BX1880 or BX2380?

sullikk01

Mar 15, 2018
NH
Searched around here and a few other forums and still have a couple questions...

Local Kubota dealer quoting me at $13,500 for new BX 1880 with FEL (about $450 more for 2 lever QC Bucket) and 54" mower deck. He told me the BX 2380 would be $2k more. Do these prices seem fair? I saw "a guy" on another site that claims he just got a BX2380 with standard FEL bucket and 54" mower for $12,500....Seems low to me but what do I know, that's why I'm here.

I went there 100% with a 2380 in mind. I like the bump in HP (but I know HP doesn't necessarily make a tractor more capable) and the inch or so higher clearance. I only have 1.5 acers, only about 1/3 of that, maybe less, is lawn. I currently have a Deere x530 garden tractor that does what I want but now I want to clear some of the saplings/brush/ivy in the back. I can think of many things I want to use a FEL for.

Besides the question of if the prices are decent, should I be looking at the 2380 or save $2k with the 1880? Putting something like a Rachetrake on either, will there be a noticeable difference? can the 1880 do what the 2380 do but just a little slower?

Thanks

Tractor Dell

Equipment
Kubota BX23S
Jun 13, 2017
Central PA
Re: BC 1880 or 2380?

I did a quick check on the "Build your Kubota" site and that is just about 12% off the MSRP. That is pretty much standard, so I think you are getting a decent deal. Normally 10% to 15% is considered average, at least from what I read.

As you mentioned, the difference between the 1800 and 2380 is basically just HP. Most of that is needed if you plan on using the PTO for 3-point implements. The capacity of the FEL will be the same, as that is determined by the hydraulics. You seem like you have done your research, so the biggest question is the difference in price. Again, 2K more looks decent on the Kubota web site.

I have a BX23S, which is basically the 2380. I use it in the woods a lot and the extra clearance is nice. Also, you may want to look at BXpanded Under Armor and Brotek wheel spacers (or similar items) if you have slopes and will be in the woods also. :)

sullikk01

Mar 15, 2018
NH

Thanks for the info...I plan on getting something like a Piranha teeth for the bucket and take out a bunch of brush/small saplings and vines/ivy. I’m leaning 2380 but trying to justify the extra $2k.

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon

The 'ol BX dilemma... Many have been there and I will share my perspective as a satisfied BX1870 owner.

The BX platform size can only benefit from XX number of ponies as a tractor, then it runs out of traction. The bigger ones have slightly more weight, and rubber on the ground. Does not really result in a measureable difference, though. The smallest BX will run a 54" deck and a rear PTO bagger on nasty slopes without breaking a sweat. The only thing it is short on is respect, marketing effort and a few bells and whistles. The guys who say 'you will never be disappointed in more power' are correct. However, in this case, it's usually based on emotion and not ability.

Are there 'real' reasons to move up to the 2380? Sure, and here are a few of them:
1. Creature comfort such as armrests, tilt wheel and a (possibly) more comfortable seat.
2. Slightly, SLIGHTLY, better ride due to larger tires and a scosh more clearance.
3. More PTO HP. Because of the traction issue, it's only relevant in 'stationary' applications such as running a genset.
4. Need a 60" MMM? Better get a 2380, it's not a factory offering for the 1880. Again, IMHO, a marketing thing that has nothing to do with power requirements.
5. Possibly better resale as a percentage of investment. Comes back to marketing and the mindset of 'more' always being better.

From a productivity standpoint, there just is not much difference between the two. Most likely, if the 1880 is too small for a given task, the 2380 is not up to it either. Our next tractor up is 61hp and weighs the same as three (at least) BX's. Frame size simply cannot be replaced by horsepower.

sullikk01

Mar 15, 2018
NH

The 'ol BX dilemma... Many have been there and I will share my perspective as a satisfied BX1870 owner.

The BX platform size can only benefit from XX number of ponies as a tractor, then it runs out of traction. The bigger ones have slightly more weight, and rubber on the ground. Does not really result in a measureable difference, though. The smallest BX will run a 54" deck and a rear PTO bagger on nasty slopes without breaking a sweat. The only thing it is short on is respect, marketing effort and a few bells and whistles. The guys who say 'you will never be disappointed in more power' are correct. However, in this case, it's usually based on emotion and not ability.

Are there 'real' reasons to move up to the 2380? Sure, and here are a few of them:
1. Creature comfort such as armrests, tilt wheel and a (possibly) more comfortable seat.
2. Slightly, SLIGHTLY, better ride due to larger tires and a scosh more clearance.
3. More PTO HP. Because of the traction issue, it's only relevant in 'stationary' applications such as running a genset.
4. Need a 60" MMM? Better get a 2380, it's not a factory offering for the 1880. Again, IMHO, a marketing thing that has nothing to do with power requirements.
5. Possibly better resale as a percentage of investment. Comes back to marketing and the mindset of 'more' always being better.

From a productivity standpoint, there just is not much difference between the two. Most likely, if the 1880 is too small for a given task, the 2380 is not up to it either. Our next tractor up is 61hp and weighs the same as three (at least) BX's. Frame size simply cannot be replaced by horsepower.
Excellent feedback! I will be running the 54” deck, MAYBE a bagger and snow blower in the future. I sat on both and aside from the lack of armrests, enjoyed the 1880 seat more. Salesman was definitely steering me towards the 1880. I know it’ll do everything I want to do in the next few years, just aren’t sure if the 2380 will do it faster/better... clearing out brush/small stumps will be it’s biggest chore I can think of right now. From what I’m learning here and on other sites, there’s really no difference in the FEL between the 2. I just don’t want to regret not getting a 2380 when I’m in there and thinking more HP would pull that stump that an 1880 can’t.

