Block heater ?

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
I have a block heater and an oil pan heater on my diesel standby generator. They have a thermostat that lets them come on if it drops to 32 degrees in the generator area of the barn and I wired a relay in series that cuts their power when the generator starts running.

Rodger

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Starting an engine with the heater in will not cause a failure. However, letting it run very long will. They overheat because there is nominal coolant flow AND they are usually located in the middle of two cylinders. The block water jacket heats up pretty quickly. Even though your gauge shows a cold engine.
One thing I like about having a heater in the 6.7 is that the windshield gets defrosted too. At 8° ambient it took 3 hours to increase the temp 20°
In my experience, the block heater failed because I started it while the heater was still plugged in. I immediately unplug the heater cord after starting…I never let it run an extended time with the heater plugged in.
That blows your “extended run” theory out of the water.
That aside, these little heater elements probably have a short life simply because of their make up…lots of vibration in a small diesel motor can’t help the matter either.

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Kubota LX2610, 1951 Farmall M, 1967 John Deere 110 Rf, 2010 Arctic Cat 700
Apr 25, 2023
WI
When buying my lx2610 I asked the dealer about a block heater. The sales guy said starting their tractors sitting outside -30 snowing and blowing in the dead of winter he never had issues if glow plugged properly. He said only once did he have to glow plug a tractor twice.

I have a 200 yard horse shoe driveway. I used an arctic cat 700 tbx with efi to plow it. I have a trickle charger on it during winter it's in an old drafty farm shed. I let the fuel pump cycle through fire it up and let it idle/warm up while I shovel or snow blow doorways and never had a problem. If fired up, shift into gear, and throttle wide open I'd imagen it'd smoke, spit and sputter.

I guess it's personal preference and extra security. You don't want a dead/geled tractor when you need to clear the driveway to get to work.

I've seen more neighbors lose farm equipment and buildings due to block heaters. Could be a number of factors, bad electrical, bad extension cord, not heavy enough cord, or fault heater........I guess either way the heater did it's job.......

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
In my experience, the block heater failed because I started it while the heater was still plugged in. I immediately unplug the heater cord after starting…I never let it run an extended time with the heater plugged in.
That blows your “extended run” theory out of the water.
That aside, these little heater elements probably have a short life simply because of their make up…lots of vibration in a small diesel motor can’t help the matter either.
Different strokes for different folks. 285k on one engine and 88k on another. Original heaters. Both have been started several times while plugged in. Kinda blows your theory away 😉

Reactions: 1 user

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Different strokes for different folks. 285k on one engine and 88k on another. Original heaters. Both have been started several times while plugged in. Kinda blows your theory away 😉
You talking about small diesel tractors with 1000’s of miles or your Toyota Camry? 🤣

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
For the heaters for the F350 & the LX I have them plugged into Wi-Fi controlled plugs. I turn the heater on about 45-60 minutes before I plan to use whatever one is going to be used. Works well, Doesn't waste electricity. Best part is the oil pressure is up as soon as it fires - saves a lot of wear and tear on the motors.
Everyone will have their own opinion but for me it's worth it on the basis of not having needless cold starts.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
You talking about small diesel tractors with 1000’s of miles or your Toyota Camry? 🤣
Diesel Pick-up. I wouldn't think my grandma needs one in her Camry.
Gas, diesel, CNG....shouldn't matter. It's just a mini water heater element. Electrically speaking, the heater is isolated from the vehicle. The only reason I could see it going pop is heat. Speaking in terms of starting an engine with one on, of course.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Not an "apple to apple" comparison, but my SIL let me use his brand new Vermeer S925TX diesel (less than 15 hours on it) a few weeks ago and it was about 45 out in the morning.

It would not start until I use the glow plug/s for about 10 seconds.

I was amazed.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Not an "apple to apple" comparison, but my SIL let me use his brand new Vermeer S925TX diesel (less than 15 hours on it) a few weeks ago and it was about 45 out in the morning.

It would not start until I use the glow plug/s for about 10 seconds.

I was amazed.
He might want to change fuel suppliers, fuel with a low cetane can do that.

AKguy09

Equipment
LX3310/ Cab 1950 F- Cub
Nov 22, 2017
ellicott, colorado
A block heater can fail if started depending on the type of block heater, my little BX tractor had in-line circulation type heater. Most if not all of those are not supposed to have the engine started while plugged in and circulating.

The standard heating element type block heater should be fine starting the engine while plugged in...the 16 years I lived in Alaska everyone starts their car via remote start with those plugged in :)

Bob_Young

Equipment
L4300, B7610, MX5000, L3902, BH90X, Woods Batwing Brush Cutter
1) bubble in water stream after startup can wipeout block heater if still operating
2) still have to idle 4 or 5 minutes after startup to warm hydraulic oil whether block heater used or not
3) engine sounds much better on startup (less/no clatter) if block heater used
4) engines will still start and run if block heater not used
5) engine will probably expire from some other abuse/stupidity before block heater non-use becomes an issue

Verdict: Save your money...spend it on other options.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Li
Was asked when I bought my BX1880 if I wanted a block heater installed. I turned it down. Used to own my own rig and never plugged it in but used the additive to keep from gelling up. That was late 90’s. Don’t know anything about the diesel engine these days. Was that a mistake to turn down getting the block heater? It will be garaged at all times and plan on using the additives. Thanks.
Where in Minnesota?.
If North of MSP
Block heater for sure!

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
I'm in Wisconsin and I use a block heater if the weather is below 10 degrees F. It is not because the engine will not start it is because the engine oil flows much sooner if it is warm. Now GM Duramaxs will not start around -30 degrees and my TDI(old VW) was around -5 degrees and it was not happy about running for a few minutes.

Reactions: 1 user

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Apr 25, 2023
WI
I'm in Wisconsin and I use a block heater if the weather is below 10 degrees F. It is not because the engine will not start it is because the engine oil flows much sooner if it is warm. Now GM Duramaxs will not start around -30 degrees and my TDI(old VW) was around -5 degrees and it was not happy about running for a few minutes.
Where abouts in WI? I'm about 2 hours north of the Illinois boader.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
In my case I have WiFi out in the barn. So I have a couple of Internet enabled plugs that I use for the block heater in the tractor as well as the F350. It costs almost nothing to run the heater well I'm eating breakfast. Then when I go out to start either of them it's not nearly as hard as it otherwise would be on the motor. Contrary to some opinions here you can see the difference in the oil samples on the wear metals such as bearings ECT...

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
By Richland Center which about one hour west of La Crosse WI.
It is possible to live..... "one hour West of La Crosse, WI."......., and still be in Wisconsin?
I don't think so!

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Apr 25, 2023
WI
By Richland Center which about one hour west of La Crosse WI.
You're about 2 hours west of me. If you're ever in the area feel free to stop in.