can afford one implement to prepare my yard

Reddog

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Nov 12, 2012
Kentucky
well life changes again. I am moving up to MIchigan to take care of my father. Have an acre lot here so traded tractors again, this time I have a 2630 cab tractor.

I do not have much money and my lot looks like a war zone from where the excavator riped out a bunch of trees.

So if i can afford one implement that my tractor can pull what would be my best investment to get this land level out and ready to me lawn for the kids again?

Been looking at culipackers, and look at one that is not typical it looks like two large coild springs instead of drums. thought that might let dirt flow to help level things out, thoguht we might be pulling roots out of it. I expect a lot of hands on root picking anyway

I am a soldier, not a farmer, though I grew up on a farm.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
If you have a fel and bucket on it, you can do 90% with that. Requires some practice, but dump and backblade smooth. Pick rocks into bucket and store someplace else. I am not that good yet, but I have a friend that can smooth stuff out to about a half inch with a bucket. Then a landscape rake for the back if you want.

crmorse

Equipment
'20 RTV-XG850, '16 L47 TLB, '06 JCB 506CHL, '99 JD 455G, 1953 Ford 8N
Nov 28, 2016
Anniston, AL
I'll second the box blade. Especially if it has scarifiers/rippers. Just by changing the top link you can get 3 different types of work out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If I had to give up all my implements but one the box scrape would be my pick.

You can rip dirt, move dirt, level, smooth, pull forward, push backwards and on and on. Handiest one implement a man can have.
That said, don't buy a cheap one. Spend a few extra dollars now and it'll be the only one you'll ever need. Lots of brands out there, I recommend Bushhog.

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
If I were in your position I'd try to borrow, rent a 48" tiller and work it a few times. With the money you'd put into an implement hire a good operator with a skid steer (they can do more in an hour than you could all day). A rake harrow would be good to finish leveling it an knocking down the lumps, then seed it roll it and water it. Just my opinion Barry!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
A very cheap and very effective tool for leveling and clean up is a simple spike harrow, you can get them off of places like craigslist for less than $100.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Cultipackers are great for breaking up rough lumpy areas. Thats it. They do it very well but would be for finishing topsoil for seeding. As mentioned a box scraper, the tines will break it up,roll out stones and tear up roots. Wish i had mine to clean up the carnage after removing 20 trees last year.

Rosher18

Equipment
L185DT (1977)
Aug 2, 2016
Salem, Oregon
I would very highly recommend a good box blade with rippers. I am constantly impressed with how useful and compact they are as a leveling tool and counterweight for the front end loader.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Just remember a box blade along with every other tool, has a learning curve take your time and watch what you are doing, watch that the tool is doing. That is the most important part, watch and learn, and think it through first, then think it through again.
Go to Everything Attachments, they have a pretty good video guide for most everything you might want to use, and all the set ups for each piece.
And sometimes he even dose things you shouldnt do to, you can always learn from an AWWWWWWWWWWWW SHYT moment :D