best welding method for wheel repair.

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
hi all, I need to carry out some repairs to the front rims on my L225.
they are the earlier 4 stud split rims for turf tyres, same format as the early 4 stud turf rims found on early 6100,7100 etc.
It seems that these rims were prone to splitting around the stud holes etc if not kept nice and tight etc.
Previous owner let them get loose and with to larger tyres have caused a lot of splitting even broken sections.

I am thinking best plan of attack is to weld the splits and rebuild the missing sections by weld filling the grind back and redrill etc.
As the splits/cracks are just that, what is best weld method, i was thinking mig welding them at a higher ampage to get a good penatration right throught the metal thus joining better than just surface welding.
since the surfaces need to be flat any surface weld wont work.

after this i was going to fab up 2 steel plates to weld fit to either side to strenghten the rim when bolted back on to axle hubs.

any thoughts on this plan and welding method , or, any better suggestions ( new rims are not an option :mad:)due to cost.

have added pic of the l225 rims with the offending oversize tyres also my old B7100 with the factory modified rim option that has a plate allready fitted.

any thoughts
rob

Attachments

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
hi all, I need to carry out some repairs to the front rims on my L225.
they are the earlier 4 stud split rims for turf tyres, same format as the early 4 stud turf rims found on early 6100,7100 etc.
It seems that these rims were prone to splitting around the stud holes etc if not kept nice and tight etc.
Previous owner let them get loose and with to larger tyres have caused a lot of splitting even broken sections.

I am thinking best plan of attack is to weld the splits and rebuild the missing sections by weld filling the grind back and redrill etc.
As the splits/cracks are just that, what is best weld method, i was thinking mig welding them at a higher ampage to get a good penatration right throught the metal thus joining better than just surface welding.
since the surfaces need to be flat any surface weld wont work.

after this i was going to fab up 2 steel plates to weld fit to either side to strenghten the rim when bolted back on to axle hubs.

any thoughts on this plan and welding method , or, any better suggestions ( new rims are not an option :mad:)due to cost.

have added pic of the l225 rims with the offending oversize tyres also my old B7100 with the factory modified rim option that has a plate allready fitted.

any thoughts
rob
Hi Rob do you have a wheel repair shop in your area? If you do maybe take the rims in for quote to replace the centers or they may have a better idea as they work with wheels all the time. After repairing them I would replace the studs and use a torque wrench to tighten them. Just my opinion Barry

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Forget welding and drilling and trying to repair the center. You'll never get enough strength out of it to hold up over anytime!
Just cut a new center and weld in a new center.
If you don't want to compleately remove the whole center just cut it back to about 1" beyond the lug holes and replace that it will be much stronger and safer down the line.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I think NI Wolfman is one the right track. If I was in the same situation that's what I would do myself.

Side note: Whatever Handyman tells you is as good as gold, take it to the bank...

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
Rob,

I'd tackle it just as you described. Certainly worth a shot before cutting the center of the wheel out. I would think the reinforcing sandwhich will work just fine. A good hot mig weld should be fine. Note you won't get a good hot weld from a baby welder plugged into a normal wall outlet.

Good luck and Happy Holidays,

Steve

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
One of mine has washers welded on over each hole. I'm not saying that's the best method, but it's a method. Mine is 4wd with a loader and R1's, the front end does more than it's fair share and seems to be holding up. I didn't do it, a previous owner did.

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
Received your pm and replied back please let me know how it works for you or let me know if you didn't get it . My instructions as BULLDOG knows is usually to long to post. Also let me know if you need anything else just wish you lived closer I would have you visit and show you how. Handy;)

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
Thanks guys for all the info, great repsonse from all as per normal on OTT:).
Will be tackling the problematic rims shortly and will update on completion of repair, good or bad....;);)
Handyman , yep recieved your PM, have replied back to you this evening, great PM sir:D:)

thanks again guys, signing of now if i dont get back on ott before Xmas, I wish you all a very happy Xmas and new year...:):cool:

and dont drink or eat too much;)

rob

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
Well guys, all done now.
I have to thanks all for the input , as normal great help from you all especially handyman;):D
I did have my doubts at the start as to wether i would be able to get a good ,strong fix and it seems all has come good.
To sum up, i arc welded all the cracks and hole mounting hole damage on all 4 rims halves with my 160Amp arc welder, and by the end of the proccess and redrilling ,grinding back and finishing off you would be hard pushed to see any repair to them let alone cracks and broken mounting holes.:cool::D
Anyway, not being satified with that i decided to fabricate 4 extra re-inforcement plates and welded one to each rim section, luckily i had some suitable steel plate and also had a allmost new 89mm holes saw, anded up with a perfect fit pilot hole over the hub etc.:)

