Bucket hook installation tips

TGKY

Equipment
L4701DT
May 24, 2018
US
I have ordered a set of bucket hooks.
many tips on where and how to install them.
i have an L4701
I’m assuming just use a quality drill bit and it’ll punch through easy enough is that right?
Also I am considering just mounting one hook in the middle of the bucket rather than 2- on either side. It seems like I could keep a more even pull. What’s the advantage of 2?

thanks in advance

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Start with a small hole after you mark the location with a pointed object and hit it with a hammer. Then start small, and go up gradually. Goes faster than trying to push through with one large bit. Two hooks give you more choices of where and how you want to lift. On a bulky item, you might want to use 2 chains. I would also have one open hook in the middle. Make sure that where you mount the hooks it is well supported from the bracing of the bucket. Personally, I prefer welded on hooks, because you have more choices where you will place them.

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
I believe in-line with lift arms places the stresses in the correct places on the FEL. Less chance to tweak your bucket and cross tube also. I’m just regurgitating previous posts as I don’t have hooks (yet). I have the HD bucket so I’m probably going to have hooks welded on. Someone here even put hooks inside bucket in case chain broke it will (hopefully) be contained inside bucket.

good luck and post picks. Welcome to OTT.

Reactions: 2 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
i have an L4701
I’m assuming just use a quality drill bit and it’ll punch through easy enough is that right?
Also I am considering just mounting one hook in the middle of the bucket rather than 2- on either side. It seems like I could keep a more even pull. What’s the advantage of 2?

thanks in advance
Use 2 hooks in line with your lift arms. The center is the weakest part of the bucket. One good method is to get a piece of angle iron the width of your bucket and weld hooks to the iron. Then drill and install the iron to the top of your bucket with grade 8 bolts. This strengthens your bucket edge and avoids welding mistakes on your bucket.

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
i have an L4701

thanks in advance
I just ordered three weld one hooks for an LA525 One will go in in the middle and two out by the ends. I have that arrangement on my other loader and it works well. There are jobs where you want two and jobs where you just want one.

Sharp HSS bit, proper speed, and cutting oil if you are drilling. Holes that size will take some work.

Dan

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
My thought is ideally 3 hooks, but one works better than 2. On my first tractor I had a 2 hooks, one on each side. I liked this arrangement when using 2 straps to lift things like logs (I didn't have forks). But most use was for pulling something where I only used one strap or chain and I would have preferred having a center hook for that. On my next tractor I just had a single hook welded on which I preferred. For my current tractor I'll bolt on a single hook in the middle whenever my bucket arrives from EA.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
i have an L4701

thanks in advance
Here is a link to Ken installing a set of bolt on hooks.

Simple process, I used a step bit and it made easy work of the job.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
My thought is ideally 3 hooks, but one works better than 2. On my first tractor I had a 2 hooks, one on each side. I liked this arrangement when using 2 straps to lift things like logs (I didn't have forks). But most use was for pulling something where I only used one strap or chain and I would have preferred having a center hook for that. On my next tractor I just had a single hook welded on which I preferred. For my current tractor I'll bolt on a single hook in the middle whenever my bucket arrives from EA.
It’s still stronger to use 2 hooks at the lift arms and hook to both with the chain draped in the center of the bucket. The center of the bucket is the weakest point and I’ve seen a lot of bent buckets with central hooks.

