BX2360 less than 100hrs, running rough/stalling

mattryan

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, 60'' deck, BXpanded sprayer, land pride 48'' tiller
Sep 15, 2013
Landenberg, Pa
Hello,
I have a newer Kubota BX2360. The other day, I ran the machine from about 1200-1330 using the FEL to move a few cords of wood. At 1330, I removed the FEL and began mowing the front yard. I completed the front yard and moved on to the back yard. The tractor became bogged down. It started to cough, like it couldn't get fuel.
The machine has 89 hours on it, so I am not happy about the problem.
I have changed both fuel filters and even bled the fuel system at the bleeder valve. The problem still persists.

Looking at the Kubota parts diagram, I noticed the the fuel pump below the machine has been changed by Kubota at some point for some reason. Does anyone know why they may have changed the fuel pump? Were they having issues with the original pump? When did they change the pump?

I run off road diesel in the machine. I dont see any reason that should cause an issue.

My next steps are to empty the fuel and try fresh diesel from a different station.....?

Any ideas on what I might be missing?

If the machine sits, it seems to run okay for a little while and then the problems start again. Within minutes. I also feel it may be worse when going up a slope, but I am not 100% sure on that just yet.

My neighbors all run John Deers, so this is becomming a little embarrasing....fyi.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I'd lean more toward bad fuel that a problem with the tractor.

Also, might need to bleed the system at the injectors.

mattryan

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 15, 2013
Landenberg, Pa
I don't know how quick the station turns the tank over. There are a few farmers around, but I don't know for sure how often the off-road diesel is refilled at the station. I only use about 20 or so gallons a year.

I have never added an additive or pre-filtered the fuel.

I think the next logical step for me is to drain my tank, about 3 gallons, refill with fresh fuel from a station that fuels many trucks, add the additive, change the front line filter again and go from there.

What additive should I use?

mattryan

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 15, 2013
Landenberg, Pa
Should the fuel filter closest to the engine be full? Mine never is. Even after bleeding the system.

mattryan

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 15, 2013
Landenberg, Pa
The filters on both mine stay full.

20 gallons a year is not much. Seems your rig is sitting a lot. Fuel treatment is needed here!
Yeah, I use it primarily to mow. We plan on putting in a good sized garden, but have not yet gotten to it. I have a landpride tiller for it as well.

I was hopeing to not have to bleed the system at the injectors. Shouldn't the bleed screw at the injector pump purge the air out?

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Yeah, I use it primarily to mow. We plan on putting in a good sized garden, but have not yet gotten to it. I have a landpride tiller for it as well.

I was hopeing to not have to bleed the system at the injectors. Shouldn't the bleed screw at the injector pump purge the air out?
Yes, as long as no air got between the pump and injectors.

I'm betting you have stuff growing in the tank and blocking fuel flow.

mattryan

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 15, 2013
Landenberg, Pa
Yes, as long as no air got between the pump and injectors.

I'm betting you have stuff growing in the tank and blocking fuel flow.
That is what my old man thinks. I was not impressed with the flow of fuel when I let it run out of the output side of the upper filter with the elctric fuel pump on... it was more of a drool then a spurt.

The machine is about a year and a half old with 89 hours. It has a pretty easy life.

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
You should have real good fuel flow after the pump. Since you don't I would check the flow from the tank ahead of the first filter. Could be you have a restriction in the tank. Just keep moving down the line with checking flow until you find the problem. It is possible your pump has gone bad. Does it click lick it should when working?

mattryan

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 15, 2013
Landenberg, Pa
You should have real good fuel flow after the pump. Since you don't I would check the flow from the tank ahead of the first filter. Could be you have a restriction in the tank. Just keep moving down the line with checking flow until you find the problem. It is possible your pump has gone bad. Does it click lick it should when working?
Thank you for the relpy. It does click. DO you think it could be algea or something? I wont get to tinker with it until wed. Fingers crossed that I will be able to get to the bottom of it with time to focus.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Why would you change from off road to on road diesel?? Do you like paying taxes. The only difference between the two is the dye and tax. Pretty much all genuine off road diesel is the same as on road in order to meet the newer low sulfur EPA mandates. One common problem that has developed in diesel equipment with plastic fuel tanks is algae problems. The plastic allows the algae to attach itself to it. Steel won't do that. When the algae grows enough it will plug filters. This is not as much a problem in a piece of equipment that is used a lot and the fuel doesn't sit long. the best thing to do is to go to a good auto parts store like NAPA, and get a fuel additive that is made to stop the Algae. Most of them will also remove water which is another problem from the plastic tanks. Good luck.

Rbros

Sep 15, 2013
Powhatan, VA
The filters on both mine stay full.

20 gallons a year is not much. Seems your rig is sitting a lot. Fuel treatment is needed here!
I've got a BX23 that's about 10 years old and about a thousand hours. I've just started having the same problem. Bogging down while mowing and appears worse when going up hill. I use the same fuel that I use in my truck. I've had no problems with my truck. I've changed my fuel filter and air filter and it still does it. Not sure which way to go now.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Think I would be leaning toward fuel too,, and you might want like you said to drain the tank and if you can blow it back from the filter back into the tank and look for stuff in the tank,, one guy in here found a June bug that was blocking the line,, just a thought,, and you do need to use some stabilizer cause as few hours as you run it the stuff will gunk up on you. And the air filter is a good place to check too MICE are a real PIA in finding places to build nests and store things, the OL Durango was running pretty bad and I pulled the filter cover only to find sunflower seeds cotton batting from GKW, and grass and all kinds of stuff I'm surprised the thing even ran.. Just a though

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
If your fuel sits, it can get bacterial fungus growth. Adding fuel treatment now won't help if that is clogging up the pickup or filter. I would go ahead and get new fuel filters, and pull the old ones. Look inside them and see what's in there. You may need to pull the tank and lines and clean them good (if you have growth). Once cleaned/cleared of junk, then add new fuel and a conditioner like Howe's, which discourages bacteria growth. The bacteria consumes the hydrocarbons in diesel (and it can happpen in gas, although not as common), and just happens if any moisture is present.
Have you put gasoline in it by accident recently? There have been quite a few posts the last couple of months with similar conditions, and every one of them had put some gasoline in by accident.
I don't think you have a problem with offroad diesel. Many folks use it, with no issues. I don't know about your area, but the only difference here is road tax and dye. The fuel is the same otherwise.
Moisture in the fuel is what allows the fungus to grow. That can happen in the ground tanks, in a fuel can, or in the machine. It happened in my truck, and I buy fuel from a high quality/high volume station.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
BotaDriver already asked but you never answered him so I'll ask again.
Have you checked or changed the air filter?
A clogged air filter will give you the same problems as your mentioning.;)