Camp build

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
It's good to see that you were able to make that progress on the roof. I know that you are pushing & trying to get er done before deer season.

Yup, I too am dodging the rain and trying to squeeze jobs in between the rain showers.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Looking good.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
L4701 FEL, Cutter, Discs and Land Plane
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
It's good to see that you were able to make that progress on the roof. I know that you are pushing & trying to get er done before deer season.

Yup, I too am dodging the rain and trying to squeeze jobs in between the rain showers.
Just hoping to get it blacked in before the season then I can relax a bit and work on getting the outside done as I get a chance.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Got the underlayment on the roof, stripped with 1x4’s and ready for the metal at the end of July. Took the month of August off to do a little fishing and relaxing at Grand Isle on the coast of Louisiana.

Attachments

Last edited:

FreezinGator

Equipment
BX1500 LA181 FEL 48MMM Back blade
Jul 10, 2020
Upstate NY
I 'm so jealous. Sea trout are fun to catch, easy to clean and delicious. I miss going out for reds and seatrout esp. fishing topwater lures in the shallows.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
I 'm so jealous. Sea trout are fun to catch, easy to clean and delicious. I miss going out for reds and seatrout esp. fishing topwater lures in the shallows.
The topwater action had been slow this year so far but I try it every trip, eventually it will turn on. Thats my favorite way to fish them by far.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Well it’s been a while since I updated this thread. I took the month of August off to get in some fishing and planned to get back to work on the camp early September. Due to a few hurricanes and rainy weather it was mid September before things settled down enough to start working on it again.

First project was to get the roof on it but my main helper tore his rotator cuff so he is out of action for a few months. In the mean time I noticed the lumber prices have doubled and even trippled in some cases.
My new plan was to get the roof on and wrap the exterior with felt paper for the winter and hopefully by March the lumber prices come back to normal.

My neighbor volunteered to help me roof it and put up the felt so we headed up early yesterday morning and got to work. Finished the roof early evening and had 3/4 of the felt put up. Finished the felt this morning and came back home.

Attachments

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
In a year aggravation and uncertainties for most its good to see you've made progress and had a good accomplishment in the end.
I buy lumber to crate and ship products I make and a spruce 2 x 4 was $2.30 in the spring. Now its $7. bucks. I've heard of a local builder here having three new homes scheduled to be built. Becouse the home price increased so much all three buyers backed out of the sale.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
It's good to see you making progress again and it looks mighty nice. (y) (y)

I see roofing still in the trailer......porch?

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
In a year aggravation and uncertainties for most its good to see you've made progress and had a good accomplishment in the end.
I buy lumber to crate and ship products I make and a spruce 2 x 4 was $2.30 in the spring. Now its $7. bucks. I've heard of a local builder here having three new homes scheduled to be built. Becouse the home price increased so much all three buyers backed out of the sale.
Thanks, several home builders here have stopped building also due to the price increase.

Last edited:

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
It's good to see you making progress again and it looks mighty nice. (y) (y)

I see roofing still in the trailer......porch?
Thanks, the extra sheet of roofing was in with the order. They didn’t charge me for it though. Possibly because 1 sheet was about 2” shorter than the rest but we compensated for it under the ridge cap. 36 foot porch across the front is planned but after the camp is done.
Bought the metal from Reeds Metal in your neck of the woods.

Last edited:

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Yup, I figured that was where it had come from and also no surprise that something was mis-cut. My Grandson left a few weeks ago and he is being missed.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Yup, I figured that was where it had come from and also no surprise that something was mis-cut. My Grandson left a few weeks ago and he is being missed.
I’m sure he is missed. In the end the roof worked out anyway and I have an extra sheet. Glad I went with the 20” ridge cap instead of the 14”. I still have a couple stands to build so the extra sheet will make a good roof for them.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Awesome job bowhunter, congrats. Just got a chance to shoot the bow this morning, gotta love this time of year.

Reactions: 1 user

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Outstanding, it is really hard when you loose your helper! Ya done good,, yes Sir ya done good

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Thanks everyone, it has been a challenging year to start this project. Covid, excessive rain, oppressive heat as usual, hurricane threats and now the lumber prices. In all I am happy with what we accomplished though. Time to relax a bit and do a little hunting now.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I think you left the ends open for ventilation but are there screens to keep the animals out? Here in Texas it would probably be full of insects and animals