be a Catch 22. Less strain on bucket material but possibly harder on whole tractor in particular harder on the FEL with the weight not being centered. Guess it matters weight of trailer.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I'm not lifting anything heavy enough to worry about bending- light trailers, small engines, small compressor, that sort of thing. I tried it all the way to one side while moving a neighbors trailer, (it was easier access in a tight spot) and it really twisted the FEL. Now my old FEL has a lot of play & wear, so it just took all the play out in one direction; as soon as I had room, I put it back in the center & everything was fine.