BX2660 Lost engine power and almost stalled

JeepinMaxx

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660, LA243 FEL, RCK54P-23BX MMM, BX2751 QH Subframe, BX2750D 50" Blower
Mar 27, 2018
Columbia, CT
Had problems with my BX today during the blizzard in CT. Went to move some snow tonight with the engine around 2200 RPM and after about 5 minutes the engine started to sputter, dropped it down to idle, to keep it running enough to get it back to the shed (still sputtering). Reved the RPMs back up for a minute and it cut out again. Is this the diesel fuel turning to gel in the primary filter? It was single digits F last night? I use Power Service additive all year

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
In a blizzard like condition - check and see if the air box has been blocked by snow and frozen water.

But I am gonna lay odds your have a fuel or fuel delivery problem.

Power service white bottle?

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Had problems with my BX today during the blizzard in CT. Went to move some snow tonight with the engine around 2200 RPM and after about 5 minutes the engine started to sputter, dropped it down to idle, to keep it running enough to get it back to the shed (still sputtering). Reved the RPMs back up for a minute and it cut out again. Is this the diesel fuel turning to gel in the primary filter? It was single digits F last night? I use Power Service additive all year
I had that happen once on my old JD tractor during the winter. I ended up draining the tank and filter bowl, then refilling with fresh fuel. Started right up and ran great. I believe that the fuel must have gotten water condensation during storage in a half full tank.

JeepinMaxx

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2018
Columbia, CT
Thanks for your input! I added some diesel power service 911 we'll see how that works! Will be long day tomorrow shoveling a foot of snow if it doesn't work

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
911 only works on the gelled fuel in the bowl, and my guess is that you are not using enough of the white bottle fuel conditioner. I am also in CT and experienced the same temperatures as you, but I give my fuel a healthy dosing every time I fill the tank, and I always try to keep the tank topped off to avoid moisture problems. On my old tractor, I didn't keep up with changing the fuel filters and one was finally clogged. Changed the filters and I was back to work. I keep spare filters on hand just for "emergencies". If you haven't changed your filters recently, then do it now.

Reactions: 1 user

Whatscooking

Equipment
Grand L 3130. BX2360. RTV900. GRASSHOPPER 721D
May 19, 2021
Indiana
Why the hell Kubota doesn't put a sock on the pickup in the tank is crazy to me. The picup line in the tank is a very small port that plugs easily. Such a bastard setup.

Last edited:

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Check the air filter, as was already pointed out, good possibility in that storm you sucked in a bunch of snow and plugged it

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I also use power service stanadyne (the silver bottle which isnt as much winter additive) and have checked my diesel stores in temps as low as 5° and they were totally fine. If you are using that stuff you might be able to rule out fuel gelling.

Last edited:

Bota2230

Equipment
Bx2230
Apr 30, 2021
Quakertown pa
I used to use power service and I found that It did not work as well as other fuel anti-gels out there. I now use polar power I also have 4 heavy haulers that I switched also and have not an issue since the switch. I have plenty of fuel issues with power service. I do all my services myself and I know what works for me without a doubt! My 2 cents

Last edited:

JeepinMaxx

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2018
Columbia, CT
Thanks for your suggestions! I added Power Service 911 last night and it didn’t start this morning (1st time ever not starting!). I use PS Diesel Supplement year round (used to use Howes). It’s supposed to warm up to 40 degrees mid-week, I’ll try it after things thaw out. The 1st filter is hard to get to tucked up above where the mower deck goes. Propping up a heat gun there sounds like a fire waiting to happen!

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Is this the diesel fuel turning to gel in the primary filter?

Maybe.

Also maybe:
  • Water in your fuel.
  • Some debris in your fuel tank clogging the outlet.
  • Clogged filter.
  • Failing lift pump.
  • Failing injection pump.
  • Clogged air intake.
  • Maybe a few other things.
Some of those are more likely, some are less likely (like the injection pump). The point is, nobody can tell you what is IS. We're not there and we haven't done and cannot do any troubleshooting on your machine.

All we can do is tell you what it might be, and then you have to figure it out from there.

That doesn't stop some people on forums from pronouncing with certainty on your situation, but smart people won't do that.