calcium/water ballast

beetlebaily

May 30, 2010
waynesburg, pa , usa
Had a rear tire go flat on my 300 hr B7800. Repair guy removed tire and showed me the pitted and corroded rim. He blamed it in the calcium/water mix and Kubota's poorly made rims. He then installed a tube and refilled it with the mix, saying the rim would eventually puncture the tube. Owners manual said it would not hurt tire, tube or rim. That's just not right. THIS site said that even if the tire is tubless, a tube should be installed before adding calcium/water mix to prevent corroding the rim that will then ruin the seal. I think the Kubota dealer that put this stuff in the new tractor tire should have know what would eventually happen. What a shame!!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Had a rear tire go flat on my 300 hr B7800. Repair guy removed tire and showed me the pitted and corroded rim. He blamed it in the calcium/water mix and Kubota's poorly made rims. He then installed a tube and refilled it with the mix, saying the rim would eventually puncture the tube. Owners manual said it would not hurt tire, tube or rim. That's just not right. THIS site said that even if the tire is tubless, a tube should be installed before adding calcium/water mix to prevent corroding the rim that will then ruin the seal. I think the Kubota dealer that put this stuff in the new tractor tire should have know what would eventually happen. What a shame!!
salt + steel + time = rust.....period!!!!!!!!!

Old fords 8n's would ballast out the rears with CaCl and last 30 years....but when it ate through - IT ATE through!!!!

Now filling a rim with almost anything is fine......BUT not salt - salt in a tube - you are A ok ! AS for the tube in a rusted rim.....there are "patches" you can place over the bad area on the rim to protect the tube and they are cheaper than a new rim!:D:)

rut3556

Equipment
L2250, TG1860
Oct 23, 2015
NH, USA
Not sure how old your B7800 is, but my local Kubota service guy said they haven't used Calcium Chloride as ballast for at least 15 years. They now use some other sort of "inert" ballast material.

My L2250 is at said dealer as we speak, having new rear rims installed for the very same reason. In all fairness, the tractor is 31 years old, so it did take a while for the rims to give out.

Since these rims are no longer available from Kubota I had to have a set made up by Wold im out of Iowa. As soon as they're installed I'll be posting pics.

UPDATE: Just this minute heard from the dealer, and my tractor with its new wheels will be delivered around 11 this morning! :)

Last edited:

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Beet Juice or Windshield Washer solvent in cold climates. Warm climates, Beet Juice or water with a rust preventative.

rut3556

Equipment
L2250, TG1860
Oct 23, 2015
NH, USA
Here are the new wheels I just had installed as a result of mine being eaten away by calcium chloride. Since they are unavailable from Kubota these were made up by Wold Rim out of Iowa.

WELD

May 9, 2016
Salem MA
I was recently debating loading my tires with antifreeze. the rims are not in great condition so i have held off and i decided that before i load them i plan on dismounting them and taking a good wire wheel to the inside of the rim and then paint it or seal it up with something like flexseal or some high solids paint. way i figure is anything helps.

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
I'm putting new tires on my B6200 and was thinking of putting tubes in and using calcium as ballast. Cheaper than wiper fluid and 40% more weight.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
I stopped by my two local tractor dealers today to see what they are using for ballast. Both use and sell CitraStar 50 made by Ballast Star. Interesting enough Kubota sells it for $3.50/gal. and JD sells it for $2.95/gal. I found Rim Guard next state over, but that's $4.35/gal. + travel. I'll get the tires off and see what the rims look like and paint if needed.

Last edited:

Adman1100

Equipment
L2250 Loader woodsplitter Snowblower
Apr 12, 2015
Gorham NH
I just purchased a 55 gal. drum of RIM-Guard at a local dealer for 2.90 a gal. Shop around and you can find deals. A local tractor dealer sells it for 2.80 a gal but they install it for a labor charge. Might still be a great deal but, as I have my own equipment and am cheap I did it myself.

vt05461

Equipment
B3350SU
Jul 2, 2016
Hinesburg, Vermont
You are not necessarily A-OK with CaCL in a tubed tire. When the valve leaks, and it will sooner or later, you will get salt water between the tube and the rim. Personal experience with a JD950.

Sammy3700

Equipment
L3800HST,524Loader,BH77,Landplane,Disk,Mowers and more
Feb 20, 2012
Red Springs, NC
Yes the tube will. The old 8ns or all the ones I had did have tubes. Flat or a few along the way along with a leaking stem and here you go. What ever you do just be sure it is not corrosive.

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
I was going to go with Citrastar-50 @ $2.99/gal., but was at Wally World today and -20F washer fluid is .75 cents/gal. so compared to $2.99/gal. I'm leaning towards washer fluid as the $67 savings will put a quart of Liquitube in each front tire.

BCrouse

Jul 30, 2016
PA
I was going to go with Citrastar-50 @ $2.99/gal., but was at Wally World today and -20F washer fluid is .75 cents/gal. so compared to $2.99/gal. I'm leaning towards washer fluid as the $67 savings will put a quart of Liquitube in each front tire.

I just filled my rears with -20 WWF. So far its working out nicely. I can defiantly tell there is more weight. It added roughly 250lbs per rear time for me. Tractor feels more planted and less "bucky" when driving around with the FEL.

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
WWF is cheaper than rimguard but keep in mind rimguard weighs 11lbs per gal vs 6.6 for WWF, so you're filling with 40% less weight per gallon.

If you look at rimguard around $3/gal (plus installation unless you're cheap and want to do it yourself), you're only paying $0.27 per lb...which is a pretty darn good deal for something that won't freeze, won't rot your rim, and will give you the maximum ballast (traction/counterweight) possible.

Its not "cheap", but I would never consider anything other than rimguard if I'm loading my tires. Last I knew, alcohol and rubber don't play well together, so I'd be interested to see if WWF causes premature dry rot or other issues with tires over time.....

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
WWF is cheaper than rimguard but keep in mind rimguard weighs 11lbs per gal vs 6.6 for WWF, so you're filling with 40% less weight per gallon.

If you look at rimguard around $3/gal (plus installation unless you're cheap and want to do it yourself), you're only paying $0.27 per lb...which is a pretty darn good deal for something that won't freeze, won't rot your rim, and will give you the maximum ballast (traction/counterweight) possible.

Its not "cheap", but I would never consider anything other than rimguard if I'm loading my tires. Last I knew, alcohol and rubber don't play well together, so I'd be interested to see if WWF causes premature dry rot or other issues with tires over time.....
Your math is a little fuzzy on the weight -20F WWF weighs 7.6lbs/gal - pure methanol weighs 6.6lbs/gal. I've read about no issues with tire issues due to WWF. I have to drive an hour each way and pay $3.99/gal. for Rimguard - not in my budget. But I'll post any problems that I may encounter should any arise.