Bogging down with snowblower

MontanaBoz

Equipment
B2650, B2782b
Oct 28, 2019
Bozeman, Montana
I have a B2650 with a front end B2782b snowblower both with 80 hours. My tractor runs fine but bogs down & blows black smoke when using the snowblower. I've tried going slower and it happens even with minimal snow. In general, tractor seems to feel underpowered.

What's the cause and more importantly, how do I fix this?

I suspect:
1. Water in fuel?
2. Blocked air element (I've changed air filter)
3. Fuel filter needs replacement?
4. I've greased the chain and zerks etc

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I have the same rig and I run it in Low gear range, 540 rpm, no problem. It goes as fast as the blower can get rid of the snow or that my terrain will allow without bogging down. I do have an improvised cover over the hood since the airfilter will plug up with snow.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
I run mine in Mid Range for lite snow 1ft to 2ft and low anything bigger then that. Are the RPM's up where they should be?
Never have had an issue with bogging down the engine.

MontanaBoz

Equipment
B2650, B2782b
Oct 28, 2019
Bozeman, Montana
The air filter does get blocked in snow sometimes. I plow a mile long driveway at 7500 feet. Any suggestions how to prevent this? Thanks!

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Front covers, improvised or otherwise. At your elevation I imagine the snow is powdery. Mine is a corner off an old bedsheet held in place with magnets. Kubota sells one, and a guy on the forum made up some out of naugahyde and will sell you one. Search forum for link, B2650 snow front cover. Will look later.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Here is a link to the thread describing grille covers, it is birddogger that makes a nice one.

https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40241

Snow in the air filter may not be your problem, but these covers sure make life easier.
Sheepfarmer, your fast! And thanks for the compliment, sincerely.

MontanaBoz, I just finished sewing up some covers again (I had some ready to go a while ago and they all sold quickly). I was going to put an add up shortly for this winter. I've been selling them (the full set) for $160 delivered here in the states. I just mailed one to Canada and had to charge a little more because of the extra postage involved. If you're interested, send me a PM or email and I'll put you at the top of the list before I put the ad up again.

Two sets have now gone to B3350 owners and they've confirmed that they fit perfectly, too, as the hood is identical save for the very top air scoop.

And of course anyone else can PM me too and get their name on the list if I don't get something written up soon. Hope this helps! And thanks again, Sheepfarmer!! We'll have to talk commission!:D

Regards,
David

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I have a B2650 with a front end B2782b snowblower both with 80 hours. My tractor runs fine but bogs down & blows black smoke when using the snowblower. I've tried going slower and it happens even with minimal snow. In general, tractor seems to feel underpowered.

What's the cause and more importantly, how do I fix this?

I suspect:
1. Water in fuel?
2. Blocked air element (I've changed air filter)
3. Fuel filter needs replacement?
4. I've greased the chain and zerks etc

Thanks for your help!
Snow blowers eat HP.

I would expect low range, WOT in substantial snow.

SDT

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You have several thing going against you, and if you added drift cutters there is another.

I wish dealers would use more of a "make it fit right approach" then a "make money approach", if they did you would have gotten a smaller better suited blower for your tractor.

I'm to the north west of you and get similar weather and snow and my 60" with 6" drift cutters will eat every bit of the 30HP that I can throw at it.

HP: You only have 19.5 HP to work with, that's asking a lot with a 63" blower. Only way to improve this is go to a larger tractor. ;)

Altitude: To try and help with your altitude issue, Add stanadye to your fuel to up the cetane level (think Octane booster in gasoline), that will help you get a better burn out of the fuel.

Try less deflection on the output chute, less resistance, less HP required.

Take less of a bite, lift it up on the first pass, then take a 1/2 or 3/4 bite on subsequent passes.

If you have not done so Rotella T6 oil and Kubota SUDT 2 in the hydraulics.

Several have pointed to good options to get the heat up which will also help.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Thanks! I'll think about it. How does the cover stay on the tractor?
I'm not sure if this question was meant for me, but if it was: I sew a bunch of high end neodymium magnets inside the outer seams of the covers so they just adhere to the metal hood/grill. Since the magnets are hidden and if you keep those areas free of metal dust or flakes then there is no scratching or damage to the hoods paint. That makes them easy to install and remove with no tools. Basically hold the covers in place and let the magnets snap them in place. You can easily shift them into place too. Once there on the panels stay in place til you lift them off and away. I think there's 36 or 37 magnets in the complete set. Hope that answers your question. :) I made these up late last year and sold a few at winters end. They have a few reviews on that thread. I'm hoping the ones I've sold to now this fall will start posting pics and their reviews also.
Thanks for your interest!!
Regards,
David

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
I have a set of the covers from David (Bird Dogger) and they look awesome, going to put them on this weekend & will try to remember to grab some pix. No snow in the short term to try it out as a unit with the blower on back.

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
I have a set of the covers from David (Bird Dogger) and they look awesome, going to put them on this weekend & will try to remember to grab some pix. No snow in the short term to try it out as a unit with the blower on back.
Same here.

Last year was an issue with the snow/ice accumulation. I tried a few things with not good results.

Saw a thread about these, bought them and put them on last weekend just to see. I am anxiously awaiting snow!!!

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
I would be more than happy to send you what we've gotten, it's been three times already! :mad:
I'd love it!!!!!

I moved here 15 years ago to get the four seasons and snow has been disappointing all but a couple years.