BX1500 Hard start when cold

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I understood the original problem to be "hard to start" when cold..... now it is "not turning over" when cold?
The English language is so imprecise - sometimes you have to parse carefully.

Crank it over and I get about 3 or 4 turns of the motor and if it don't start, I am done. It is just like a dead battery. Click click click nothing.

Dan

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
just because a battery charger says "fully charged" don't necessarily mean that the battery is any good. Put your digital volt meter on the battery, crank it over when it's cold and hard to start and see what your voltage is. It wouldn't surprise me if the battery voltage is dropping off, based on the original symptoms.

could also be connection issues, ground(s) and a host of other stuff too

Reactions: 1 users

Flintshooter54

Equipment
BX1500
Dec 4, 2016
OH
I understood the original problem to be "hard to start" when cold..... now it is "not turning over" when cold?
Bruce, Yes hard to start when cold. Like a dead battery. Slow crank and "Click click click" Yet battery is fully charged. Even replaced with new battery and no change. Once started runs like a champ. So I dont believe it is fuel.
Thank you for your thoughts though.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Crank it over and I get about 3 or 4 turns of the motor and if it don't start, I am done. It is just like a dead battery. Click click click nothing.
Well then.... The troubleshooting sequence is pretty simple.
Here is the troubleshooting process I would use to pinpoint the issue:

Clip a voltmeter across the battery when trying to crank.... if it drops below about 8v, battery is bad.
IMPORTANT: meter must be on battery-posts... NOT the connectors. (lest a bad connection at the battery may fool you)

If voltage across battery does NOT drop... then clip meter leads across starter.
  • negative on Starter case
  • positive on BIG wire on starter
Try cranking again... if drops below ~8v, then you have bad connections.

If voltage across starter remains above 8v and STILL does not crank... suspect starter.

NOTE: To isolate bad connections, use VOLTAGE DROP measurements with the meter. This will quickly pinpoint the poor connection.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

David H

Equipment
L185
Oct 31, 2016
Auburn Hills, MI
If
Guys I am looking for suggestion's. When it is below 35 deg F this little guy is just plane hard to start. This is going on the 3rd winter and it just did it again last night. Warm up glow plugs for 10 to 15 seconds. Crank it over and I get about 3 or 4 turns of the motor and if it don't start, I am done. It is just like a dead battery. Click click click nothing. I keep it on a battery tender and it shows a green light fully charged. Here is what I have tried.

1) fully charge battery with charger.
2) New battery
3) Clean all ground wire connections
4) Clean all battery connections and reinstall
Nothing

Shove in a heated garage for couple hrs and it will fire right up. Never a problem all summer and fall. Started this 3 winters ago. Warm weather no issues, winter again feels like a dead battery Summer with same battery no issues. Now winter is coming and here we go again. Any ideas on what to check? new starter? Thoughts?
Thank you
If Your battery checks out OK I would try longer on the glow plugs Mine is also hard starting and I glow for 60 seconds.
Mine is very old L185 1978.
The newer ones have less compression and start easily.
I also have a compression release and pull that to circulate the oil before any try to start.
Winter is really tough on mine.
David

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
You've tried a brand new fully charged battery and get the same result. Bad or good, glow plugs for 10-15 seconds will NOT drain down a good battery to the point of 'click,click,zip'.

Simple ,easy test.
With KEY OFF, CAREFULLY run a jumper cable from the starter motor stud to the battery +12 post. yes they'll be a few sparks so hold firmly. It should spin the starter until the cows come home.
If it turns over the starter fine , then replace the starter solenoid. If it doesn't, probably a 'bad' starter.

I have no idea how old your machine is, how many starts it's had, just been going on for at least 3 winters. Have to assume you don't use it much, cause it should have been fixed 3 winters ago.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
What oil are you running? 15w40 will result in SIGNIFICANTLY lower cranking speeds vs. 10w30. Like if 100 rpm on 15w40, would be 160 rpm on 10w30.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Battery cable connections or bad cables
Worn out / Damaged starter