BX25D BH Hesitation

NetMagi

Equipment
BX25D (sold), L2501HST w/BH77 Backhoe
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
I got my BX25D right before winter, and only got to use the backhoe once before it and the FEL came off in exchange for a snowblower. Fast-forward to this weekend, and I swapped back to BH and FEL, and used it for the second time to move a small tree.

I noticed that the dipper/bucket control stick was "sticking" and took a look at it last night. That ended up being a simple adjustment to one bolt at the pivot point on the lever (which I'll post about separately), but I noticed a second issue when testing everything out in the garage.

When I return the backhoe boom all the way to the top-most position (the position where the boom is closest to the tractor), it loads up the motor and hesitates before it reaches the stop position.

I took a quick video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJcpUW4wh7I

Is this normal?

I can't see any reason why it would suddenly get harder to lift close to the top like that, before the stop. If I bring it all the way up, turn off the tractor, and then open the valve to allow the boom to drop, it seems to move freely.

I didn't capture it on video, but if I go really slow, it seems to load up close to the top, then free a bit, before loading up again ahead of the stop.

-Rich H.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I got my BX25D right before winter, and only got to use the backhoe once before it and the FEL came off in exchange for a snowblower. Fast-forward to this weekend, and I swapped back to BH and FEL, and used it for the second time to move a small tree.

I noticed that the dipper/bucket control stick was "sticking" and took a look at it last night. That ended up being a simple adjustment to one bolt at the pivot point on the lever (which I'll post about separately), but I noticed a second issue when testing everything out in the garage.

When I return the backhoe boom all the way to the top-most position (the position where the boom is closest to the tractor), it loads up the motor and hesitates before it reaches the stop position.

Is this normal?

I can't see any reason why it would suddenly get harder to lift close to the top like that, before the stop. If I bring it all the way up, turn off the tractor, and then open the valve to allow the boom to drop, it seems to move freely.

I didn't capture it on video, but if I go really slow, it seems to load up close to the top, then free a bit, before loading up again ahead of the stop.

-Rich H.
Rich,

I see in the video - that is strange......

Anyway water got in control valve? Air in the line - even that would get out over time..........

debris in the line? Even that would not cause it to bind in the same point all the time.....
ANYTHING physically in the way?????

NetMagi

Equipment
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
Rich,

I see in the video - that is strange......

Anyway water got in control valve? Air in the line - even that would get out over time..........

debris in the line? Even that would not cause it to bind in the same point all the time.....
ANYTHING physically in the way?????
Nothing appears to be in the way to me. It sat outside at the dealer before I bought it, but it's been garaged (tractor, FEL & BH) since December.

NetMagi

Equipment
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
Would anyone volunteer to take a quick vid of their BX25D and do the same thing? Just slowly raise the boom up to the stop.

I think I had the rev's @ ~2100, but even higher up, the hesitation/engine load-up is there, it's just less pronounced since the motor is making more HP.

-Rich H.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
That looks like a little bit of air in the cylinder. Notice it does it when the cylinder hits perfectly vertical and then it has to power over the top to pull the arm back past vertical. I'd check to make sure nothing is physically interfering though (caught line, rock, etc.).

So with the disconnect for the winter you might have gotten some air in there.

Also, the load down seems to be the requirement of more power to push that cylinder past vertical and pull the arm closed, at least that's my guess.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, you usually won't have the hoe in that position much when working, it's mostly a storage position. If it runs right in all the other positions it should be okay. The air should eventually work its way out of the system and you should only hit the load up when moving the hoe into storage position.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
That looks like a little bit of air in the cylinder. Notice it does it when the cylinder hits perfectly vertical and then it has to power over the top to pull the arm back past vertical. I'd check to make sure nothing is physically interfering though (caught line, rock, etc.).

So with the disconnect for the winter you might have gotten some air in there.

Also, the load down seems to be the requirement of more power to push that cylinder past vertical and pull the arm closed, at least that's my guess.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, you usually won't have the hoe in that position much when working, it's mostly a storage position. If it runs right in all the other positions it should be okay. The air should eventually work its way out of the system and you should only hit the load up when moving the hoe into storage position.
After listening to the video (could not do it in the classroom) I can hear it now.....

what RPMS are you running ?And does it change with 1500 - 3000 ?

I agree with Shaun in what he says.

Mine will do that when it swings......right when it makes contact with the bumpers.

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
Could be one of your quick connects . Try disconnecting them , make sure they are very clean , hook it back up and see if makes a difference . I know mine does slow down when returning it to that position going full open . I think it is supposed too so it doesn't slam . Kind of like when you swing and it comes up to the rubber snubber . If you notice , it actually starts to slow before it compresses the snubber .
I will try doing a video of mine . Not promising anything though , my luck at posting usually doesn't work out that well , lol . But I'll try .

Last edited:

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
Well I tried to upload a video to you tube . Not sure if it worked or not . May just be slow uploading . But anyway,, mine does the same , perfectly normal . It is supposed to do that . Keeps it from slamming . The video is titled "my backhoe comparison" tags , Kubota, backhoe .

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

Is this normal?

-Rich H.
Netmagi,

you got me thinking .....
so I went out and filmed mine.....
guess what - same thing :D
I too think that once it gets vertical there is a bind in the change of direction, thus the hiccup!!!!

check out mine (no that is NOT my type of beer - can:D)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-j8CAgHdQY

NetMagi

Equipment
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
Thanks SOO much for the vids and replies guys!!! Really put my mind at ease, as I didn't remember mine doing this before. Must be by design.

I wonder if inside the cylinder something moves in front of the opening to slow the fluid down at that point to keep it from slamming, or if it's just the change in leverage. Either way, the point at which yours loads up the motor is IDENTICAL to mine.

85Hokie, I'll buy you a better beer if you ever venture north up into PA :p :p

-Rich H.

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
Thanks SOO much for the vids and replies guys!!! Really put my mind at ease, as I didn't remember mine doing this before. Must be by design.

I wonder if inside the cylinder something moves in front of the opening to slow the fluid down at that point to keep it from slamming, or if it's just the change in leverage. Either way, the point at which yours loads up the motor is IDENTICAL to mine.

85Hokie, I'll buy you a better beer if you ever venture north up into PA :p :p

-Rich H.
It is that way by design. The leverage thing is what slows it down to keep it from slamming . Glad we all could help .