Bx2380 vertical exhaust

Matt2018bx

Equipment
Bx2380
Aug 25, 2018
Charlotte N.C.
Im a new member and was unable to find any information (I apologize if I missed it) so I thought I***8217;d start a thread. I***8217;m trying to add vertical exhaust (stack) to my bx2380. I have had the tractor for about 5 weeks and just did the 50hr service and noticed the air filter was incredible dirty and had to replace it. The exhaust exiting at the front of the tractor stirs up an incredible amount of dust (I***8217;m sure this well known) when work in dry conditions. So not only is the operator covered so is the tractor.

Is there an exhaust manifold from another model that will mate to the d902 engine that has a top mount flange instead of the side mount? I found an l2202 exhaust manifold that looks like it will work but don***8217;t know if the engine block (exhaust ports) are the same? I know I will have to cut a hole in the hood and move some of the air intake pipe around, but feel that***8217;s a small price to pay to keep some of the dust down. Iv looked for the dimensions of kubota exhaust manifold (mounting flange measurements) but can***8217;t find anything, so I have no way to cross reference parts from other engines to see if they will mate to the d902 block. Or would I be better off having someone make me a custom exhaust manifold? Thank in advance for the help!

Last edited:

Matt2018bx

Equipment
Bx2380
Aug 25, 2018
Charlotte N.C.
So I found an l2202 exhaust manifold on eBay for $55 shipped, so I got it. It looks very similar (as far as mounting) to the original but has a top mount exit off the back cylinder. I’ll let everyone know if it worked when I get it, fingers crossed.

beckmurph

Equipment
Kubota LX2610TLB/Woods finish mower/woods rotary cutter/
Aug 23, 2012
catlettsburg, ky
With a vertical exhaust, the exhaust will be coming back into your face.

Some owners just put an elbow on the current exhaust tip and direct the exhaust in another direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
I don't find that the exhaust on my 2380 creates much dust, but the mower sure does! In any case, I think it would be much easier to just add a vertical extension to the existing exhaust pipe. Any muffler shop should be able to fab something up pretty easily. Personally, I wouldn't go messing with the exhaust manifold, cutting holes in the hood, and rerouting air intake lines, etc. FWIW, I clean my air intake filter and radiator every time I finish mowing because of all the dust.

Matt2018bx

Equipment
Bx2380
Aug 25, 2018
Charlotte N.C.
All of our big tractors exhaust exit through a vertical pipe and I have never noticed them unless the wind was blowing just right. I think the bx has more blow back in the operator face because you are driving right through it. At least it’s more noticeable to me. A vertical pipe will also keep the spot off the tractor.

I have a loader on my bx so if I added a 90 degree pipe at the end of the factory exhaust, i wouldn’t be able to use the loader as it would come in contact with the pipe. Plus I think I would have to remove the brush guard?

Im hoping the new manifold will allow me to not have to bend anything. Just mount a pipe straight up through the hood, then add a slip over muffler at hood level (that I can remove to access the engine) and what ever length of pipe I need on top of the muffler.

uglyboy

Equipment
TG1860G
Mar 8, 2013
St. George, Ontario
That may have to be a slot, rather than a hole in the hood for the exhaust pipe to come thru... unless the hood doesn't open the same way on the newer BX's
as it does on my BX24.

Pete

Matt2018bx

Equipment
Bx2380
Aug 25, 2018
Charlotte N.C.
The hood hinges are up front so it lifts from the back and folds forward. I think if the exhaust pipe protrudes about 1/2 an inch above the hood it should still open fine. I will have to unclamp the muffler and top pipe if I want to open the hood is the only down fall.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I must be the odd duck out here, I never found a problem with the exaust blowing up stuff,, the mower deck that is a different story

Al2

Equipment
Kubota L4150 & L2900
Dec 16, 2015
Canada
Could you pipe the exhaust to the rear like many of the old fords? May need a couple of pieces of flex pipe but for me it would be a lot better than cutting the hood.

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
Another vote for a simple elbow. Removing the muffler to raise the hood means seldom checking oil/coolant levels or cleaning of the air filter. You know, simple things that should be done daily.... Just my opinion, feel free to disregard.

On Edit: There is plenty of room for an elbow, even with the loader mounted. I have considered adding one simply to eliminate the black stain on the loader arm.

