Cab heaters preferably 12V ?

MILESKellogs

Equipment
B3200 & GR2120
May 17, 2021
omaha
Having recently installed a soft cab on my B3200 (a story in itself :mad: ) The "FREE HEATER" supplied with the cab was rated at 300W which would pull 25 amps. HMM the Dynamo only puts out about 14A or NICE!!. So that led to researching upgrading the charging system. Another long story :rolleyes:.. So I now have a 90 Amp 1 wire alternator installed with all of the wiring upgraded accordingly. I proceed to install the "FREE 300w HEATER". Hmm seems a bit weak on the output?
A kwik check shows it only pulling about 16-17A.
OK so I start looking for something with a bit more grunt and what I find on Amazon has marginal reviews at best. So I figured maybe someone here has walked this road and could give me their input. I really don't want to go the hot water route as space is limited and the Plan is to remove the cab etc. during the summer months. Any input/ experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks 🍻

Reactions: 1 user

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I guess your 300 watt heater is really only 200 watts, then. You could try to have the vendor make it good. Generally twelve volt electric heaters aren't that good, anyhow. You may not care to sacrifice the space for a hot water heater but I don't think you'll find electric that satisfactory in the long run.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
300 watts when directly related to pure heat is not that much as you have found out. And at 17 amps draw via a 25/30 amp fuse (would not use a 20 amp fuse) it would have to run a good bit to make that thin soft cab hold heat. Depending on the "cold" - the heater could be ok on those days when it "cool" and not real cold. As with any type of heat/ac - you have to heat the surrounding air, the metal the air touches, the seat, the steering wheel.... etc. It takes a long time to bring those items UP to any type of warm temps.

Since you do not want to go the hot water route - you only have another choice - and that is add ANOTHER 25 fused circuit and double the heater capacity ( get another 300 watt heater!)

This will take up more space in the cab too. After a while it becomes a loosing battle depending on the cold!

If you could park the tractor in a garage and add heat once started - it might be a little better - again the items that are absorbing heat could already be somewhat warm before you head out into the cold.

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
Has anyone used a fuel fired heater for a tractor application?

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
Has anyone used a fuel fired heater for a tractor application?
I've been looking at them as a portable heat source for winter camping.

$1000 for the unit. Needs 12V to run the fuel pump and fan, and a fuel tank BELOW the unit.
Then some flex to get the spent fuel exhaust out and away.

Might be a bit much all in all.

You can get the chi-com version for $100 plus, but the burners are aluminum, where as the European items are Stainless Steel.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Some hot rod heaters are about 4.5 x 8 inches and put out a lot of heat. Mine is mounted in a home made cab that I remove each spring for the summer. The heater hoses are flexible 3/8" ID that hook up in place of the water pump bypass hose. Easy to hook up and return to normal each season. Mine is a Jegs heater.
A couple of days ago in -22° F temp (no wind chill factor) i was comfortable in shirt sleeves moving snow.
Well worth the short time it takes to drain a little off the radiator to hookup or unhook those heater hoses.

You could also mount the heater on the outside with only the face of the heater inside the cab....in the location of your choice. You might have to insulate the outside portion a little bit just to keep the fan motor happy. But once you pick a mounting spot and a heater to fit.....the rest is easy.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
the diesel air heaters can be bought for $150-200 depending on where purchased,time of year. A LOT of heat out of them,could be fed from tractor fueltank. Biggest problem with any heater is WHERE to put it ! Odds are good YOU have extra,bulky clothes on, maybe mitts too so YOU need more space.

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
I also like the option of pre-heating the coolant. This should reduce the regen frequency.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
backyard bodge... power a 1600 watt ,120 VAC 'space heater' from a 12VDC to 120VAC power inverter.
checked online, walmart.ca has 1600 watt units for just over $120 Canucks. Some even have USB charging ports. It would be a 'clean' install,and come summer, you have 120 VAC for other stuff, like electric chainsaw !

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
backyard bodge... power a 1600 watt ,120 VAC 'space heater' from a 12VDC to 120VAC power inverter.
checked online, walmart.ca has 1600 watt units for just over $120 Canucks. Some even have USB charging ports. It would be a 'clean' install,and come summer, you have 120 VAC for other stuff, like electric chainsaw !
Am I missing something? The draw on a 12vdc battery in your example would be in excess of 130 amps.

How long will a 12v battery last with a 1500 watt inverter? A 12 volt 50Ah lithium iron phosphate (LiFP04) battery with regular depth of discharge (DoD) of 80% will run a fully-loaded 1500 watt inverter for 13 minutes. The calculation incorporates typical pure sine wave inverter efficiency of 95%.

