Block heater ?

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Was asked when I bought my BX1880 if I wanted a block heater installed. I turned it down. Used to own my own rig and never plugged it in but used the additive to keep from gelling up. That was late 90’s. Don’t know anything about the diesel engine these days. Was that a mistake to turn down getting the block heater? It will be garaged at all times and plan on using the additives. Thanks.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Was asked when I bought my BX1880 if I wanted a block heater installed. I turned it down. Used to own my own rig and never plugged it in but used the additive to keep from gelling up. That was late 90’s. Don’t know anything about the diesel engine these days. Was that a mistake to turn down getting the block heater? It will be garaged at all times and plan on using the additives. Thanks.
I snowmobiled in MinnySoda, get the block heater. 🥶

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The block heater warms the engine, and a warm engine has less wear than starting a cold engine. You can wait till the engine warms up before using the tractor in the low-temperature winters, but with the block heater, you are ready to go to work in about a minute or two when the hydrostatic oil is warmed. I have block heaters on all my diesel engines and plug them in when I am expecting to need the tractor for snow clearing. I even have a block heater on my diesel generator that is plugged in when we are expecting a storm that will lead to a power outage.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Additives do not heat the tractor up!
Additives do not help it crank or fire up.
Yea you made a mistake unless you have a heated garage as I do.
Get the block heater before winter hits.

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
I guess it all depends on whether you intend to use the tractor in cold weather. Since it's stored indoors, the ambient temperature of the storage area is also a factor, as is the expected temperature during winter usage conditions.

Personally, I passed on the block heater and have never had a problem getting the tractor started in winter (stored indoors, unheated garage, outside temps reach -30F, garage temps rarely go below 30F).

If planning for extended winter usage, consider a lighter-weight engine oil, perhaps 10W instead of 15W (some owners will use 5W-40 for this purpose). Just make sure that any alternate engine oil is diesel rated.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I noticed a considerable difference when starting mine in the cold when I use the block heater vs. not using it.

It starts when I don't use it, but it chugs and smokes like crazy for a few seconds.

Since you are in Minnesota, my vote is for getting it.

Reactions: 1 users

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Well, no heated garage. Have had diesel trucks in the past that sat outside in the cold winter that always started provided I added the fuel treatment to keep it from gelling. Will be using it allot in the winter if we get allot of snow like this past year. I always let my engine warm up in the winter when I had my diesel trucks. I'll check on price anyways to have one installed and decide in the fall if I want one installed. Thanks for the replies.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
If in a cold climate it seems like a block heater is ‘an once of prevention’. What would be the argument not to have something to help the engine start easier? I can only imagine the hardest thing on the engine is a cold start…all that pressure on the rings can’t be good for it…why not try to help it out?

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
If in a cold climate it seems like a block heater is ‘an once of prevention’. What would be the argument not to have something to help the engine start easier? I can only imagine the hardest thing on the engine is a cold start…all that pressure on the rings can’t be good for it…why not try to help it out?
Many think it is all about getting it started, but the reduced wear and stresses on the starter, battery and engine parts aren't considered. Since Ford came out with the 6.7 diesel, starting is a non-issue, but I still plug in the block heater in extreme weather.

dclauria

Equipment
Kubota L4060HSTC, L4479 snowblower, EA 60" grapple, LP GS2584, LP BB2572
Jan 1, 2022
Northern Michigan
A block heater was the first thing I installed my GrandL4060.
I don't use the one in my 2018 Duramax, but I use the one in my Kubota frequently, and they are parked side by side in an unheated pole barn in N.Mich.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The block heater cost is about $90 and it takes about 1/2 hour to install. Figure 1 hour if you are not familiar with the tools to do the job. Hell, I'll bet that the dealer will install it for you for the price of the part since you just bought the tractor from him. On my first tractor, the dealer threw the block heater in for free when I bought the tractor. Since I bought my last tractor used, I just bought the block heater and installed it myself. I also had a cab installed and told the dealer that I would install the heater lines myself since I knew that I would be more particular in making sure that they were installed neatly. I am very particular about my cars and my tractor.