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Another vote for a simple elbow. Removing the muffler to raise the hood means seldom checking oil/coolant levels or cleaning of the air filter. You know, simple things that should be done daily.... Just my opinion, feel free to disregard.

On Edit: There is plenty of room for an elbow, even with the loader mounted. I have considered adding one simply to eliminate the black stain on the loader arm.
That is WHY I did it ......that soot got to be a PITA after a while

Matt2018bx

Equipment
Bx2380
Aug 25, 2018
Charlotte N.C.
I feel I would have to direct the elbow straight up and that would have even more exhaust fumes in my face, as it would be exiting at shin height. I have not noticed that much dust from the mower, but pulling a disc harrow in low gear at around 3k rpm it was almost like having a fan pointed at the dirt (granted it hadn’t rained in 3 weeks) and then driving through it.

Rear exhaust was what I was really wanting (like our massy 135), but after looking underneath and removing the deck to check for clearance, there would have to be so many bends in the pipe I’m not sure it would be able to push the gas out properly.

The muffler will be a slip over with a clamp, so a screw driver and 30 seconds of time is all that will be needed to remove it.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I have a Deutz 6260 which has a factory exhaust coming up through the hood which hinges up towards the operators seat.

It has a piece coming off the exhaust manifold that goes up. It is only about 6" long. The exhaust pipe and muffler simply set over that flange. The diameter of the exhaust pipe is just a "tad" larger than the OD of the exhaust extension. Just lift up the muffler/pipe and open the hood. Works fine. Might be something you could adapt.

Matt2018bx

Equipment
Bx2380
Aug 25, 2018
Charlotte N.C.
I have a Deutz 6260 which has a factory exhaust coming up through the hood which hinges up towards the operators seat.

It has a piece coming off the exhaust manifold that goes up. It is only about 6" long. The exhaust pipe and muffler simply set over that flange. The diameter of the exhaust pipe is just a "tad" larger than the OD of the exhaust extension. Just lift up the muffler/pipe and open the hood. Works fine. Might be something you could adapt.
That sounds like it would work great. Do you have a picture by chance?

greenacresnorth

Equipment
L2501,BH77
Feb 18, 2018
Morganton,NC
Hey Matt, check out what I did to my L2501, we could probably do something like this to your BX? best of all the worlds, vertical exhaust and no hood mods. PM me and we can hook up and take some measurements and draft an idea. I work in Concord by the Race track but live out In Burke County.

Matt2018bx

Equipment
Bx2380
Aug 25, 2018
Charlotte N.C.
Hey Matt, check out what I did to my L2501, we could probably do something like this to your BX? best of all the worlds, vertical exhaust and no hood mods. PM me and we can hook up and take some measurements and draft an idea. I work in Concord by the Race track but live out In Burke County.
Thanks for the offer man that’s really cool of you. I already ordered the manifold with top mount discharge so I will more than likely just cut the hood. It will also keep me from having to 90 the exhaust pipe as it will just go straight up. That is of course as long as the manifold fits?

Matt2018bx

Equipment
Bx2380
Aug 25, 2018
Charlotte N.C.
I sent you a pm man, the manifold I ordered was the wrong one so I’m returning it. I’m back to the drawing board so I’d like to see how you did yours if you could send me some pictures? I’m thinking I might try to run it out the side (like yours) if I have enough room between the loader and hood.

sanjeevtyagi

Equipment
M4500DT
Mar 6, 2023
Oregon
For a vertical exhaust on Kubota at the bottom end which slides over the pipe from manifold i have major smoke leak , there is no rusted or broken metal its just that the pipes dont make a snug contact , i have a very very tight exhaust clamp on top , even then there is smoke coming out from the tiny slits of the metal
which is right at the seat level and throws a whole bunch of smoke at me, any ideas on how to seal this properly, would the exhaust wrap like fiberfix work or any other way that usually is the best way to seal the joint where the muffler slides over the pipe from manifold.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
sounds like wrong muffler for the exhaust system. muffler should just slide on pipe,with maybe .5- 1.0mm gap, clamp is to mechanically secure NOT reduce gap to stop leaks.
either buy correct muffler or use 'shimstock' to fill the gap between the two

Reactions: 1 user