BX1880 or BX2380?

StephenB

Equipment
Bx1880,MMM, loader.
May 24, 2017
Nova Scotia
Re: BC 1880 or 2380?

No I run out of traction long before power :D
I do not have a blower but a friend has one on his and has no problems with it. ( I have not used it so I cannot verify this 100% ) Probably the most taxing thing I have would be the bush hog and that worked well for me, That was an over grown hay field and I cut it no problem.
I guess the best way to say it would be I saved some money and have no regrets or needed more power for anything I have used it for :)
Yes it does snow removal but just with bucket and rear blade.

Ortimber

Sep 27, 2016
Oregon

I purchased a BX2380 recently, it is NOT overly powerful so no way I'd choose the BX1880 if I had it to do over. I paid $14,750 for a BX2380 with standard FEL and standard 54" MMM. Recommend you compare specs and capacities between the two, start with tires the BX1880 are smaller.

I agree with this. My 2370 seemed about right for power. Moving a bucket full of dirt with a heavy attachment on back eats horsepower rather quickly when going uphill.

sullikk01

Mar 15, 2018
NH

I may never need the extra PTO hp but I’d rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it down the line...although 2k is a good chunk of change to save.

Charlie5320

Equipment
BX2670
Jan 8, 2018
Springfield, IL.

I may never need the extra PTO hp but I’d rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it down the line...although 2k is a good chunk of change to save.
It's not like you're wasting any money. The 2380 will always be worth more money, and may be easier to sell if you ever decide to go bigger. Just look at what these tractors go for used, they hold their value pretty good as long as they are taken care of.

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada

Maybe a silly question but if the 2380 has bigger tires would not the size and additional weight provide a little more useable traction?

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon

Maybe a silly question but if the 2380 has bigger tires would not the size and additional weight provide a little more useable traction?
Not a silly question and yes, you will gain something in the way of useable traction. However, you will need a strain-gauge and slide rule to figure it out. The difference is going to be mighty small.

sullikk01

Mar 15, 2018
NH

Well I emailed the salesman last Friday pics/specs of my X530 with it's attachments to see what he'd give me towards a bx. He made it well known they do not like taking in garden tractors and when they do, generally give very little. I'm well aware I would do much better selling private than trading in but I'd like to do it all at the same time if he is willing to give a halfway fair price.

$1475 sounds very doable for a BX 2380 with standard FEL and 54" MMM as long asI get an OK return on the JD...Emailed Friday, still waiting to hear back.

deathtoblackberries

Equipment
B2920
Mar 25, 2013
Battle Ground, WA

Yes and this "you will run out of traction before you run out of power" is nonsense. I stalled my B2920 several times and it had WAY more grunt than this BX2380.

The BX2380 is slow pokey at anything below half throttle, mostly I'm 2000 to 3000 rpms where the B2920 got a lot of work done at less than half throttle, FEL, backhoe, much more lower throttle hydraulic grunt with its dual pumps vs the BX2380 single pump.

Mainah

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501HST, BLMX3164 blower, BB1266 box blade, BX42S chipper, Titan forks
Feb 26, 2018
Standish, Maine

I also have a JD X530 that I love for mowing and hauling carts, and rototilling. But the 47” snowblower is a bit much for it at times here in Maine.
My lot is less than 2 acres, 3/4 wooded, and I want to cut most of it to burn, and landscape those areas, some of which are very rocky and hilly.
I chose a L2501, with 66” bucket and 64” rear snowblower. I’ve used the snowblower twice on the last 2 nor’easter, one 15” really wet and heavy, the other 22” and a little less wet. I’m glad I didn’t get the B2650 I was debating on buying instead. Same horsepower basically, but the extra 1k in weight has already come in handy and the little extra width makes it feel a lot more stable. I really like the over 13” of ground clearance and the loader capacity. I have a 66” box blade, a 4” chipper, and pallet forks as well.
Of course I spent about 10k more than you’re talking about but I know I won’t be looking for a bigger tractor.
Some of the things I want to do couldn’t be done by a much smaller machine and I still might need to rent an excavator before I’m done, but that’s ok. I’d be spending a lot more on rentals if I’d gone smaller.
I’m not criticizing your choice, just giving you something to think about. I’m 60 and will never buy another tractor, but I see a lot of guys selling their BX and upgrading to a B or L after a few years and I didn’t want to be one of those guys. I actually put a Johnny Bucket Jr on my X530 the summer I bought it and used it to build a brick patio. I pretty much destroyed the bucket, the tractor is fine, but not enough weight to really do anything serious with. That’s why I didn’t even look at a BX. Too similar in size and weight for working in the woods and the B just seemed too top heavy by comparison.
I’m keeping the X530 btw. The L2501 is too heavy to mow the lawn with so that’s a consideration.
Once I check out my wife will sell any tractor I buy anyway but she’ll keep the X530 because she can operate it. Someone else will be clearing the snow for her though. Meanwhile I can comfortably do so many things with my tractor that I couldn’t do before.
Best of luck with whatever you choose. You can’t go wrong with Kubota.

