Bleeding fuel line

Codi

Equipment
Kubota B9200D bush hog, finish mower, carry all, box blade
Jan 17, 2016
Northern Kentucky
I was wondering if I could get some help bleeding the fuel line on my tractor. It's a B9200D and I did read the operators manual on how to do it, but I wanted to check into something it said. Mine has two valves to open. From what I can make of it, you open the valve above the fuel canister first to fill the canister then close it. Then open the bleeder valve on the injector pump. However, mine does not have a decompression valve so the manual says to start the tractor for a minute while the valve is open.
Would the tractor even run with that valve open? And did I understand how to do this correctly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I am assuming you mean "Would the tractor even run with that valve open?" the decompression valve?.....and the answer is no, it only allows the compression to be allowed to leak, letting the engine spin a lot faster - kinda like roll starting a gas car in 2nd gear!

The reason it wants you to open THAT valve is to bleed the air out as quick as possible(and it will not start), without the decomp knob - you will spin the engine at a "normal" starting speed and then watch for air/bubbles and finally a small stream of fuel spilling from the bleeder valve, if / when you STOP seeing bubbles, close the valve and try to fire, repeat until it does fire. You plan is sound, go try!:)

I watched a guy many years ago, bleed an engine while the operator held down the key.....that was a hoot. He cracked each injector one by one, the operator (rental equipment) was impressed.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
I am assuming you mean "Would the tractor even run with that valve open?" the decompression valve?.....and the answer is no.
codi stated his tractor didn't have a decompression valve. I think he was asking if engine can start with "bleeder valve " on IP open and I think the answer is yes engine can start with bleeder valve open.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
codi stated his tractor didn't have a decompression valve. I think he was asking if engine can start with "bleeder valve " on IP open and I think the answer is yes engine can start with bleeder valve open.
Jim,

I read the question verrry carefully .....and answered both questions, without the ambiguity of the original question!:):)

Codi

Equipment
Jan 17, 2016
Northern Kentucky
I am assuming you mean "Would the tractor even run with that valve open?" the decompression valve?.....and the answer is no, it only allows the compression to be allowed to leak, letting the engine spin a lot faster - kinda like roll starting a gas car in 2nd gear!

The reason it wants you to open THAT valve is to bleed the air out as quick as possible(and it will not start), without the decomp knob - you will spin the engine at a "normal" starting speed and then watch for air/bubbles and finally a small stream of fuel spilling from the bleeder valve, if / when you STOP seeing bubbles, close the valve and try to fire, repeat until it does fire. You plan is sound, go try!:)

I watched a guy many years ago, bleed an engine while the operator held down the key.....that was a hoot. He cracked each injector one by one, the operator (rental equipment) was impressed.

I meant will it run with the bleeder valve open. Mine doesn't have a decompression valve. So will it run with the bleeder valve open? It says to start it with the bleeder valve open.
Sorry, I must not have been clear.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
"you open the valve above the fuel canister first to fill the canister then close it?"

Codi, If I remember correctly, that shut off valve is to to cut off fuel flow while opening the canister to replace the fuel filter. Once the filter is back in place open the valve to let fuel flow.....and leave it open OR you will be shutting off the fuel again.... And no fuel to injectors.

Codi

Equipment
Jan 17, 2016
Northern Kentucky
"you open the valve above the fuel canister first to fill the canister then close it?"

Codi, If I remember correctly, that shut off valve is to to cut off fuel flow while opening the canister to replace the fuel filter. Once the filter is back in place open the valve to let fuel flow.....and leave it open OR you will be shutting off the fuel again.... And no fuel to injectors.

Right. But there is a second bleeder valve above the canister with a knob on it to let air out I believe. Let me take some pictures to help explain what I'm talking about. I'm not doing a very good job of explaining this.

Codi

Equipment
Jan 17, 2016
Northern Kentucky
So this is the first bleeder valve and is above the fuel filter canister. It connects to the the small rubber hose that runs between the injectors. After the last injector that hose connects to this valve then there is hose that goes from that valve to the fuel canister.

This is the valve on the fuel injector pump.

What is the first valve for? And do I need to open it when I bleed the fuel line? The operators manual is really vague on how to do it.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Valve at injection pump bleeds the air to that point (from fuel tank to injection pump)

Second valve by injectors bleeds air from injection pump to fuel injectors. I would assume, you can use that valve instead of cracking fuel injectors to get the air out :)

Codi

Equipment
Jan 17, 2016
Northern Kentucky
Well that would make sense. Makes it easier than cracking the injectors :)
When I open these, should I start the tractor? Do I open them both at the same time?

Also as a side note, does anyone know where I can get a workshop manual for a B9200D? Preferably under $100.00.... Lol

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The valve in the first picture allows the air to be purged from the filter canister the valve on the side of the Injection pump.

So on a filter change you would first open the valve above the filter, then when filter is full close that valve, open the valve on the side of the injection pump and bled the line to the injection pump.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
On dads l2250, you filled the fuel filter with fuel. Cracked the bleeder to the injection pump. Then cranked the motor over till it started. Run for a couple minutes. Then shut the valve.

It should say wether to run it or not in your owners manual.

Check out www.kubotabooks.com and see if they have your manual. That's the free site :)

If it's not there. You can try www.kubota.servicemanualvault.com

They are $9.95 per manual

Last edited:

Codi

Equipment
Jan 17, 2016
Northern Kentucky
Would a few puffs of white smoke on the first start indicated some air in the fuel line? It never does it after the first start up. I know it wasn't used for a while before I got it, so could it have gotten an air bubble from sitting for a while or being in the cold garage while sitting?