Buying Mod'ed Tractors

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
Do you ever have a little warning bell go off in your head when you look to buy something like a tractor that has undergone some DIY mods??

Thinking of smaller tractors that people have cut into wiring harnesses to add lights, or remove safety switches or drilled ROP's to mount stuff on, or drilled frame to attach things like acc. posts to hold chainsaws or shovels, or drilled bucket to attach hooks into non-reinforced metal edges, etc....

What kinda mod's sit OK with you?
what kinda mod's get the little hairs on the back of your neck tingling?

I know around here one dealer charges for new ROP on trade ins if original was drilled as they say its a liability issue from their insurance supplier.

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
I think the replace the ROPS thing is required by Kubota. Tractors, like anything mechanical depends. Are the mods done well and look professional? Is the mod done to your standards or even higher? Do you get a good vibe from the seller?

Always, ALWAYS! Pay attention to your spidy senses - that’s why we have them apparently!

Reactions: 1 user

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
It would depend on the quality of work. Just like looking at this forum....some people come up with nicer ways than I thought of to do things like add lights, hold tools, etc.
So some mods add to the value. As long as it's not hacked up.

XSpecBx

Equipment
B2601, Artillian Pallet Forks, Woodmaxx MX-8600, LP BB1248
Apr 3, 2022
Ledyard, CT
Would depend on what was done. Drilling into a bucket for hooks or a cutting edge doesn’t scare me because a bucket can be repaired or replaced pretty easily. Wiring would depend on what was done and the quality of the work. Again, that can be repaired pretty easily so that wouldn’t scare me much as long as it was basic wiring.

Drilling into ROPS would be a red flag and cause me to start looking at other stuff further. Tapping into the hydraulics in non-oem type ways would also throw up a flag.

Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have seen ROPs that has had a hole drilled in them, and it wouldn't worry me. If it worried me enough, I would weld the hole shut grind and sand the spot, and repaint the ROPs. What if someone were to weld a bracket onto the ROPs, would that cause an issue? I would worry more about someone that has chopped up the wiring harness and modified it because that can cause your tractor to go up in smoke. Poor maintenance on the tractor is more detrimental to the tractor that a 1/2" hole in the ROPs in my opinion.

Reactions: 3 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
For talented guys who actually USE their tractors doing Real Work…. it’s common to see modifications to make them better tools. The decision to make is…like ItBeMine suggests…. make your decision based upon the quality of the modifications…and if those add value or detract from value…and buy it for an adjusted/appropriate amount .

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
First sight of a Scotchlock connector and my offer drops. Anything driven by pistons (and some turbines) I can fix. What that effort is worth is another thing.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
It would also depend on the (prospective) buyer's abilities to judge the work done, and correct what needs correcting. For some, it's fine. For others, they should move on to the next option.
I have abilities, but I don't have time or the patience. In general, I do not buy modded anything. Automobiles, tractors, atv's, firearms, tools. I don't have the time to buy another person's problems.

One exception- my CJ7. The previous owner had converted it to fuel injection (Howell), which was well done and a huge improvement.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
If my father in law made the mod I would not question it.
Anybody else would raise a yellow flag.
A hole in the ROPS and I would walk away assuming some other safety system may be compromised.

Then again, my flasher unit died years ago. The amber lights now stay ON when the headlights are turned on. No red running light. All wires still intact, capped, and taped if the next owner wants to take the tank off and get a new flasher.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
If my father in law made the mod I would not question it.
Anybody else would raise a yellow flag.
A hole in the ROPS and I would walk away assuming some other safety system may be compromised.

Then again, my flasher unit died years ago. The amber lights now stay ON when the headlights are turned on. No red running light. All wires still intact, capped, and taped if the next owner wants to take the tank off and get a new flasher.
In line flashers are inexpensive…. you can install it at the fuse box or in-line to the lamp you wish to flash: https://www.amazon.com/Dewhel-0-02A...olt+turn+signal+flasher&qid=1669215976&sr=8-5

Get your FIL to install it for you. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Cutting into the wiring harness is an automatic no for me. High amp draw accessories without the use of a relay is another red flag.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
All the mods I've done on my BX23S can be undone and back to factory specs, in less than a day, and that includes the grab hooks on the bucket
OK, you'll have to repaint a few scrapes ,here and there. After 940+ hrs of use some of the paint's come off. does that count as a 'mod' ??

Shekkie

Equipment
LX2610, Virnig 60" Grapple, WoodMaxx TM-86H, Woods 60" BB/72”RB
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio
I look at it like this……if the mods are smart and done in a quality fashion then I am typically unbothered. Hacked up wiring and mods just slapped together and/or sloppy give me doubts as to how the owner used and maintained the tractor. Either you care or you don’t and a lack of caring impacts what I’m willing to spend since I know it will cost me over time.

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
I put a brodie knob on my steering wheel, but I’m not too concerned. I plan to hang onto this thing for a bit…

Bugzilla46310

Equipment
2022 BX2680 198? AC 916H
May 22, 2022
Demotte, IN
I put a brodie knob on my steering wheel, but I’m not too concerned. I plan to hang onto this thing for a bit…
You totally ruined the value of your tractor and any chance of resale. Now if you added a suicide knob, necker knob, granny knob, knuckle buster or wheel spinner you probably would have increased both the tractor’s value and resale value!:ROFLMAO: