Block heaters...

mike paulson

Jan 11, 2012
ulster, NY
Im new to block heaters and I never really know when Im going to have to hop on my B2620 tractor and use it, or simply just move it for something parked in front of it. So I've decided until someone convinces me otherwise to leave it plugged in 24/7 if the temps go below 30 degrees.
Does anyone else do this and will I be seeing a $1400.00 electric bill next month. I mean what else to do? I know 2 hours will warm it enough for a smoother start but when I need my machine I cant wait 2 hours? Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

PrairieSoul

Equipment
B2920 BX2755HD LA364FL BH65
Dec 23, 2013
Manitoba
Guessing that your cost of electricity is about 20 cents per killowatt hour and the Kubota block heater is 400 watts, your cost will be about 8 cents per hour or about $ 2 dollars per day,

You have several options to reduce that, one would be to use a timer that turns the block heater on or off based on time and/or temperature. If you get one that can do several events a day you could turn it off during periods ( like the middle of the night ) when you won't need to move the tractor, remembering to leave that 2 hour period of being on before you might want to use the tractor. There are also timers that also measure the outside temperature to also control the block heater but the ones I have found turn on at too low of a temperature for my liking.

You could look at something like these to turn the block heater on/off based on temperature.
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/programmable-outlet-thermostat

BX25DMan

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Sep 16, 2013
Southeast MA
When I bought my new Kubota I asked the dealer specifically about this and he told me I won't need one....I live in New England

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
When I bought my new Kubota I asked the dealer specifically about this and he told me I won't need one....I live in New England
I have a cousin that "lives in New England". A little more than a week ago he had -27F at 5am and a high for the day of -10F. He has block heaters in all his equipment.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Go back to the dealer and slap him... BAD ADVICE!
Block heaters greatly reduce the wear on starting a diesel in the winter.

The_Al

Equipment
L3540, Heavy duty FEL, 9' bachoe, Brush hog, 72" grappler
Jul 19, 2013
MA
We heard the same thing from one of the sales people where we bought. I think he was assuming she was sitting in a heated garage; I try to give the benefit of the doubt on things. Either way, we had one installed and I just plug in the night before for snow, etc. Works very nicely.

Another (slightly more expensive) nice remote starting method is via a WiFi-electric switch, where one can control the switch remotely. This is convenient (lazy in my case) way to remotely kick on the electricity. This works in kids rooms as well.

Go back to the dealer and slap him... BAD ADVICE!
Block heaters greatly reduce the wear on starting a diesel in the winter.

mike paulson

Jan 11, 2012
ulster, NY
I've had mine in for a week or so here in coooold upstate NY and I loves it, starts a lot smoother, much less smoke, and a lot less rattle tat....

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I would not leave it plugged in all the time if you aren't going to use it. They do suck up quite a bit of electricity and will burn out quicker if left on 24/7.

BX25DMan

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Sep 16, 2013
Southeast MA
It hit -12 here the other day.............I need a block heater....

Does anyone have a recommendation?

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
It hit -12 here the other day.............I need a block heater....

Does anyone have a recommendation?
I would just go to your dealer and get the factory block heater for your model. Takes all the guess work out because it's made to fit.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
There was a post on another forum site some years ago where a farmer made comparison of his tractors and the overhauls needed. His chore tractors and his field tractors were compared. The field tractors were started one a day and run all day. The chore tractors would get several starts a day. The major overhauls on the chore tractors took place twice as often per hour run as compared to the field tractors. He blamed it on starting and running while not warmed up. Thereafter he always would run the engine heaters for an hour or so every time, summer or winter, before using them. Claimed it lengthened the number of hours between overhauls.

Minotbob

Jun 29, 2013
Minot, ND
I keep my BX24 plugged in all Winter. But it's on a timer. On at 06:00 off at 18:00. It has never failed to start. My heater was installed by the dealer before I bought it. And if you've been watching the North Dakota weather the past week or so you know that it does get VERY cold.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Your best bet is to buy the correct heater from your Kubota dealer and put it in. They work great and heat well.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Magnetic pan and block heaters don't work on most of Kubota engines.
Oil pan is aluminum and there is not enough flat block space to attach the heater.
The freeze plug or Inline models are always the best bet on these engines.;)

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Magnetic pan and block heaters don't work on most of Kubota engines.
Oil pan is aluminum and there is not enough flat block space to attach the heater.
The freeze plug or Inline models are always the best bet on these engines.;)
That's the way it is with my B7100.:mad:

thirdroc17

Dec 25, 2013
Michigan
My dealer said I didn't need on my BX-2670, and he's right, up to a point. It WILL start, but talk about rattle tat tat and smoke. Smoke only lasts a couple seconds, but the rattle tat tat continues for a while. Can't say as I care for that.

Depending on how often it snows, it might be started every couple days, but more like an average once a week or 10 days. Sometimes longer. Not a lot of cold starts, but dad gum it, they do sound nasty.

That all said. How much does one of these beasty boys cost from Kubota? They aren't listed on "Build Your Kubota", my standard go to for a lot of things. How exactly do they install? Screw a plug out, screw them in? Remove something, and fit it in somewhere? What?

Regardless of how, I'm not going to be out there in sub freezing weather trying it, my fingers lose their manipulation under those conditions. More likely it'll have to suffer through this winter, install one next summer. Just like to know what I'm looking at, exactly, more or less.

rparkinson

Aug 23, 2012
Northport Maine
My dealer installs heaters on every one they sell. I have never used one until now, and wow it is like night and day. I bought a cheap timer on ebay so it comes on and off when I am most likely to use it, or I guess those thermo cubes work well too. If it gets below a specified temp it kicks the power on. I would not go with out now.

alansz400

Equipment
B7500. FEL, Piranha tooth bar, box scraper, post hole digger, 3 pt. bucket
Oct 26, 2013
Loudonville OHIO
My dealer said I didn't need on my BX-2670, and he's right, up to a point. It WILL start, but talk about rattle tat tat and smoke. Smoke only lasts a couple seconds, but the rattle tat tat continues for a while. Can't say as I care for that.

Depending on how often it snows, it might be started every couple days, but more like an average once a week or 10 days. Sometimes longer. Not a lot of cold starts, but dad gum it, they do sound nasty.

That all said. How much does one of these beasty boys cost from Kubota? They aren't listed on "Build Your Kubota", my standard go to for a lot of things. How exactly do they install? Screw a plug out, screw them in? Remove something, and fit it in somewhere? What?

Regardless of how, I'm not going to be out there in sub freezing weather trying it, my fingers lose their manipulation under those conditions. More likely it'll have to suffer through this winter, install one next summer. Just like to know what I'm looking at, exactly, more or less.
Here is my post from my block heater installation on my B7500 hope it helps. http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12327&page=2 Alan