BX23 and mud

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
Hello,

New to the forum and new to Kubotas. Just picked up a used BX23. I was just wondering, I noticed under the fenders it seemed like a lot of mechanisms are exposed. I don't plan on getting stuck or going through the mud a lot intentionally, but it's going to happen a limited amount. Am I likely to run into issues with things with much expose to mud?

Just to clarify, I'm not worried about getting stuck. If need be I have larger equipment to pull it out and I'm usually pretty careful anyway. My concern is purely from a mechanical, longevity, and maintenance perspective.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
They are are outdoor tractors, designed to run in a field or paddock, get a pressure wash onto it occasionally as with anything.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hello,

New to the forum and new to Kubotas. Just picked up a used BX23. I was just wondering, I noticed under the fenders it seemed like a lot of mechanisms are exposed. I don't plan on getting stuck or going through the mud a lot intentionally, but it's going to happen a limited amount. Am I likely to run into issues with things with much expose to mud?

Just to clarify, I'm not worried about getting stuck. If need be I have larger equipment to pull it out and I'm usually pretty careful anyway. My concern is purely from a mechanical, longevity, and maintenance perspective.

PA.

the mud is not a real problem - but there is a fan up under your machine that is verrry delicate ! The hst fan cost about 20 bucks new, but to replace it will be like changing your air filter via the muffler :D;):) and cost an outrageous amount!

Get cha a "skid" plate - they really are worth their weight in gold - several good ones out there - here is one:

http://bxpanded.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=57

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
PA.

the mud is not a real problem - but there is a fan up under your machine that is verrry delicate ! The hst fan cost about 20 bucks new, but to replace it will be like changing your air filter via the muffler :D;):) and cost an outrageous amount!

Get cha a "skid" plate - they really are worth their weight in gold - several good ones out there - here is one:

http://bxpanded.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=57
Thanks for the tip!

I hope to do a little work to it this weekend. I'd like to change the oil, grease it up, check fluids, etc.. I'd also like to take the mower off for the winter. At that point I'm going to be getting a better look underneath. I'll probably buy a skid plate or maybe I'll be able to make one.

Is breakage of that HST fan a pretty common issue? I always see it mentioned and I've really just begun to read about these. I'm watching a video right now where a guy is replacing one. He already had it exposed so I don't know how much stuff he had to take off to get to it. Seems kind of dumb to put a plastic part like that in such a difficult place to get to.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Thanks for the tip!

I hope to do a little work to it this weekend. I'd like to change the oil, grease it up, check fluids, etc.. I'd also like to take the mower off for the winter. At that point I'm going to be getting a better look underneath. I'll probably buy a skid plate or maybe I'll be able to make one.

Is breakage of that HST fan a pretty common issue? I always see it mentioned and I've really just begun to read about these. I'm watching a video right now where a guy is replacing one. He already had it exposed so I don't know how much stuff he had to take off to get to it. Seems kind of dumb to put a plastic part like that in such a difficult place to get to.
Actually the fan being plastic is a much better setup than if it were made of, say, 1/4" plate steel. If one gets into sticks, debris, etc, a plastic fan's blades will deflect and return to original shape (most of the time). Sometimes they just break but usually when that happens, the little BX is many times being used for something that it wasn't designed for. If it were a metal fan in there, a stick would bend the blades, then it becomes severely out of balance...affecting the bearing in the front of the HST among other things. Then if a blade were to break off, a metal blade-being heavier and harder, would carry a lot more force and potentially come through the floorboard. That thing is placed right under your....well you get the idea. You don't want it coming apart, that is for sure.

A very large majority of them never have a problem. We read about the "problem" as if it were the plague. It gets a bad rep because of it's inaccessibility and "ease" of replacement. The other issue is that noone seems to change the fuel filters often enough, and when changing the fuel filters, you're under the tractor and the fan is staring you in the face....if the fan is gone/broken/damaged, there is nothing to cool the transmission and fluid off, and the HST will die eventually if it's let go long enough. Either lift the engine (easiest) or pull the trans back a little (lot harder), those are really the only 2 ways to do it. I've done it without removing the engine, but it's just so much easier to just pull it, then it opens up the area really well so that it can be washed out.

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
Thanks for the response!

Can't wait to get that mower off and check things out. I'm stopping at a dealer after work to pick up some oil filters and hopefully the service records for this tractor. I want to change the oil Saturday and do some work on and with the tractor.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I stopped buying filters at the Kubota dealer, when I found that NAPA had them for a lot less. Then I went to eBay, and found a great deal on a case of 12 filters by Fleetguard. I paid $25 for the case of 12, including free shipping. I am now using full synthetic oil from Advance Auto, in place of the more expensive Mobil 1 oil. I change oil and filter every 50 hours. I also make sure to grease all the fittings on my BX22 when I do the oil changes. Cheap insurance, and I expect the tractor to last me my lifetime. Just don't know how long that is going to be... :D

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
Picked up two oil and two fuel filters today, along with the service records. Talked to the service guy who was really nice and willing to answer questions. I mentioned the mud question I had here. He said he's seen them completely caked with mud and still running. The HST fan was the only real soft spot he mentioned.

I C Bonz

Equipment
2014 BX25D, B2789
Feb 14, 2015
Emsdale,On. Canada
Thanks for the tip!

Is breakage of that HST fan a pretty common issue? I always see it mentioned and I've really just begun to read about these.
I have been in places i probably shoudn't have with my BX
I must have got lucky. Now after reading the numerous posts about the HST fan I am now paranoid about breaking it. For $150 im getting a skid plate.
Does the one from BXpanded take into account the little gaurd that came on mine?
Jake