• I have no opinion...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ArkansasTed

Equipment
2017 Kubota L3301 HST, LA525 FEL, 6' Land Pride box blade
Aug 5, 2017
Eureka Springs, AR
Minus 25*C here and doing just fine on my open platform Kubota and 55 Allis Chalmers.

I don't have to worry about wipers or fog! LOL. Put on my Tough Duck jacket and my Kubota tuque and good to go.
This is unrelated to the actual topic, but I noticed that a few of you have used the * for the degree symbol. If you ever want to type the actual symbols it can be easily done with the ALT key on your keyboard. Of course if you use your phone for posting, this probably won't work.

The degree symbol ° is placed by holding the ALT key and typing the numbers 248 on the numbers keypad on the right side of the keyboard then releasing the ALT key (can't use the numbers at the top of the keyboard). Make sure the numbers lock is on.

Here is a list of all the symbols that work with the ALT+number combination.

https://www.alt-codes.net/

Just a little FYI :) .

Last edited:

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I live in TN, weather wise no true need for a cab. I'm on and off quite a bit and am in the woods some, so the cab would just get in the way. If it's cold enough for snow, I'm skiing not working on the tractor ;)

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
This is unrelated to the actual topic, but I noticed that a few of you have used the * for the degree symbol. If you ever want to type the actual symbols it can be easily done with the ALT key on your keyboard. Of course if you use your phone for posting, this probably won't work.

The degree symbol ° is placed by holding the ALT key and typing the numbers 248 on the numbers keypad on the right side of the keyboard then releasing the ALT key (can't use the numbers at the top of the keyboard). Make sure the numbers lock is on.

Yea, I remember the good ole days when we used the extended ascii keys for all kinds of stuff. Drawing, making forms, complicated passwords, even the animated proposal to my wife of 30 years!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Digger Dager

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M59 TLB, B3200 w/front snow blower, 3 @ ZD326 62" rear discharge mowers
In 2012, we bought a slightly used 2009 B3200 that had a steel Curtis cab, heater and BL2664 snowblower. First winter after delivery we had several heavy snows. It was a dream to use this little beast with 64" blower width, compared to the Simplicity 7118 garden tractor with a soft cab, no heat and only 42" width that we had used for many years to blow snow. We have about one mile of paved and gravel drives that need to be opened up for our visitors.

Our next large purchase was a Laurin Inc. cab (from Quebec, Canada) with heat for our M59 TLB. I won't go back to an open station TLB. I'm getting to old to deal with the cold. ;) We take the doors and back window off during the summer. Bonus, a better resale price when we decide to replace the M59.

If you live in a cold and snowy part of the world, a cab just makes a lot of sense.

Digger

LOMartin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC / B77 / FEL / LP Grapple
Jul 14, 2018
Savannah, Georgia
Savannah, GA

thick woods, I'm on and off a lot clearing trails and a property area.

the cab is awesome. keeps you away from the bugs and give you a hit of AC when you jump in.

I have no problem going through the forest with a cab.

Most of the people that say a cab wouldn't work in the forest, don't own a cab...

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I love my cab! In the winter it is warm and comfortable to work with pushing snow in the sub freezing weather. I had open station on my past 3 Kubota's but went with the cab knowing I was getting rid of my plow truck. No more rusting out plow trucks for me. In the summer, the bugs stay outside and I'm inside keeping cool in the AC. Working the driveway or in the woods, when I had the open stations I was always getting hit in the face or on the ears by branches and other low hanging things, now the cab takes the hit and it doesn't bother it and no big scratches on my face. By the way, my driveway is 1000' long and gravel with a steep hill that curls up to the house and with chains on the rear (just bought chains for the front too) I can back up the hill and plow down with ease.

Attachments

LOMartin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC / B77 / FEL / LP Grapple
Jul 14, 2018
Savannah, Georgia
The little tractor that could.

Cleared a few hundred feet of right of way;
Chainsaw, brush cutter, then grapple everything up, land pride 60" grapple

It was great jumping in the cool cab after hours of felling trees.

Plus the bluetooth from my Helmet Sena transitions easily to the bluetooth in the cab.

other benefits, the cab is cleaner. out of the elements. no cats ripping up your seat. less rust. less mice (when appropriate steps are taken)

the glasss provideds awesome PPE for fall and eye damage.
protected from branches, rocks flying up.

Just had a rock hit my front glass as I was digging up a root. that could have been my face or eyes.

Yes it's a $4K extra to have a cab, but its worth it.

Attachments

Last edited:

mic214

Equipment
Kubota LX2610 W/cab brushhog, box blade & pallet forks
May 11, 2014
Colorado
I have an open station L3901 and there are times I wish I had a cab. It would make it warmer in the winter and less dusty in the summer. I have a canopy on my tractor, so one of the soft sided cabs would probably work.

Ping

Equipment
BX2370-1
Dec 25, 2018
Troy, Ohio
After freezing my backside off for 3 years, I now have a cab and absolutely love it! Single digit temps (f) and windy this past weekend. I'll never go back to removing snow with an open station again. If you chose not to pay for aftermarket, just build your own!
Regards

Attachments

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
After freezing my backside off for 3 years, I now have a cab and absolutely love it! Single digit temps (f) and windy this past weekend. I'll never go back to removing snow with an open station again. If you chose not to pay for aftermarket, just build your own!
Regards
Lol, good of you to carry a shovel for others who might need it. ;)

Ping

Equipment
BX2370-1
Dec 25, 2018
Troy, Ohio
Bearbait, I am the ***8216;others***8217;. I take care of 4 elderly neighbors driveways. Maybe I need to carry a spare shovel for the able bodied?:rolleyes:

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I am one of those people who really like winter and shoveling snow. When we lived in town, I'd go out for a couple hours and shovel / snow blow 6-10 drives before calling it quits. Usually finished up in a sweatshirt, never cold. This winter is my second with my B3200 and the first that we actually had enough snow to dig out. I did not think a cab was required when I bought it. I do have a canopy for keeping the sun off though.

