Bucket Level Indicator?

weldguy

Equipment
BX2200
Apr 13, 2014
Columbus, Ohio
Many years ago, when I purchased a front end loader for my BX 2200, I remember there was a sticker on the top edge of the bucket. It reminded me of a bar code - a series of black lines. I think I pealed it off, thinking it was a bar code. Over the years, I've noticed the same type sticker on other units, some even being applied to a little bracket off the top of the bucket.
Now I wonder if it was some type of indicator pattern to help the operator visualize when the bucket is level. Could that be the purpose???

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
This guy?

bucket hooks.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
In theory: When the flat part looks level, your bucket is level. You don't need the sticker.
Flopping around in the operators seat, it's a poor idea. But, it's better than nothing.

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
It is about as worthless as t*ts on a boar hog!
Now Dusty it's not QUITE that worthless! I prefer to get a feel for the piece of equipment and how the blade or bucket cuts and focus on that to get better developing those skills. If one uses any indicator they will never be good at grading without it.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
It is about as worthless as t*ts on a boar hog!
Well, actually it is better than nothing - once you get use to looking at it, it works well.

Reactions: 2 users

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
Well, actually it is better than nothing - once you get use to looking at it, it works well.
The plate, yes. The little sticker that tells you what the plate is, not so much.

I use the plate visual way more than the little rod and tube deal.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The plate, yes. The little sticker that tells you what the plate is, not so much.

I use the plate visual way more than the little rod and tube deal.
True - the sticker is worthless, maybe if I taped a C-note there I would look at the sticker more!!!

Funny we call this a level indicator - what is level, to what???? IF anything we should call it a bottom bucket parallel indicator!

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
True - the sticker is worthless, maybe if I taped a C-note there I would look at the sticker more!!!

Funny we call this a level indicator - what is level, to what???? IF anything we should call it a bottom bucket parallel indicator!

And isn’t the bottom of the bucket the only angle we care about? Whether it’s using the “level indicator” on the top of the bucket, or simply the top edge of the bucket itself, we’re just looking for a reference that shows us what we can’t see from the seat. The angle of the bottom of the bucket. It ain’t rocket surgery!

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
If you have good eyes. Glue a small RV style level to the top or back. It'll work if you can see it, until you knock it off.
Screenshot_20231026_123558_Chrome.jpg

Of course, the vibration of the tractor may turn the bubble into many bubbles.

Last edited:

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
If one uses any indicator they will never be good at grading without it.
Guilty as charged and I ain’t ashamed of it. If I used the bucket all day every day for a while I probably wouldn’t use it, but as much as I use the grapple and forks the bucket doesn’t get a ton of hours so I’ll keep using the training wheels provided by the little bent rod thingy probably forever. Never claimed to be a pro at much of anything.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
For me I don’t find much benefit when the bucket is at the ground…to me it’s helpful as a reference / guage at a glance when I have a heaped bucket full and the bucket and the loader is raised…in the latter case it helps me not spill over front or the back of bucket so long as I don’t get to happy with the stick when I bring the loader down…the it’s a nice reference to keep level (not spill). And even in the lower position when bucket on ground and I don’t think helpful, I would not trade it for any or all of the politicians…level indicator still better than them even when I think it is helpless…at least it still working for me and not working against me.. 🤪 🥃

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Back in the 70's and 80's, we (me and my fellow workman) operated various tractors with loaders. We never needed a level indicator because we were operating the machines as a profession. Every single workday. We just knew by how long we held the pressure on the stick or sticks, from lock to level. (Most units had 2 sticks, one for the loader arms, and one for the bucket). And each machine was different. A Massey, Ford, Case or Kubota loader bucket travel time varied. Back then, I was a stud on a Massey we had and the B7100. I'm not anymore.
Anyway, I'm not ashamed to say that I love my stick style level indicator on my LX. Because I don't use my LX everyday and I'm not 'programmed' with thousands of hours experience on it. And when young these things are learned faster.

Bottom line; Use or get a proper level indicator if you want one. You don't have to impress anyone but yourself.... and maybe your spouse.

Brazos

Equipment
L2501DT
Jul 12, 2016
Texas
Can you buy a bucket level aftermarket? I have a L2501. I honestly don’t need one as I have used it enough. I have never used a bucket leveler and if cheap enough I would install one just to see how they work. I have used various front end loaders over the years and none of them ever had bucket level indicator.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Can you buy a bucket level aftermarket? I have a L2501. I honestly don’t need one as I have used it enough. I have never used a bucket leveler and if cheap enough I would install one just to see how they work. I have used various front end loaders over the years and none of them ever had bucket level indicator.
It is a Kubota whole goods option (L2130, $90) you can buy for your LA525 loader. It's nothing more than a metal rod affixed to the rod end on the bucket cylinder. Item #10/20 in this parts diagram. IMO a handy little item especially when using pallet forks. Or fab your own

Dan

Screenshot_20231027_072935_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Brazos

Equipment
L2501DT
Jul 12, 2016
Texas
Thanks TheOldHokie. For $90 I will pass. I am totally confident in my bucket skills. Just thought it would be interesting to play with. I guess I should have figured it would be $90+ and not worth it for me. At the end of the day the real answer is to just learn and get the feel of using a front end loader. Keep at it and pretty soon you will have a full bucket.

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
My tractor had a bar gauge like in post #17.... It was a big help learning where to know when the bucket was level.. After I installed a tooth bar I put a ring of electricians tape on the tattle tail bar to make it easy to adjust where the tooth bar worked best.. Also put a tape mark on the bar for my pallet forks as that was a different setting..

The biggest thing seemed to be putting in the seat time to become very familiar with settings.. Just sayin... I have observed a number of ...weekend operators.. that struggled to learn to operate well..

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
My tractor had a bar gauge like in post #17.... It was a big help learning where to know when the bucket was level.. After I installed a tooth bar I put a ring of electricians tape on the tattle tail bar to make it easy to adjust where the tooth bar worked best.. Also put a tape mark on the bar for my pallet forks as that was a different setting..

The biggest thing seemed to be putting in the seat time to become very familiar with settings.. Just sayin... I have observed a number of ...weekend operators.. that struggled to learn or never did learn to operate well..