BH77 Backhoe storage care

ArtinAz

Equipment
L3901
Oct 24, 2019
Snowflake
I just got my L3901 with backhoe & box scraper. The backhoe was attached but for now, I switched out to the box scraper. I don't have a shed, yet, so everything is sitting in the field.

I have the backhoe tarped where the seat is up to base of arm. Should I cover the entire implement to protect from weather or will it be ok as I have it now? I basically wanted to cover seat area & levers but it bothers me to see arm exposed. The dealer said it really doesn't matter but just wanted to make sure.

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
I just got my L3901 with backhoe & box scraper. The backhoe was attached but for now, I switched out to the box scraper. I don't have a shed, yet, so everything is sitting in the field.

I have the backhoe tarped where the seat is up to base of arm. Should I cover the entire implement to protect from weather or will it be ok as I have it now? I basically wanted to cover seat area & levers but it bothers me to see arm exposed. The dealer said it really doesn't matter but just wanted to make sure.

IMO, it’s a catch 22... covering will protect the paint from UV fade, but also trap moisture, increasing the rate of rust. Waxing might be better than covering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You didn't just store it on the ground did you?
Best to be up on a pallet or at least some blocks to let it breath.

If you tarp it, tarp to the pallet to let air get under it. ;)

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
Very good recommendation—even if uncovered. The only implement that I store outside is my box blade. Colorado is extremely dry and things rust relatively slowly (but UV damage is brutal). I had the box blade on a pallet and initially tarped. Rusted faster and thicker than I’ve ever seen here. Was almost as quick as my experience in southern CA. Cleaned it up a bit and I no longer tarp. Even if you’re just tarping the seat and controls, you might consider cutting some vents to reduce the chance of mildew and mold.

Remember that your backhoe likely sat out in the elements on rail cars and in the dealers’ lot before it ever got to you.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Wouldn't hurt to empty a can of WD40 over most of it. The tarp will minimize UV,rain,snow exposure and the WD40 will minimize oxidation. Good excuse to use that BH77 to build a shed of some sort.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Oh and if your going to tarp it, put a sock full of mothballs on the seat so the wildlife doesn't snack on it! ;)

ArtinAz

Equipment
L3901
Oct 24, 2019
Snowflake
Oh and if your going to tarp it, put a sock full of mothballs on the seat so the wildlife doesn't snack on it! ;)
Good one. I'm on 42 acres & it's been snowing, raining, freezing, & very windy out here. Mothballs will keep mice away?

I hope to have my shed over the next month so I'll need to pull the tarp off when percipitation isnt in the forecast,

ArtinAz

Equipment
L3901
Oct 24, 2019
Snowflake
IMO, it’s a catch 22... covering will protect the paint from UV fade, but also trap moisture, increasing the rate of rust. Waxing might be better than covering.

Never thought of waxing the backhoe, have please type of carnauba from my car. What about the cylinders, just oil I guess?

ArtinAz

Equipment
L3901
Oct 24, 2019
Snowflake
Wouldn't hurt to empty a can of WD40 over most of it. The tarp will minimize UV,rain,snow exposure and the WD40 will minimize oxidation. Good excuse to use that BH77 to build a shed of some sort.
I'll be getting a metal shed & decided on a ccrt slab.

ArtinAz

Equipment
L3901
Oct 24, 2019
Snowflake

Yes, it's on the dirt. Will need to pull my pallets out, thanks for the input. I didn't have much time to do much after delivered. There were 50mph gusts that day & snow the next so I switched the 2 implements since I thought I'll be using the box soon afterwards after the weather passed.

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
Never thought of waxing the backhoe, have please type of carnauba from my car. What about the cylinders, just oil I guess?

