BX2660 broken fan altenative

Firescooby

Equipment
2010 BX2660, Ansung B2405, Kubota MMM, LMC BB
Jun 28, 2014
Cleveland GA
So the blades on my fan are broken off. I have the Brotek skid plate, but it got bent last year and I haven't fixed it and got it back on yet...

Anyway...instead of going through the PIA of changing fan...what's the opinion of using a 3" Attwood Bilge Blower fan mounted to blow on the hydro case?

I saw the idea on this forum, and videos say it moves a lot of air.

Attachments

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Might work great in the short term.

Just thinking that little fan might get gummed up with dirt, leaves, etc. and not work long. The open blades of the OEM sling stuff off; the enclosed barrel might collect it.

I’ll be curious what others think, because it does avoid taking a lot apart for a $20 part....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I think your risking it doing a $10 quick fix for a $100 real fix that could be at the expense of a $4500 transmission. :eek:

In other words spend the time and money to do it right! ;)

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I think your risking it doing a $10 quick fix for a $100 real fix that could be at the expense of a $4500 transmission. :eek:

In other words spend the time and money to do it right! ;)
I second, fix it right.
Every few weeks I see a Quick Fix gone wrong and now they are spending way more money to correct and repair.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
It's too easy to do it right. Sort of like heater core R&R in a car, people "dread" them, then do it...and when all is said and done, it's not that bad. And it really isn't. Remove the engine and it should give you just enough space to pull the shaft far enough forward to get the fan off.

I had a customer request that we cut the fan in half and then bolt both halves to each side of the shaft...which I did...have not heard back from him whether or not it stayed together or not.

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Just wondering out loud......has anyone ever hooked a temp gauge to the hydro oil?

I wonder at what point that fan becomes necessary. I'm betting 99% of the time, for what most of us do with these BX's, the fan may not be necessary, especially in cooler climates & temps. Maybe if you live in Arizona, and are constantly doing F&R in 120 degree temps, it might save your bacon.

I could be all wrong, but I'm suspicious it's even necessary for most of us.

Other's thoughts?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I could be all wrong, but I'm suspicious it's even necessary for most of us.
Nope it's necessary for just about everyone, it's the only cooling that the unit gets.
You would be surprised, but you even need the fan in the winter. ;)

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
not sure how much different the 60 series is from my old BX23 (2006 model). When I had to replace the fan it was approx 1.5 hour job. pulled the floor and fenders. unbolted the driveshaft and was able to slide the driveshaft forward enough to sneak a new fan in. Did not have to pull the engine.

There were some pretty simple steps listed somewhere (I think on TBN).

If you do it, think about replacing the alternator belt too while the shaft is separated.

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Nope it's necessary for just about everyone, it's the only cooling that the unit gets.
You would be surprised, but you even need the fan in the winter. ;)
I'd like to see some test data, cuz I'm not buying it. I would think, if hydro oil temp was so critical, there should be a gauge for it along with engine temp.

If it's anything like the automotive world, vehicles have to be engineered for the 1% of the population that actually goes 10/10ths with their vehicles.

Besides, surface to air with no separate cooling path is not the most efficient method of cooling a fluid.

My commercial ZTR uses a stack style cooler with no fan, which I found interesting.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I'd like to see some test data, cuz I'm not buying it. I would think, if hydro oil temp was so critical, there should be a gauge for it along with engine temp.
mmmmmm...

almost ever "new" car out now days....(not talking fancy ones) ...have NO temp gauge, ONLY and idiot light - much like having a RED LED light on your chest AS you have a heart attack, almost useless!

But getting back to cooling - that fan is all you have, and EVEN with it working, all the stuff that collects under the unit and in the aluminum fins can cause problems IF not checked on once in a while.

My BX has all it's little $15 fins, but the last time I was under her, it wasnt a birds nest but damn sure could have been with all the debris I found in the fins.

The reason there is NO gauge is simple - the fluid in the hydraulics is of a type that can take the abuse of most users, notice I said most. The fan is essential, without it .... as was said earlier........pay the cost and time of a new one placed on...or the dealer can order you a new pump and whatnot!;)

Now there was a fellow here WHO split the fan......novel IDEA to say the least:D