The only part i wasnt 100% about was the welds on the re-informent plates, had to use a rubbish arc welder with less than ideal results:(:mad:
but decided to leave alone rather than start redoing things at this late stage.

Job done , just need to get them top coated later this weekend and tyres fitted back on.

so many thanks to you all for help and input, couple of pics attached as all 4 rims looks the same now..

rob

Attachments

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
My front split rim on my B9200 is cracked almost completely around, and the holes are elongated from the prior owner letting the bolts get loose. I had contemplated welding the crack, installing a repair plate, or several other options before contacting my dealer and having him ship out a new rim for $190. Its a 1 piece now, so I'll need to have the new tire (that was another joy to find) mounted at a tire shop.

The 24x8.50-12 Firestones were difficult to find, and were over $180 once located....so I'm trying a 24x9.50-12 Carlisle Turfmaster/MultiTrac which is easily located, holds more weight, and can be had for around $90 with shipping. I will end up replacing both front tires in the near future so they match.

I'll definitely keep my old 2 piece around in case I need it or if I can help out a forum member.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
My split rim on my B9200 is cracked almost completely around, and the holes are elongated from the prior owner letting the bolts get loose. I had contemplated welding the crack, installing a repair plate, or several other options before contacting my dealer and having him ship out a new rim for $190. Its a 1 piece now, so I'll need to have the new tire (that was another joy to find) mounted at a tire shop.

The 24x8.50-12 Firestones were difficult to find, and were over $180 once located....so I'm trying a 24x9.50-12 Carlisle Turfmaster/MultiTrac which is easily located, holds more weight, and can be had for around $90 with shipping. I will end up replacing both front tires in the near future so they match.

I'll definitely keep my old 2 piece around in case I need it or if I can help out a forum member.
Is it a 4wd model?
FYI: Changing just the front's size on a 4WD model will lead to problems if it is.

Billdog350

Equipment
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
Wolfman, its a 4wd, however the WIDTH of the tire is changing, not the height. Seeing that my existing tires are over 20yrs old and well worn, the new tire will be a step in the right direction. You're correct that the diameter of the tire is crucial for 4wd, but I'm not expecting width to be an issue as long as there is clearance. The new tire will only be .5" wider on each side, so it should be good.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Those 2 tire sizes that you mentioned, while it is wider, it is also taller, they call tire sizing an aspect ratio.
I'm not exactly sure of the difference between the 2 but a quick check is .4" on the OD, could not find the RC.
With that small of a difference it might not matter, just though I would point it out.;)

Billdog350

Equipment
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
Thanks for pointing it out. There was a discussion about "leading vs trailing" for the front end of the tractor. Essentially you need your fronts to travel slightly FASTER than the rears to reduce binding. A slightly larger tire will accomplish that nicely.

I can confirm that the new rim bolted right up with plenty of backspacing, and the new tire clears the steering knuckle and actually shifts in and out of 4wd more easily than with the stock tires! I will likely end up replacing the other front tire in time so they match. I caught the rim just in time, it was cracked on the front and was cracking on the back....

These 24x9.50-12 Carlisle turf masters are available at powersportsplace (a division of Summit Racing) for $75ea with free shipping over $100! They do charge a $8 oversize fee but its still a smokin deal! With a 1500lb rating each, they will be more than sufficient for any loads your B9200 can pick up.

For anyone with a B9200 with turf tires who doesn't want to fork over the $180+ for the single replacement firestone, they can get TWO brand new 4ply Carlisle tires delivered to their door that will fit and work nicely.

Attachments

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
well wheels all painted up and tyres proper size tyres back on, job done and good to go for a few more years:):D

thanks for all the help & advise guys, very appreciated.
rob

Attachments

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
Looks good yep will last a few more years now. Remember stick weld sounds like bacon frying. :D handy