BX1500 Hard start when cold

Flintshooter54

Equipment
BX1500
Dec 4, 2016
OH
Guys I am looking for suggestion's. When it is below 35 deg F this little guy is just plane hard to start. This is going on the 3rd winter and it just did it again last night. Warm up glow plugs for 10 to 15 seconds. Crank it over and I get about 3 or 4 turns of the motor and if it don't start, I am done. It is just like a dead battery. Click click click nothing. I keep it on a battery tender and it shows a green light fully charged. Here is what I have tried.

1) fully charge battery with charger.
2) New battery
3) Clean all ground wire connections
4) Clean all battery connections and reinstall
Nothing

Shove in a heated garage for couple hrs and it will fire right up. Never a problem all summer and fall. Started this 3 winters ago. Warm weather no issues, winter again feels like a dead battery Summer with same battery no issues. Now winter is coming and here we go again. Any ideas on what to check? new starter? Thoughts?
Thank you

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I suspect a glow plug issue.more will chime in on this I hope.
I agree about the glow plug possibility.

BUT one thing I noticed with my tractors in cold weather is if I give a quick start and the start does not happen, and I mean less than one revolution of the engine, I then let the engine set for a couple seconds, and then apply the glow plugs for may be 5 or 10 more seconds and then get an immediate start.

So wise to check the glow plug circuit before moving on to something else.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Guys I am looking for suggestion's. When it is below 35 deg F this little guy is just plane hard to start. This is going on the 3rd winter and it just did it again last night. Warm up glow plugs for 10 to 15 seconds. Crank it over and I get about 3 or 4 turns of the motor and if it don't start, I am done. It is just like a dead battery. Click click click nothing. I keep it on a battery tender and it shows a green light fully charged. Here is what I have tried.

1) fully charge battery with charger.
2) New battery
3) Clean all ground wire connections
4) Clean all battery connections and reinstall
Nothing

Shove in a heated garage for couple hrs and it will fire right up. Never a problem all summer and fall. Started this 3 winters ago. Warm weather no issues, winter again feels like a dead battery Summer with same battery no issues. Now winter is coming and here we go again. Any ideas on what to check? new starter? Thoughts?
Thank you
Likely one of the two glow plugs. Do you also give it about 1/2 throttle? Never had a diesel that would not start on about the first 1/2 turn of the crankshaft in 38 years of driving diesel cars and 17 years tractors with good glow plugs. Glow plugs on the Benz we kept for 26 years lasted near 20 years.

FreezinGator

Equipment
BX1500 LA181 FEL 48MMM Back blade
Jul 10, 2020
Upstate NY
I would think glow plugs also. I have a BX1500 and put a lower radiator hose heater on which helps starting in the winter in NY. I didn't have starting issues but just wanted a quicker start / warm up. Install wasn't hard and actually works better than I thought it would. I replaced the lower hose when I was in there as I have heard those heaters can make them brittle over time.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I don’t think bad glow plugs will stop the engine from cranking (spinning) due to colder weather.

I suggest you look at the starter or wiring to starter or safety switches. Have you ever tried to see if it spins by directly getting power to the starter solenoid terminal? This is a little dangerous so don’t do it if you’re not sure how.

You can also just have the starter tested at a starter repair or auto parts store if you take it off the tractor and take the starter into the shop.

Reactions: 2 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Im with Russell as I read it.

You said you have checked the cables ends and connections, but not the cables. I would start with a voltage drop test on the positive and negative battery cables to eliminate those before going further.

With a volt meter take one lead and put it on the positive battery post. Take the other lead and put it on the starter post where the battery cable attaches. Attempt to start and see if you have any voltage. Do the same on the ground side, one lead on the negative post and the other on a clean spot of the frame where cable attaches (don’t use painted surface).

If you measure over (.5) volts, you have a cable issue. Its a quick free test if you have a meter (if not a meter can be had cheap) and can save money by throwing parts at the machine.

Thunder Fish

Equipment
ZL2202DT-M
Oct 21, 2017
100 Mile House BC,Canada
I don’t think bad glow plugs will stop the engine from cranking (spinning) due to colder weather.

I suggest you look at the starter or wiring to starter or safety switches. Have you ever tried to see if it spins by directly getting power to the starter solenoid terminal? This is a little dangerous so don’t do it if you’re not sure how.

You can also just have the starter tested at a starter repair or auto parts store if you take it off the tractor and take the starter into the shop.

I agree with this,I obviously did not read it correctly the first time.

Flintshooter54

Equipment
BX1500
Dec 4, 2016
OH
I agree about the glow plug possibility.

