Bump from back right tire

L4300DT

Equipment
L4300DT
Feb 1, 2015
Canada
Hi all! First post. I have an L4300 DT (yr 2000 I believe) with ag tires and since I did some woods work last spring, I have noticed a periodic dip in the back right as I dive along a smooth road or driveway. It's small enough that I don't notice if I'm bumping along a field or something, but it's definitely a little dip at the same point on the wheel. I can't see anything at all when I look at the place on the tire, and it's not a flat spot from sitting, because is doesn't go away even if I run it a while. I jacked up the wheel and spun it by hand and it's spins as smooth as butter with not grinding or "clunk". Someone suggested I may have hit a stump and broken some of the internal structure of the tire, so it's permanently a little softer there. Tires are loaded if that makes a difference.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Brent

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you want to make sure it's the tire and not anything else, swap sides and see if the bump follows the tire.
I've also heard of getting a bump or knock because of a loose lug nut.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
If you want to make sure it's the tire and not anything else, swap sides and see if the bump follows the tire.
I've also heard of getting a bump or knock because of a loose lug nut.

I would check all the lugs too, the clunk may be the rim moving a bit.
Run on a hard surface and have someone walk next to you and see if you can make the noise and then have that person mark @ 6 oclock - see if you can figure out where on the tire is could be.

L4300DT

Equipment
L4300DT
Feb 1, 2015
Canada
Thanks all, I should have said that I actually did check the wheel nuts, but only with a standard wrench and I couldn't budge anything. I can check with a breaking bar and then set with a torque wrench, but I'm pretty sure nothing is that loose.
Thanks again,

B

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Over tightening of a lug nut can cause the hole to wallow out as well. It will actually stretch the threads and cause it to loosen up a smidgen. Usually caused by some meat head using an impact with out a torque stick and hammering on it till it doesn't move any more. :mad: Then the nut will act tight, can't budge it with a breaker bar when trying to tighten it. And the best of luck to ya getting it back off :rolleyes: Had to cut many studs off with a die grinder and cutting wheel because of it. And have wanted to choke the living hell out of the mechanic if I'm out some where and have change a flat that someones done that too. Then it's a flogging hammer and big chisel :mad:

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Not unusual, almost every farm tractor I've ever operated, and that's a bunch, did it to some extent. As long as everything is tight don't worry over it. The un-loaded tires on my M4500 do it, the tires on all our old Farmall's back home did it (loaded). Farm radials tend not to.

L4300DT

Equipment
L4300DT
Feb 1, 2015
Canada
Sounds good all, I think I'll just not sweat it once I check that everything's tight. But just tight enough!

B

tiredguy

Equipment
B3030 HSTC,B2781 51" front mounted snowblower,60" MMM
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
You may or may not have a tire separating coming apart that could be the
cause of it if it didn't do it to begin with, or you might have a bent rim too
just be sure to look at it from the back while it's turning too. I'd keep an eye
on it after making sure nothings loose and if it continues to get worse sooner or later whatever is wrong will be plain to see.
Nearly every farm tire non radial will have some run out to some extent that's usually cause by the nylon most are compounded with. That you knew as you
said it's not flat spotted from sitting so not your first rodeo trying to figure it
out. I've got one R4 on the back of my tractor that lopes from being out of round that fortunately I don't do much road travel on..drives me crazy.
Look at everything else too to be sure nothings bent including the axle tractors are tough but not indestructible.
Al

L4300DT

Equipment
L4300DT
Feb 1, 2015
Canada
Thanks Tiredguy. I'll get my wife to drive it and walk behind it. I did get the wheel jacked up off the ground and spun it by hand and looked at the axle and seals etc, and didn't see anything but smooth spinning, and there are no leaks or anything. I'm going to check all the wheel nuts on every part again and see how it looks and report back.

thanks!
B

L4300DT

Equipment
L4300DT
Feb 1, 2015
Canada
Common. They aren't really made for highways.
I'm not on the roads very often either, but really I don't care about the bump from a comfort perspective. I just care if it might mean something bigger that I would be unwise to ignore. The old "ounce of prevention........"

B