I don’t personally wax my tractor, but I’ve seen other people post that they do. I’m sure any car wax would be fine. I think cylinders are stainless so I’m not sure I’d bother, but I’ll let someone else answer on cylinder care. Also wouldn’t want to attract dirt on the cylinders with excess oil.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I think cylinders are stainless so I’m not sure I’d bother, but I’ll let someone else answer on cylinder care. Also wouldn’t want to attract dirt on the cylinders with excess oil.
Cylinders are not stainless, they are chromed and yes they can and will rust if not taken care of.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
buy a piece of damaged 1/2" plywood, and put it on that. Then buy some 2x4's and build a quick frame that you can throw a cheap plastic tarp over to keep the sun and rain off of it. That will allow it to breath, and the mice don't like open areas, so mice will not be a problem. Put some chassis grease on the exposed chrome cylinder to prevent rust.
As for WD40, it is basically a fish oil, and it will not offer long term protection to the elements. Wax is a better choice, or one of the new sprays that put a barrier onto the paint, such as Top Coat F11. It is expensive, but it goes a long way, and works extremely well on clean paint. You don't want to seal the dirt in!

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
buy a piece of damaged 1/2" plywood, and put it on that. Then buy some 2x4's and build a quick frame that you can throw a cheap plastic tarp over to keep the sun and rain off of it. That will allow it to breath, and the mice don't like open areas, so mice will not be a problem. Put some chassis grease on the exposed chrome cylinder to prevent rust.

As for WD40, it is basically a fish oil, and it will not offer long term protection to the elements. Wax is a better choice, or one of the new sprays that put a barrier onto the paint, such as Top Coat F11. It is expensive, but it goes a long way, and works extremely well on clean paint. You don't want to seal the dirt in!

Paste wax (for woodworking) is actually a pretty good protectant for metal.

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
Cylinders are not stainless, they are chromed and yes they can and will rust if not taken care of.

Ugh. Didn’t know that. Chrome is pretty terrible stuff in harsh environments. Once it flakes off even a little bit, it’s all down hill from there. [chromed trailer balls are a great example... one use and chrome is donezo]. So what’s your recommendation for taking care of the cylinders?

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I'll be getting a metal shed & decided on a ccrt slab.

I hope to have my shed over the next month
Sounds like a winner. Until then pallet/tarp method should work fine. WD40 just displaces water to prevent rust. Cheap, fast, easy, but not a long term solution as it doesn't last long. Waxing lasts longer but is more time,$, work. To be honest, if the shed will be done in a month or two, it's not going to matter much either way. Pallet and tarp is fine for that amount of time. Have fun with the shed.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Ugh. Didn’t know that. Chrome is pretty terrible stuff in harsh environments. Once it flakes off even a little bit, it’s all down hill from there. [chromed trailer balls are a great example... one use and chrome is donezo]. So what’s your recommendation for taking care of the cylinders?

The chrome on trailer balls, bumpers and other ornamental chrome is not the same as industrial chrome. Industrial chrome is much harder and durable. I have seen chrome cylinders that are very old that are still in perfect condition. My back hoe and bucket cylinders on my BX22 spend most of their life in the New England environment, and not one of them has even a pit or rust spot on them. Some winters I have forgotten to even grease them before putting them away for the winter.

redfernclan

Jul 18, 2014
Sweet home, Oregon
A light film of grease on the rods does not hurt. You don't need a lot. When you finally get it to where it is going to stay for a few months, either lower the out riggers of tie them up like most do. Then you know that nothing is going to move on you and you can put on a film of grease. All hydraulics bleed off over time.

pjoh784350

Equipment
BX23, quick attach bucket, 3 point, pallet forks
May 3, 2019
Danville
I'm not a big fan of WD40 either. CLP from breakfree is a really good product, I used it on my cylinders. Pennzoil also makes a marine protectant in a spray. I had thought if using that as I used it in my ocean boat motors for years with good results.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
When I've had to store my BH outside, I tarped it and I smeared lithium white crease on the exposed chrome rods, packing a little extra where they met the cylinder to prevent water from possibly sitting in that 'cup like spot. I ratchet strapped the stabilizers together so they would not sag, put the locking pins in to hold the boom up and made sure the bucket was down and 'relaxed'. This way nothing moved and the grease was were I wanted it. Up on cement blocks with some pressure treated lumber on top of them for the BH to side on.