Pat T

Aug 7, 2017
Albion

I bought a 2380 last year with 54" deck and snow blower, glad I did. When I get into the deep snow I use all 23 HP. Hope you enjoy whatever you get!

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon

I bought a 2380 last year with 54" deck and snow blower, glad I did. When I get into the deep snow I use all 23 HP. Hope you enjoy whatever you get!
Not to be argumentative but, how do you know you used all 23 HP? Also, did you try it with 18 HP and notice a difference? :)

Pat T

Aug 7, 2017
Albion

Ramos

I've pulled it down below 2500 RPM after being set at 3300. Figured it was pretty much at the the end of the rope by then. No offense taken. Never considered the 1880.

Pat

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon

Pat, no doubt any practical difference between the two models will show during high-load PTO applications. I have mowed/bagged with both and neither one had more than a 150rpm drop. I have not run a snowblower with either one, so will defer to you on that.
Jon

Pat T

Aug 7, 2017
Albion

Jon

No worries. Any difference between the 1880 and 2380 can the be adjusted by the application of the HST pedal. Since I object to freezing to death I tend be more aggressive. My choice. Good luck to you and the OP.

Pat T

Aug 7, 2017
Albion

Jon

No worries. Any difference between the 1880 and 2380 can be adjusted by the application of the HST pedal. Since I object to freezing to death i to tend be more aggressive. My choice. Good luck to you and the OP.

sullikk01

Mar 15, 2018
NH

Fantastic feedback everyone. For reference I’m coming from a JD X530 garden tractor. It has done everything I’ve asked it to do and have zero regrets about it. I just have a new (to me) property that I want to clear brush/ivy/small trees out of. Also going to build a treehouse of some type and I absolutely think a bucket would help with bringing materials back there once cleared.

The 0% financing makes it very easy to go bigger than I truly need. But as I said before, if the difference in $$ truly makes sense, I’d rather go a little bigger than I need. Everything I’m reading says 1880....makes me think to go next size up ***129322;

jmf78

Equipment
BX23S W/ Factory Deluxe Cab, 60" MMM, 60" BX-2612 Snow Blade & BX-2816 Blower
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA

It sounds to me that the 1880 will do everything that you need/want. The 2380 will give you some creature comforts but not much towards improved performance toward what you say you want to accomplish. You may be able to use that $2k toward implements that will help you out with these and more projects. Aerator. Snow blower. Etc...

There are times that I'd wished that I'd gone with a larger tractor (pretty much everytime i see a B2650 Cab on here) but, in reality, it doesn't make sense for me. Yet... [emoji6].

As of now, I can accomplish everything I need and more with my little BX.

StephenB

Equipment
Bx1880,MMM, loader.
May 24, 2017
Nova Scotia

I was in the same place as you and finally decided to save a few dollars and went with the BX1880. I have no regrets at all and as far as power goes no problems there either, I run a 4ft bush hog in grass that was as high as the hood first go around. I have used the FEL to move dirt gravel, snow......etc.
You will run out of traction long before power. ( I have my rear tires loaded also and for the rare occasion a 300lb weight barrel I made for the 3 point )
Only regret is that I should have done it years ago :)

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon

I have been through two complete years now with a BX. Before that, it was a JD 425 for about 15 years. Although older, it would be very comparable to your X535. Loved that mower. Love my BX at least twice as much. With the loader on, make that 10X as much! Whatever BX you purchase, I'd say it is a safe bet that you will be one happy camper.

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio

sulli, seems like a fair price from your first post. I would question anyone claiming to purchase a new 2380/FEL/MMM for 12500. That would be a crazy deal. I paid 12800 for my 2380/FEL, and was very happy with that.

As to the 1880/2380 debate, I agree 100% with Ramos. With these little SCUT's, you will most often deplete traction way before running out of power. Really a matter if the 2380 upgrades are worth the extra $$ to you. From a work perspective, you won't see much difference.

Go with your best choice, and enjoy! You won't regret either one; fantastic, capable little machines. :)

jhschlak

Equipment
BX 1880
Apr 5, 2011
Sharon Center, Ohio

Another vote for the 1880. I’ve had one almost a year now and it is awesome! Have a FEL, 54” mower, and snowblower. I’m on 3 wooded acres and it is perfect in size.
As for snow, I live in lake effect snow country so we get the heavy snow more often than not. I was able to blast 10” no problem. I learned you have to go WOT or the chute clogs. It will bog down in the heavy stuff, but never will stall.
Jeff

sullikk01

Mar 15, 2018
NH

OK....I love the fact that I'm getting responses from actual owners of both machines. I posted the same question on another tractor site and have been getting similar answers.

The biggest replies that are beginning to sway me to saving $2k is that I'd run out of traction first, basically negating the higher HP anyways. I really don't see myself doing much ground stuff with the 3 pt hitch...for now

deathtoblackberries

Equipment
B2920
Mar 25, 2013
Battle Ground, WA

I purchased a BX2380 recently, it is NOT overly powerful so no way I'd choose the BX1880 if I had it to do over. I paid $14,750 for a BX2380 with standard FEL and standard 54" MMM. Recommend you compare specs and capacities between the two, start with tires the BX1880 are smaller.

Last edited:

Charlie5320

Equipment
BX2670
Jan 8, 2018
Springfield, IL.

OK....I love the fact that I'm getting responses from actual owners of both machines. I posted the same question on another tractor site and have been getting similar answers.

The biggest replies that are beginning to sway me to saving $2k is that I'd run out of traction first, basically negating the higher HP anyways. I really don't see myself doing much ground stuff with the 3 pt hitch...for now
5 PTO HP is a lot and has little to do with 3 pt hitch. The PTO HP has a lot to do with running the mower, snowblower, broom if ever needed. 5 HP for 2 grand is cheap.