Brakes Set, But Can Move in Gear

phaser

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100HST 4x4, FEL, field mower
Aug 6, 2013
Oregon
Recent B7100 purchase.

I set the brakes and then forgot they were set, and discovered that in gear I could move the tractor. I have no problems coming to a stop during normal operation.

So, when brakes are set, is it normal to be able to overcome the brakes?

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Yes, depending on what gear you are in. The tractor has drum brakes, which aren't real strong (discs hold better). But, because tractors move so slow, drum brakes work fine. That being said, in low gear, you can overcome the stopping power of the brakes, especially if the shoes are worn down.
My dad had an F250 Powerstroke. In 1st gear high range, you could hold the brake pedal down as hard as you want, let out the clutch, and the truck would still move.
The question them becomes this- are the brakes strong enough to stop the tractor when you want, and with a load? That is more relevant.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If I set mine on the first notch of the lock I can barely get it to crawl, but if I set it to the second notch it will stall the tractor.
I guess I've just got a really good set of brake shoes!;)
And no I'm not lacking HP, I upgraded my B7100 to 21.5 HP.:D

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
It is one of the most annoying things about most tractors....that is, there is not an emergency brake warning light. I can't tell you how many times in a day I drive around with my parking brake on. Very frustrating...and it is not my fault - the tractor manufactures are to blame. :p

However, my L48 has a parking brake light on the dash and I drive around with it on anyway. :eek: :mad:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Very nice. I'm envious.
I'm toying with the idea of adding a turbo to it and bumping it up to about 26 HP.:D
I'm not sure though I might end up breaking something if I do.:eek:

In regards to your parking brake, how many notches on the catch does it take for you to get a good stiff pedal?
Are you locking the two pedals together too?
If it's too many you might need new shoes, or it's way out of adjustment.

Last edited:

phaser

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100HST 4x4, FEL, field mower
Aug 6, 2013
Oregon
In regards to your parking brake, how many notches on the catch does it take for you to get a good stiff pedal?

Are you locking the two pedals together too?

If it's too many you might need new shoes, or it's way out of adjustment.
Brakes lock solid at 3 notches, and the pedals are locking together.

I was looking for the brake drums this afternoon, and I didn't see anything that looked liked brake drums, at least not the automotive kind.

The brake push rod went into a small housing, and if there's a brake drum in there, it must be very small.

As a side note, it's estimated that my B7100 was manufactured in 1997, if this makes any difference.

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7001 with loader & tiller, 3 point hitch and 4' rear blade
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
Parking brakes - what are they?

After driving around too many times with them set, I have prevented that problem by no longer using them. Yes I occasionally need the brakes for stopping or holding on a hill, but for parking I just drop the loader and 3-point. Should do that anyways as they will go down on their own, but I have never moved very far with the loader down.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Do you have a shop manual yet?
PM me an email and I'll send you a copy.

Here is what it looks like.
Brake Assy.JPG

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Do you have a shop manual yet?
PM me an email and I'll send you a copy.

Here is what it looks like.
View attachment 8192
YEP there is a bunch of stuff in the way before you'll see the drums. I put new shoes on my B6100 a while back and took some diggin to unveil the drums. Seems to me they are more like an internal break drum inside the axle.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
I was under the impression that most Kubotas have "wet brakes" that operate in hydraulic fluid.

My L3650 and all current tractors have a "drum"-type enclosure just inboard of the rear wheels. A hydraulic fluid drain plug is in the lowest area to drain the oil.

Maybe that is an erroneous thought. Eric McCarthy can probably clarify this since he put on new shoes.