Not sure how many AmpHours in my Kubota battery but even if it's 100 amphours that would only last 26 minutes in the example above.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Best 12V usage is for the two speed fan in one of these heaters. Plumb it into the tractor cooling circuit and go. I used one of these in a cab I built for the L3200, and another in a cab we put on the Montana at work. They can make enough heat to chase you out of the cab.

Reactions: 2 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
He installed a 90 Amp alternator... more than enough to run the inverter
Unlikely he'll be sitting in the cab without the engine running;)
Also ,if he does go 'electric heat', he should upgrade the stock battery anyway, especially if older than say 4-5 years.
And you're assuming it's on full blast. Once the cabin's up to warm and toasty, the heater will 'cycle' same as a house furnace does.
BTW a 1500 W heater is about 5100 BTUs,easy enough to 'do the math' , when you know cabin volume, outside temperature and desired inside temperature. several online 'fill-in-the-blanks' aps nowadays.

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
He installed a 90 Amp alternator... more than enough to run the inverter
Unlikely he'll be sitting in the cab without the engine running;)
Also ,if he does go 'electric heat', he should upgrade the stock battery anyway, especially if older than say 4-5 years.
And you're assuming it's on full blast. Once the cabin's up to warm and toasty, the heater will 'cycle' same as a house furnace does.
BTW a 1500 W heater is about 5100 BTUs,easy enough to 'do the math' , when you know cabin volume, outside temperature and desired inside temperature. several online 'fill-in-the-blanks' aps nowadays.
1500w driven by 12v gives a current draw of 133amps at 100% efficiency. On high setting, would be drawing 43 amps over the alternator output. Do the math.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
1500w driven by 12v gives a current draw of 133amps at 100% efficiency. On high setting, would be drawing 43 amps over the alternator output. Do the math.
Zackly !

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Another option might be heated clothing. A motorcyclist's electric vest draws about 3 amps and keeps one quite toasty.

Reactions: 3 users

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Having recently installed a soft cab on my B3200 (a story in itself :mad: ) The "FREE HEATER" supplied with the cab was rated at 300W which would pull 25 amps. HMM the Dynamo only puts out about 14A or NICE!!. So that led to researching upgrading the charging system. Another long story :rolleyes:.. So I now have a 90 Amp 1 wire alternator installed with all of the wiring upgraded accordingly. I proceed to install the "FREE 300w HEATER". Hmm seems a bit weak on the output?
A kwik check shows it only pulling about 16-17A.
OK so I start looking for something with a bit more grunt and what I find on Amazon has marginal reviews at best. So I figured maybe someone here has walked this road and could give me their input. I really don't want to go the hot water route as space is limited and the Plan is to remove the cab etc. during the summer months. Any input/ experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks 🍻
I know your already invested with the new alternator you bought but the hot water heater core is the way to go.
I have the same soft cab as you on my BX and my heater core is 28000 BTU's. Theres no need to close up any gaps in the cab as its plenty warm. Kind of like running heat in your vehicle with the windows cracked open!
Not sure about your machine but the BX draws air to the radiator via the screen under the steering wheel which also sucks heat from the cab. I blocked off the screen and removed two plates on either side of the battery to allow air to be drawn from under the tractor. Works like a charm.
BTW i also received the same free heater with the cab. First off thank goodness it was free and second I will use it for target practice come spring!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Ping

Equipment
BX2370-1
Dec 25, 2018
Troy, Ohio
Best 12V usage is for the two speed fan in one of these heaters. Plumb it into the tractor cooling circuit and go. I used one of these in a cab I built for the L3200, and another in a cab we put on the Montana at work. They can make enough heat to chase you out of the cab.

On the advice of Chim and a couple others here, I installed this heater in my BX cab. They really put out the heat. If I were to run it on ‘high’, I’d be shopping for a speedo! And, nobody wants to see that😜

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

MILESKellogs

Equipment
B3200 & GR2120
May 17, 2021
omaha
Thanks for all the replies. looks like there is no easy solution other than tapping into the cooling system or the diesel as mentioned. I found a couple of 600W units designed and built and here in the US. Spoke with the owner of this company and was impressed with his knowledge and truthfulness. HE SPEAKES ENGINEERING :) Heater link
There is another US company as well. Will have to snooze on it :)
thanks again for all the replies, Greatly appreciated 🍻

MILESKellogs

Equipment
B3200 & GR2120
May 17, 2021
omaha
Just a kwik update, because I'm hardheaded and have already upgraded to the 90A alternator I rolled the dice on the heater in the previous post> Once installed I'll report back and take my beating if needed ;) Thanks again for all the replys