Broken Oil Drain Plug

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
I've used both styles and I prefer the helical variety.

Reactions: 1 users

dlm

Equipment
B7100HST FEL B670
Jan 18, 2012
USA
Okay, I’m not touching the EZ out for now. I tried pulling on the plug with vice grips while turning it and no luck. When turning it cycles between easy and hard. I assume it’s hard when the threads are crossing.

What’s my next move?

How difficult is it to remove the oil pan? It looks like I would need to remove the pin to drop the front axel and then remove the 10 bolts on either side of the pan.

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Okay, I’m not touching the EZ out for now. I tried pulling on the plug with vice grips while turning it and no luck. When turning it cycles between easy and hard. I assume it’s hard when the threads are crossing.

What’s my next move?

How difficult is it to remove the oil pan? It looks like I would need to remove a couple of bolts to drop the front axel and then remove the 10 bolts on either side of the pan.
That may be your only/next move.
Don't forget to buy a new pan gasket first.

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
An easy out is irrelevant if the bolt is spinning.......

Either hold the bolt with something and drill it out or remove the pan.

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Maybe you can take something thin, like a putty knife, and put it under the head of the bolt and pry as you turn. It might work it's way as you put pressure on it.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Maybe you can take something thin, like a putty knife, and put it under the head of the bolt and pry as you turn. It might work it's way as you put pressure on it.
That's what I'd do. Or pry with a screw driver under the vise grip jaws while slowly working it around. OP, you're going to have the same problem if you remove the pan.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
That's what I'd do. Or pry with a screw driver under the vise grip jaws while slowly working it around. OP, you're going to have the same problem if you remove the pan.
Yup,.... but the pan, on a workbench, and sitting upside down, seems like a lot better working environment

Reactions: 2 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

What’s my next move?

How difficult is it to remove the oil pan? It looks like I would need to remove the pin to drop the front axel and then remove the 10 bolts on either side of the pan.
Yea you might as well just jump right in and pull the oil pan and either fix it or replace it.
But you will find out really quickly you can not remove the pin, you will need to drop the whole front frame and radiator to get the axle out of the way to get the pan off.

1713061490856.png

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
If the putty knife trick (or small screw driver) does not work, I think it is time to drop the pan as well.

If it were me, I would replace the pan instead of trying to fix it.

That seems like a decent amount of work to have to do, just to have your repair possibly not work/leak.

I have never done an oil pan on a tractor, so i don't know how "torque sensitive" they are, but you might consider buying a "decent" torque wrench and torque it according to the manual.

There is a certain "hard to describe" feeling you get when you put something together, and it leaks cause you didn't torque it properly.........😭

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia

What’s my next move?

I'm kind of surprised it didn't come out. If it spins counter clockwise by hand, and you *really* pull on it, it should come out.
If you do go the route of taking the pan off, a new (or new to you) pan would be better than attempting a re thread only to find out it leaks.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have added drain plugs to pans that didn't have one by drilling a hole in the pan, and then bolting a bolt and nut to the pan through the hole. Weld the nut in place, and then remove the drain bolt. Then I took a cutoff wheel and cut down 2 sides of the nut till the cut was even with the pan metal. Put the pan back up and install a drain bolt with a copper washer. It worked like a charm and no more dropping the transmission pan to do a fluid change.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
the 'snapping sound' might have been the two tiny tack welds that hold the nut in place inside the oil pan ??
IF so,pan HAS to come off

Reactions: 2 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
the 'snapping sound' might have been the two tiny tack welds that hold the nut in place inside the oil pan ??
IF so,pan HAS to come off
Good point. If that turns out to be the case, then all that needs to be done is to reweld the nut to the inside of the pan.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Yea you might as well just jump right in and pull the oil pan and either fix it or replace it.
But you will find out really quickly you can not remove the pin, you will need to drop the whole front frame and radiator to get the axle out of the way to get the pan off.

View attachment 126318
The picture of the used pan seems to show a bung installed and welded from the outside. I would think you could see the bung spinning if the welds are broken???

Dan

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
SEE ??? I don't see well, upside down as bifocal are a royal PITA in that position......:(
Interesting about he weld, makes sense as it seals the bung to the pan....

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Looking at the pic Wolfman posted…. I’d drill it out….and ream/tap the “boss” oversized…and install a new oversized drain plug…. before I’d do all that extra work of trying to remove or replace the pan.

There are a number of aftermarket drain plugs which can do this job.

Reactions: 4 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Looking at the pic Wolfman posted…. I’d drill it out….and ream/tap the “boss” oversized…and install a new oversized drain plug…. before I’d do all that extra work of trying to remove or replace the pan.

There are a number of aftermarket drain plugs which can do this job.

Good idea.

I guess the only possible "hiccup" would be if a chunk of bolt/bung/nut breaks free and is in the oil pan.

Just something to watch out for.

I suppose some of this depends on the OP's confidence in himself, or his willingness to learn new skills.

This is NOT a recommendation, only an idea.

You could "kick the can down the road" by sucking the oil out, them smothering some epoxy like Marine Tex 5200 (or 4200 or JB weld...) to cover the bolt head and leaking area.

Then you could use a "suction machine" to do your oil changes from then on.

(I can already hear people screaming "YOU BLASPHEMOUS HACK !!!!!!!")

I have one of these, but there are many others at the big A, and they work like a charm on "most" vehicles (except my L2501 which has a spilt pan). I use it for my boat and other stuff too.

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/jab17850-1012-jabsco-diy-oil-change-system-w-pump-and-35-gallo.html

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I don't think that any "smearing" of a sealant is going to solve his dilemma. This needs to be dealt with properly and repaired. I agree with sucking the oil out, and I have 2 of those draining suckers. I can't remember when the last time was that I removed a drain plug. Oh yeah, it was last summer when I changed the oil on my 1962 Chevrolet.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I don't think that any "smearing" of a sealant is going to solve his dilemma. This needs to be dealt with properly and repaired. I agree with sucking the oil out, and I have 2 of those draining suckers. I can't remember when the last time was that I removed a drain plug. Oh yeah, it was last summer when I changed the oil on my 1962 Chevrolet.

Although I agree, and I, most likely, would yank the pan and replace/fix it.

However, I respectfully submit that if he has one of those "suction machines" there is no need to ever have to pull that plug again. (at least not that I can think of)

So if he can get a good seal with a "permanent industrial epoxy" or maybe he knows some one to weld/braze it in place.....or whatever, he could be up and running in no time at minimal cost.

Just sayin.... (y) ;)