I bundled up with my Carharts and Polartech gear. The only thing that got cold were my cheeks and my feet. My bad for not wearing good insulated boots and covering my face on that one.

The cab for me is a nice to have, like a backhoe. I would get use out of it a couple times a year and the rest of the time would wonder why I bought it. That being said having some sort of temporary one that would snap on to the canopy and offer some wind protection may not be bad.... maybe rig up a 12V ceramic heater to generate a bit of warmth....

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
I've been running open-station tractors all my life. Then I inherited my father-in-law's MF-135 which had part of a cab on it, just the front window, roof and rear window. Just that little bit of protection made me suddenly appreciate how uncomfortable an open-station tractor is in the weather extremes, especially when blowing snow.

Fast forward a few years to the point when my wife knew she was near retirement and decided to purchase a retirement gift for me (yeah, she's a real sweetie!). The gift came in the form of my first Kubota, a B7510 with heated Curtis cab, front-mounted blower, mowing deck, etc. Wow, I was in heaven!

Then I bought an open-station B7200 and rear-mount snow blower to keep things opened up at the airport. Ugh! The wind at the airport means I always wear at least 10% of everything that goes through that snow blower!

Then along came a really sweet low-time open-station B7510... sold the B7200 and ran the B7510 at the airport, all the while ingesting more than my fair share of snow. Holy smokes it's cold when the wind is howling, driving that snow through every little chink in your personal body armor!

When my father needed a tractor I took that B7510 and installed an excellent cab. Wow, talk about comfort. It has a fantastic heater, two-speed windshield wiper, great lights. I used it recently to clear Dad's half mile of driveway and had to take my coat off because I was too warm. And the cab provides excellent visibility - unlike with the Curtis cab, the Jodale-Perry cab allows me to see the front wheels.

All of these gyrations left me with no tractor at the airport, so I bought a high-time B2410 with B2550 front-mounted blower and a mowing deck. It also has a canopy. Mowing grass under the canopy was a real pleasure... Then came winter. Once again I'm getting more snow in every crook and cranny. Once again I find myself wishing I had a cab on that tractor but know it's not a possibility since the cab is too tall to go under the wing of my airplane, thus I'd have to move the tractor every time I move the airplane. In fact I've taken its non-folding ROPS and canopy off for this same reason, but will likely install a folding ROPS and mount the canopy to that for summer operations. Being out of the sun under the canopy is really nice and this tractor is a delight to use for mowing grass.

So... that leaves me with a pair of B7510's with heated cabs - LOVE those cabs! And a MF-135 with parts of a cab - that's a heck of a lot better than nothing. And a B2410 with no cab. Brrrrrrr - wish it had a cab!

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Bearbait, I am the ***8216;others***8217;. I take care of 4 elderly neighbors driveways. Maybe I need to carry a spare shovel for the able bodied?:rolleyes:
Before I moved to my cottage I used to do the same however now I have to go too far to help others. It's a good feeling helping people who need it, good on you.

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Am in the same boat as Ping. I do 5 or 6 driveways besides my own, with about 2 miles of road between the two furthest places. All older folks who otherwise would have a hard time dealing with snow.

In return, they treat me well. Lots of home baking, gift cards, gas cards and the odd bottle of booze. My little bit of effort is clearly appreciated.

Ping

Equipment
BX2370-1
Dec 25, 2018
Troy, Ohio
Same here. The elderly really appreciate the help. I tell them every year I don't want or expect payment. They're gratitude and appreciation are thanks enough. My elderly must be hard of hearing because every year I receive similar payment to NoJacket; baked goods, gift cards and veggies from their gardens.
Hoping some day when I get to be there age some youngster will be there to help out.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Same here. The elderly really appreciate the help. I tell them every year I don't want or expect payment. They're gratitude and appreciation are thanks enough. My elderly must be hard of hearing because every year I receive similar payment to NoJacket; baked goods, gift cards and veggies from their gardens.
Hoping some day when I get to be there age some youngster will be there to help out.
Elderly huh? I'm 70 and I'm not elderly, I'm just an old fart. Seems as though I do the younger folks drives around here.:eek:

Besides, it's fun to sit way up there and watch the big plow peel off the snow and the tractor not even strain....

Attachments

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Flip, you've been posting pictures and telling about your snow removal equipment and amounts of snow. Wasn't it you telling us a few weeks ago you have someone come clean you snow for $10 a pop?

Now come on, a $1000 plow divided by $10 per job, doesn't that equal 100 snow events? What changed?

Howling

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 5, 2016
Ayer, MA
6 year with walk behind. 3 years open station on the BX. 1 storm with $300 vinyl cab. Much nicer. Should of done it years ago.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada

I would have never figured that out! LOL. Thanks.
Now to remember that, LOL.

When it comes to modern tech I know nothing about it. I still wish I had a basic flip phone.