Blowing white smoke

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
You were lucky. Cracks into the seat pocket will result in a loss of press fit and a dropped seat. A bent rod and piston are about the best you can hope for after that.

Bonaro

Equipment
L275DL
Mar 30, 2017
Olympia, wa
You were lucky. Cracks into the seat pocket will result in a loss of press fit and a dropped seat. A bent rod and piston are about the best you can hope for after that.
I will let you know if I am lucky if I can find a new head for less that $700

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Use a dial indicator to measure piston/rod travel and compare it to adjacent cylinders before spending too much money on this.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Anyone have a decent used head laying around for a L 275 D1302-A?
Bonaro - look up Lance - "007Kubotaguy" here on OTT. Send him private message.

Lance has quite a few parts for older L's.

Bonaro

Equipment
L275DL
Mar 30, 2017
Olympia, wa

I will do that. I just called All State Ag Parts and they have a reconditioned one for 830 + core + ship...yikes

Bonaro

Equipment
L275DL
Mar 30, 2017
Olympia, wa

Been about a week and 007kubotaguy hasn't picked up my PM.
Can anyone recommend a wrecking yard or other source for a good used head?

Bonaro

Equipment
L275DL
Mar 30, 2017
Olympia, wa
After getting a hard NO from area machine shops I finally found a guy in Portland who would weld up my cracked head. He wanted about $400 to do this so I opted for a new casting instead. It cost me $540 with ship and will be here Friday... :cool:

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Just curious...
How much more was a complete head with valves installed?

What are your plans for valve seals and seating the old valves in the new head?

Bonaro

Equipment
L275DL
Mar 30, 2017
Olympia, wa
Just curious...
How much more was a complete head with valves installed?

What are your plans for valve seals and seating the old valves in the new head?
The new bare head was $520 out the door.

It came with freeze plugs, stems and seats installed. I will install the old valves and springs and transfer all the studs. Prepping the head and lapping in the valves will take some time but I will start this morning and hope to have the tractor running late this afternoon.

The green paint is about $25 for a single spray can so I am gonna have a quart of oil based paint color matched for about $12, same with the orange.

Bonaro

Equipment
L275DL
Mar 30, 2017
Olympia, wa
I gound the valves and was assembling the new head and managed to mangle on of the valve seals. On the back burner until a new set arrives.

What is the correct procedure for installing the valve seals? The ones in the old head were all rubber. New ones have a steel jacket. I pressed them down by hand expecting to feel them snap them into place. They did not and there was about .050 clearance under the bottom edge. I found a deep socket that fit well and tapped...and the rubber lips were torn by the top of the guide.

Do you just stick these on and hope for the best?
Is there supposed to be clearance under them?
MY shop manual doesnt address this

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
I gound the valves and was assembling the new head and managed to mangle on of the valve seals. On the back burner until a new set arrives.

What is the correct procedure for installing the valve seals? The ones in the old head were all rubber. New ones have a steel jacket. I pressed them down by hand expecting to feel them snap them into place. They did not and there was about .050 clearance under the bottom edge. I found a deep socket that fit well and tapped...and the rubber lips were torn by the top of the guide.

Do you just stick these on and hope for the best?
Is there supposed to be clearance under them?
MY shop manual doesnt address this
These sound like those used on early Toyotas I used to work on. The metal “hat” friction-fits against the valve guide and the rubber seal wipes the valve stem as it runs up/dn. Forcing the hat further down damages the seal. (IF... IF... it’s the same type I USED to work on. I have no experience with Kubota seals.)

Bonaro

Equipment
L275DL
Mar 30, 2017
Olympia, wa
These sound like those used on early Toyotas I used to work on. The metal “hat” friction-fits against the valve guide and the rubber seal wipes the valve stem as it runs up/dn. Forcing the hat further down damages the seal. (IF... IF... it’s the same type I USED to work on. I have no experience with Kubota seals.)
This sounds the same. I have put these on Toyotas before and there is a noticable "snap" when the pop into place. These Kubota seals did not snap but they seemed solid....wondering if I should glue them down

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Or maybe this is a path not to take.

Are the stem holes the same diameter from the original to the replacement head?

Maybe get Kubota seals without the friction hat. Sounds like trouble.

Glue will not hold up with heat. Think maybe take a breath, step back, go back to the Kubota seals which are tried and true.

Bonaro

Equipment
L275DL
Mar 30, 2017
Olympia, wa
Or maybe this is a path not to take.

Are the stem holes the same diameter from the original to the replacement head?

Maybe get Kubota seals without the friction hat. Sounds like trouble.

Glue will not hold up with heat. Think maybe take a breath, step back, go back to the Kubota seals which are tried and true.
I looked at using the stems seal from the old head but they are pretty old.
I have worked with some engines that require the seals to be stuck down with loctite but didnt know if Kubota was one of them

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
I looked at using the stems seal from the old head but they are pretty old.
You're right not to.

The rubber seals should go in and stay. Should not need anything to tack them in place.

Light coat of engine oil on valve stems when installing.

Suggest a simple lookup of Kubota part number for original seals and order those.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
OK..Let’s think about HOW they work: Oil splashes around inside the valve cover and gets all over the valve stems. The valve going up/dn introduces oil down the inside of the guide and burns up inside the cylinder. When the engine is shut-down... oil slides down the stem and enters the cylinder and creates a lot of smoke on startup. Both are to be avoided.

IF.... IF... the seal is snug against the valve stem.... the entire seal (if not snapped down onto the guide) will reciprocate up/dn along with the valve stem. The “hat” will prevent oil from splashing onto the valve stem and also prevent oil from running down the stem ... thereby preventing oil from getting into the cylinder.
(Even if they are not snapped down or friction-fit onto the guide...as long as the rubber seal is against the stem.)

Do not bastardize the design of the part. IF...IF you have the proper part it should work properly. IMO