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
I’m going to be installing my 3rd block heater on my 2013 BX25D.
1st one was bad from the dealer, this one went bad (supposedly) from starting the BX WITH THE HEATER STILL ON, according to this site’s collective, wisdom. So, some time before Fall I will be removing and installing the 3rd. (And NOT starting the BX with the heater On)😊

• Love

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I’m going to be installing my 3rd block heater on my 2013 BX25D.
1st one was bad from the dealer, this one went bad (supposedly) from starting the BX WITH THE HEATER STILL ON, according to this site’s collective, wisdom. So, some time before Fall I will be removing and installing the 3rd. (And NOT starting the BX with the heater On)😊
While there is a theory that says operating with the heater on may cause it to fail, my guess is that the block heaters are cheaply made in the usual country. I would be looking for an alternate supplier.

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
While there is a theory that says operating with the heater on may cause it to fail, my guess is that the block heaters are cheaply made in the usual country. I would be looking for an alternate supplier.
Of course. I would expect that as well but the “supplier” is my Kubota dealer.’
Not searching for any other block heaters that “might” work when the correct one is available.

kubotasaurus

Equipment
B2601
Jun 24, 2023
Indiana
Related question... How long would it take a block heater to warm up the engine on my B2601? I'm guessing an hour or two depending on how cold it is outside.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
1st, I'd like to know ht e'science' behind how a block heater fails when starting an engine with it on..
2nd, if you' install a block heater, also install a battery warming cover. If it's cold enough to need the blcok heater, your battery is might dang cold and won't have too many electrons available to turn over the engine

3rd as for 'time needed'.... several factors, how cold outside, how cold the tractor is,power(watts) of the heater, any wind blowing to name some. Shoot engine block with an IR temperature gun,every 1/2 hour and write the temperature down, as well as ambient temperature. From that you can make a 'guesstimate' for the actual time needed. Usually 2-4 hours,more is better.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
A block heater was the first thing I installed my GrandL4060.
I don't use the one in my 2018 Duramax, but I use the one in my Kubota frequently, and they are parked side by side in an unheated pole barn in N.Mich.

Same here.

I have one on my Cummins, but I've never used it; however the tractor seems to need it a bit.

1st, I'd like to know ht e'science' behind how a block heater fails when starting an engine with it on..
2nd, if you' install a block heater, also install a battery warming cover. If it's cold enough to need the blcok heater, your battery is might dang cold and won't have too many electrons available to turn over the engine

3rd as for 'time needed'.... several factors, how cold outside, how cold the tractor is,power(watts) of the heater, any wind blowing to name some. Shoot engine block with an IR temperature gun,every 1/2 hour and write the temperature down, as well as ambient temperature. From that you can make a 'guesstimate' for the actual time needed. Usually 2-4 hours,more is better.

Through some un-scientific experimenting I have found that at about 20 to 30F a half hour to 45 minutes work well.

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
Kubota small diesel engines seem a bit cold natured so I would add the block heater. I have owned a Deere 955 compact since 955 which has a 1.4L Yanmar and in warm weather it starts immediately and smoothly without waiting for the glow plugs to heat and a few seconds wait provides smooth starts in the cold. I found with the Kubota D1105 in my F2690, it wants some quality glow plug time before starting even in hot weather.

I won't have any use for the F2690 during the winter but if I did it would have a block heater on it because it would probably be a real dog to start in sub-freezing weather.

Modern diesel pickups are a different animal because they are designed for use by anyone. My 2018 GMC doesn't even turn on the glow plugs when it is warm and the fast heat plugs are only on for about 4 seconds in cold weather before the wait to start light goes off.

I have no idea how cold natured the 3.3L Mitsubishi turbo diesel is in my standby generator because the auto start controller gives the plugs and lift pump 15 seconds to do their thing before it tells the starter to engage. It starts smoothly and the voltage and frequency OK LEDs are illuminated a couple of seconds after start but I still have it programmed for a 4 minute warmup before the load is transferred to give it a little settling time which also allows refrigerator and freezer compressors to equalize before they restart.

Rodger

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Starting an engine with the heater in will not cause a failure. However, letting it run very long will. They overheat because there is nominal coolant flow AND they are usually located in the middle of two cylinders. The block water jacket heats up pretty quickly. Even though your gauge shows a cold engine.
One thing I like about having a heater in the 6.7 is that the windshield gets defrosted too. At 8° ambient it took 3 hours to increase the temp 20°