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
I’m a vote for 3 hooks. Myself I’m also a fan of welded. My last tractor had 2 chain hooks on the sides and a round eye in the middle I could use a shackle or ropes etc with. My new bucket only has the two chain hook on the outsides and I’ve already found myself missing the centre eye. Short chain from hook to hook then chain in the middle works but I’ll be adding another eye hook or maybe an excavator style locking hook. Welded on.
Use 2 hooks in line with your lift arms. The center is the weakest part of the bucket. One good method is to get a piece of angle iron the width of your bucket and weld hooks to the iron. Then drill and install the iron to the top of your bucket with grade 8 bolts. This strengthens your bucket edge and avoids welding mistakes on your bucket.
This to me is the best method even if your welding. Nothing better then reinforcing it especially if your going to be using it to its fullest. You also have to know the limitation of your tractor and equipment.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
It’s still stronger to use 2 hooks at the lift arms and hook to both with the chain draped in the center of the bucket. The center of the bucket is the weakest point and I’ve seen a lot of bent buckets with central hooks.
I agree connecting separately and pulling from two hooks equally is the stronger method (in practice it's not always as practical). But pulling, and even more so lifting, unequally is the more likely way to torque your loader. It just depends on how you use your bucket hook(s).
Years back I needed to move and stack quite a number of 11' logs and I did not have pallet forks all I had was my B7500 with a bucket that had hooks, one on each side. I laid two straps under the middle area of each log about 4' apart then up to each hook which worked well, much better than trying to balance the load using one strap in the center. But other than that kind of work, having to connect up 2 straps or chains just to tug something is more cumbersome and time consuming. So the tendency is to just hook to one and if you only have hooks on each side you're tugging from only one side of the loader.
When I'm working on my tractor and come across an invasive like rose and olive I slip a strap around the base, threading one end through the loop and connect to a hook on the center of my bucket and pull it out roots and all, which sometimes requires a little gentle yanking. In my experience it's easier on the loader to pull from the center than from the side. My preference is 3 hooks, if not one in the middle is generally more useful than one on each end.

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I agree connecting separately and pulling from two hooks equally is the stronger method (in practice it's not always as practical). But pulling, and even more so lifting, unequally is the more likely way to torque your loader. It just depends on how you use your bucket hook(s).
Years back I needed to move and stack quite a number of 11' logs and I did not have pallet forks all I had was my B7500 with a bucket that had hooks, one on each side. I laid two straps under the middle area of each log about 4' apart then up to each hook which worked well, much better than trying to balance the load using one strap in the center. But other than that kind of work, having to connect up 2 straps or chains just to tug something is more cumbersome and time consuming. So the tendency is to just hook to one and if you only have hooks on each side you're tugging from only one side of the loader.
When I'm working on my tractor and come across an invasive like rose and olive I slip a strap around the base, threading one end through the loop and connect to a hook on the center of my bucket and pull it out roots and all, which sometimes requires a little gentle yanking. In my experience it's easier on the loader to pull from the center than from the side. My preference is 3 hooks, if not one in the middle is generally more useful than one on each end.
It’s easy to hook the chain on both hook and let it drape in the center (hook together in center of bucket. Then you have the rest of the chain hanging from the center, but the weight is supported by the two hooks.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
It’s easy to hook the chain on both hook and let it drape in the center (hook together in center of bucket. Then you have the rest of the chain hanging from the center, but the weight is supported by the two hooks.
thays what I do. I can also chose to use a grab hook or a slip hook as I made up 4 chains. Each one is 10’ and has a grab on 1 end and a slip on the other end.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
We do 3 grab hooks on top of the bucket and a Clevis shackle in the center order the top edge of the bucket, for straps. We use bolt on ones. The welded ones are easy to snap off with any side load
If a welded hook is easy to snap off, the welding isn’t very good.

Reactions: 4 users

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I agree. mine were welded on by the dealer, they haven’t moved and I doubt they ever will.
On my new tractor, the dealer welded the hooks on. If that wasn’t the case I would weld them to the angle iron and bolt the iron to the bucket like I described previously. Not because the weld doesn’t hold; just because I like the extra strengthening of the bucket by the additional steel.

D

Deleted member 47704

I put on 3 hooks, the end hooks generally aren't for lifting they are for securing loads in the bucket with a ratchet strap.
I used a Unibit for drilling and bolted on hooks instead of welding because the lift capacity of the loader is only around 1000 pounds.

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
The welded ones are easy to snap off with any side load
Take a heck of a lot of side pressure to damage mine if it’s even possible. I think you’d put it on its side or tweak the fel first. If you snap one off you can bet it wasn’t welded properly. If your not confident with your welding abilities or don’t have a buddy to ask for help bolt them on. Pretty easy

Reactions: 1 users

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Lx2610 Cab, Fel, Backhoe, Grapple, Box Grader, Forks
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
We do 3 grab hooks on top of the bucket and a Clevis shackle in the center order the top edge of the bucket, for straps. We use bolt on ones. The welded ones are easy to snap off with any side load

Aren’t the bolt on ones welded to a plate? Might need to turn the heat up on that welder a little bit

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users