BX2350 Fuel tank removal

Pepsiboy

Equipment
BX2350D, FEL, MMM, Rear tiller
Oct 3, 2014
Shell Knob, Mo
I need some help in removing the fuel tank from my BX2350. I have been able to get everything out of the way EXCEPT for the control knob that controls how fast the 3PH and Mower deck are lowered. How does this knob come off ? Is it a press fit, threaded on. I have tried to remove it by turning it and nothing happens. I have tried to pry it off without success. :confused:

I tried to attach a picture from the Workshop Manual, but OTT says the file size is too large to attach.

Dave

Pepsiboy

Equipment
Oct 3, 2014
Shell Knob, Mo
It's held on by a roll pin. ;)

Wolfman,
Thanks for the fast reply. I checked all the way around the handle and didn't see a roll pin. If I find the roll pin and get it out, should the knob come off FAIRLY easy? ? I'll let you know what I find when I go back out there in a bit.

Thanks, again.

Dave

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Look at the back of the knob (use a small mirror if need be) if it has 2 visible slots then the pin is preinstalled on the shaft and they press the knob over it, and in that case just pull the knob off the roll pin like a keyway.

Last edited:

lakebota

Sep 23, 2013
nor cal
just went through this, where the shaft goes into the hst is a snap ring. Clean out the groove well with de-greaser (o ring safe) of choice and blow it out well with compressed air. An small internal snap ring plier with straight or slightly bent bits works best. After releasing the snap ring, leave it on shaft and simply unscrew the knob and it, the shaft and associated (attached) valve come out.

Pepsiboy

Equipment
Oct 3, 2014
Shell Knob, Mo
Wolfman & lakebota,

Thanks for the tips. I tried to drive the knob off the shaft with no success. I do not wish to remove the valve from the hydro unit. FINALLY I got the fuel tank off the tractor. What a PITA ! ! ! After removing the tank, I removed the fuel gauge sending unit. WOW ! ! ! This was the cause of the fuel filters getting plugged after 5 hours of running time. You would thing Kubota would do something to prevent it from RUSTING. Dealer said "We have NEVER had one of these fail or had to sell one before". (YEAH, RIGHT) :eek:
1504080001.jpg

1504080002.jpg

I'll post the results of repair when done. Just waiting for sending unit to get here.

Dave

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Dave, looks like you found that under the dock at the Lake of The Ozarks! Any idea of how it was able to rust so much? Need one made of nylon.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Yeah, modern units are usually made of stainless steed, brass, or plastics...

That's nasty. However, on the plus side, now you can flush and repaint the tank! :D

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Your efforts here hopefully will help me and possibly others as to why the frequent fuel filters pluging. That problem has about caused me to dump my BX on some unsuspecting buyer. Post your future experiences on what this effort may have helped. Also what does the inside of the tank look like? Is it deteriorating and sending crap down the fuel feed line? I've been suspecting bacteria in the fuel. We shall see. God luck.

Pepsiboy

Equipment
Oct 3, 2014
Shell Knob, Mo
Your efforts here hopefully will help me and possibly others as to why the frequent fuel filters pluging. That problem has about caused me to dump my BX on some unsuspecting buyer. Post your future experiences on what this effort may have helped. Also what does the inside of the tank look like? Is it deteriorating and sending crap down the fuel feed line? I've been suspecting bacteria in the fuel. We shall see. God luck.
cerlawson,

Up front, sorry no more pictures until I get a new camera. I have replaced the sending unit. I did use an epoxy paint on it BEFORE installing. Just waiting for it to dry. (Recommended to wait 24 hours.) I got the tank flushed out with little problems. Had about 1/3 cup of debris inside. Took 3 times to get a clear flush. After the $75 for the new sender and fuel filters I was out of cash for an upgrade to the filters. I'm planning on doing the upgrade that 4shorts did on his BX. The new unit appears to be aluminized steel, not zinc plated. Will have to wait and see how long it will last. I think PART of my problem is that the BX sits outside all the time. I don't have a shed large enough to get it inside. (Hopefully budget will permit a new one nest year. Shed, that is.) IMHO the unit SHOULD be made of either copper or brass instead of steel. If everything goes well, I should have it back together this afternoon. (Just in time to get mowing again.) Will post results when done.

Dave

Pepsiboy

Equipment
Oct 3, 2014
Shell Knob, Mo
Well, I got it done. All seems to be OK. Runs like the CHAMP it is. I will keep tabs on this repair and post if anything new.

Thanks to all for the tips and advice. :cool:

dave