BUT one thing I noticed with my tractors in cold weather is if I give a quick start and the start does not happen, and I mean less than one revolution of the engine, I then let the engine set for a couple seconds, and then apply the glow plugs for may be 5 or 10 more seconds and then get an immediate start.

So wise to check the glow plug circuit before moving on to something else.
Never thought about glow plugs as if they were drawing enough power to drain a fully changed battery in such a short time something would be melted. But this has me baffled. Thank you

Flintshooter54

Equipment
BX1500
Dec 4, 2016
OH

I have not tried going directly to the starter. I will try that next time to rule out some variables.
Thank you

Flintshooter54

Equipment
BX1500
Dec 4, 2016
OH
Im with Russell as I read it.

You said you have checked the cables ends and connections, but not the cables. I would start with a voltage drop test on the positive and negative battery cables to eliminate those before going further.

With a volt meter take one lead and put it on the positive battery post. Take the other lead and put it on the starter post where the battery cable attaches. Attempt to start and see if you have any voltage. Do the same on the ground side, one lead on the negative post and the other on a clean spot of the frame where cable attaches (don’t use painted surface).

If you measure over (.5) volts, you have a cable issue. Its a quick free test if you have a meter (if not a meter can be had cheap) and can save money by throwing parts at the machine.
Sounds like a good easy test to try. I do have a meter. I just was unfamiliar with how to test this guy. Its got to be something simple. Just tracking to down is a bugger!
Thank you

Flintshooter54

Equipment
BX1500
Dec 4, 2016
OH
Likely one of the two glow plugs. Do you also give it about 1/2 throttle? Never had a diesel that would not start on about the first 1/2 turn of the crankshaft in 38 years of driving diesel cars and 17 years tractors with good glow plugs. Glow plugs on the Benz we kept for 26 years lasted near 20 years.
I guess I give it about 1/3 throttle. But you can tell when it is going to happen as it turns over much slower. Which leads me to thinking something is dragging or lack of voltage getting to the starter.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I have not tried going directly to the starter. I will try that next time to rule out some variables.
Thank you
If it will only spin 3 or 4 revs on the battery before its "dead" you have a cranking problem. Probably spinning slow as well which makes actually getting it firing even harder. Do booster cables help?

Dan

Flintshooter54

Equipment
BX1500
Dec 4, 2016
OH
I would think glow plugs also. I have a BX1500 and put a lower radiator hose heater on which helps starting in the winter in NY. I didn't have starting issues but just wanted a quicker start / warm up. Install wasn't hard and actually works better than I thought it would. I replaced the lower hose when I was in there as I have heard those heaters can make them brittle over time.
Wow I looked in there and everything was so tiny I did not think one would fit. Do by chance do you know which one would fit or which you used? I still want to find the real cause of the problem, but this is something I looked into that could be used on occasion when really cold.
Thank you

Flintshooter54

Equipment
BX1500
Dec 4, 2016
OH
If it will only spin 3 or 4 revs on the battery before its "dead" you have a cranking problem. Probably spinning slow as well which makes actually getting it firing even harder. Do booster cables help?

Dan
Booster cables does not help. Makes no difference. So that makes me believe my supply voltage is good. I am loosing it between the battery and the starter or the started itself.
Thank you

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Booster cables does not help. Makes no difference. So that makes me believe my supply voltage is good. I am loosing it between the battery and the starter or the started itself.
Thank you
Seems likely. Booster to battery lug on starter will bypass a lot of that wiring. You can also jumper battery lug to solenoid to eliminate switch circuit. Make sure its out of gear!!!

Dan

Flintshooter54

Equipment
BX1500
Dec 4, 2016
OH
Seems likely. Booster to battery lug on starter will bypass a lot of that wiring. You can also jumper battery lug to solenoid to eliminate switch circuit. Make sure its out of gear!!!

Dan
Thank you Dan I will give it a shot when I get a chance. Right now it warmed up so it starts like normal. Crazy thing.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Right now it warmed up so it starts like normal. Crazy thing.
Does the machine still have "summer fuel" in it?
It is my understanding that winter diesel has some kind of additives to prevent jelling and ease starting.

You may find that adding some "Power Service" (white bottle for winter use) into the fuel will help. It will have to be stirred into the fuel before it is effective. Driving over rough ground is a good way to stir it in.

"Power Service" diesel additive is available at WallyMart.

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
I don’t think no it’s the fuel it would be turning over still and also running poorly. Bypassing your wires with the jumper as mentioned is the best way to eliminate and pinpoint if that the issue. Plus its free