sullikk01

Mar 15, 2018
NH

I also have a JD X530 that I love for mowing and hauling carts, and rototilling. But the 47” snowblower is a bit much for it at times here in Maine.
My lot is less than 2 acres, 3/4 wooded, and I want to cut most of it to burn, and landscape those areas, some of which are very rocky and hilly.
I chose a L2501, with 66” bucket and 64” rear snowblower. I’ve used the snowblower twice on the last 2 nor’easter, one 15” really wet and heavy, the other 22” and a little less wet. I’m glad I didn’t get the B2650 I was debating on buying instead. Same horsepower basically, but the extra 1k in weight has already come in handy and the little extra width makes it feel a lot more stable. I really like the over 13” of ground clearance and the loader capacity. I have a 66” box blade, a 4” chipper, and pallet forks as well.
Of course I spent about 10k more than you’re talking about but I know I won’t be looking for a bigger tractor.
Some of the things I want to do couldn’t be done by a much smaller machine and I still might need to rent an excavator before I’m done, but that’s ok. I’d be spending a lot more on rentals if I’d gone smaller.
I’m not criticizing your choice, just giving you something to think about. I’m 60 and will never buy another tractor, but I see a lot of guys selling their BX and upgrading to a B or L after a few years and I didn’t want to be one of those guys. I actually put a Johnny Bucket Jr on my X530 the summer I bought it and used it to build a brick patio. I pretty much destroyed the bucket, the tractor is fine, but not enough weight to really do anything serious with. That’s why I didn’t even look at a BX. Too similar in size and weight for working in the woods and the B just seemed too top heavy by comparison.
I’m keeping the X530 btw. The L2501 is too heavy to mow the lawn with so that’s a consideration.
Once I check out my wife will sell any tractor I buy anyway but she’ll keep the X530 because she can operate it. Someone else will be clearing the snow for her though. Meanwhile I can comfortably do so many things with my tractor that I couldn’t do before.
Best of luck with whatever you choose. You can’t go wrong with Kubota.
Love my x530 but can’t keep both, no storage for both. So although I’d love to go bigger, the primary use of what I get will be mowing, with bucket and snow removal next.

Sounds like a BX is best for mowing and the light-ish bucket work I’ll use it for. And I agree I love my x530.

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon

Yes and this "you will run out of traction before you run out of power" is nonsense. I stalled my B2920 several times and it had WAY more grunt than this BX2380.

The BX2380 is slow pokey at anything below half throttle, mostly I'm 2000 to 3000 rpms where the B2920 got a lot of work done at less than half throttle, FEL, backhoe, much more lower throttle hydraulic grunt with its dual pumps vs the BX2380 single pump.

Not nonsense at all. You have to understand the machine. For one thing, loader work should be done at a minimum of 2,500-2,600rpm. Mowing will be at 3,000rpm or higher. It's by design, that's where these engines make power. Don't have to like it but that's just the way it is. You can't run a BX like you would run a B on a given job. Then again, you can't run a B like you would run an MX.

A BX used correctly will absolutely, positively run out of traction before it runs out of power. Keep the RPM's where they should be and accept that Low Range is where most work will be done. That too, is by design.

sullikk01

Mar 15, 2018
NH

If I’m correct, the New 80 series BX have the sweet spot for FEL and mowed rpms show. Right on the tachometer. If true that’s good learning for a noob like me.

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon

If I’m correct, the New 80 series BX have the sweet spot for FEL and mowed rpms show. Right on the tachometer. If true that’s good learning for a noob like me.
Looks like you are correct. It would appear that they have 2,500 right smack-dab in the middle of the loader range.

Just for reference, we have two other loader tractors and we run each of the three differently but efficiently (no stalling).

2016 K BX1870 (18hp) = 2,500-2,700rpm
1979 JD 2440 (60hp) = 1,600-1,700rpm
1980 JD 4440 (130hp) = 1,300-1,400rpm

We will adjust that up or down 200rpm based on load and finesse required. Newer equipment, especially if a hydro, seems to require higher rpm's. Engines have most certainly changed in the last decade.

StephenB

Equipment
Bx1880,MMM, loader.
May 24, 2017
Nova Scotia

Not nonsense at all :rolleyes:

deathtoblackberries

Equipment
B2920
Mar 25, 2013
Battle Ground, WA

Not nonsense at all. You have to understand the machine. For one thing, loader work should be done at a minimum of 2,500-2,600rpm. Mowing will be at 3,000rpm or higher. It's by design, that's where these engines make power. Don't have to like it but that's just the way it is. You can't run a BX like you would run a B on a given job. Then again, you can't run a B like you would run an MX.

A BX used correctly will absolutely, positively run out of traction before it runs out of power. Keep the RPM's where they should be and accept that Low Range is where most work will be done. That too, is by design.
LOL its total nonsense. I was spreading fertilizer yesterday, the BX2380 was lugging down climbing the mild slopes in my yard I had to have the RPM's 2,500 or it felt like the little thing was struggling power wise. And that's with the FEL sitting in the garage, just the mower deck on and a tow behind spreader with 2 bags of weed and feed.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
"Not nonsense at all. You have to understand the machine. For one thing, loader work should be done at a minimum of 2,500-2,600rpm. Mowing will be at 3,000rpm or higher. It's by design, that's where these engines make power. Don't have to like it but that's just the way it is. You can't run a BX like you would run a B on a given job. Then again, you can't run a B like you would run an MX.

A BX used correctly will absolutely, positively run out of traction before it runs out of power. Keep the RPM's where they should be and accept that Low Range is where most work will be done. That too, is by design."

"LOL its total nonsense. I was spreading fertilizer yesterday, the BX2380 was lugging down climbing the mild slopes in my yard I had to have the RPM's 2,500 or it felt like the little thing was struggling power wise. And that's with the FEL sitting in the garage, just the mower deck on and a tow behind spreader with 2 bags of weed and feed."

Death to BB, Isn't your argument just supporting what Ramos stated? You have to have the RPM's up to get the power out of the engine. You need to increase the RPM to get the torque.

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon

Deathtoblackberries, your' BX is lugging down and you have stalled your B on several occasions. Both machines are telling you to grab some throttle.... :)

sullikk01

Mar 15, 2018
NH

B series is definitely too big for what I need. Although I could think of 10k things I could do with a B or bigger tractor, I need one machine to do it all. Mostly mowing and then clearing brush/snow removal.