Best motor oil to use

Iguide

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L 3800 Shutt Shift W/R4 Tires Loaded 4WD LA 524 Loader W/Quick Attach 66" Bucket
If you look at the big picture Amsoil is king.
Factor in the fuel savings alone and it will cover the cost of the oil.
Figure in only needing one change per year in most cases.
The best cold weather performance.
Cooler operating temps in the summer.

It's not just about what oil will work. It's about which oil will give the highest level of protection and the biggest return for your money.

If you look at it from every angle there's only one choice, Amsoil.

Bulldog is CORRECT. Amsoil outperforms all other oils. There are many very good synthetic oils out there, Rotella, Royal Purple, Lewis, SuperTec by Walmart and even some of the big names are producing good synthetics, Mobil, Castro. However when you look at all facts, wear, fuel consumption, film protection when starting, operating temperature. If you are truly objective you will see the scientific facts that put AMSOIL above and in front of all others, and there are many very good seconds.

Blondie70

Equipment
L2501DT('18)L2501('15)
Aug 6, 2016
Poplarville, MS
I run Delo in my new Kubota. I also run a motorcycle, but use only Valvoline in it, as I get a pretty good deal on the 20-w50 I need for it with Valvoline. Shell does not make a 20-w50 that I know of.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
film protection when starting,.
And from the looks of your profile pic cold weather protection during start up is huge.

If it wasn't for it being swamp ass central here in Ga. I probably would have got a chill just looking at it.

mattwithcats

Jun 17, 2017
Virginia
A better question to ask would be-

“What’s the best viscosity to use?”

Motor oil is motor oil, a lot of brands come from the same source...

So long as it’s CJ or CK (“C” is compression)

Example - Pennzoil Euro 0W-40,
Also comes with the same add pack in 5W-40
Also bottled as Shell Helix, and Quaker State Euro...

Castrol Edge 0W-30 is the same add pack as Castrol Edge 0W-40...

Shell Rotella T6 comes in 5W-40 and 0W-40...

bgk

Apr 23, 2017
Accord, ny
If you look at the big picture Amsoil is king.

Factor in the fuel savings alone and it will cover the cost of the oil.

Figure in only needing one change per year in most cases.

The best cold weather performance.

Cooler operating temps in the summer.

It's not just about what oil will work. It's about which oil will give the highest level of protection and the biggest return for your money.

If you look at it from every angle there's only one choice, Amsoil.

I’ve never bought into the amsoil hype. How is it SO superior lubricity-wise that it provides a noticeable fuel economy increase? They have a good product, no doubt but even better marketing, no different than royal purple. They’re both great at marketing their stuff as super grade. I’ve even heard friends and family members think an oil change increases their horsepower output, according to their “butt dyno”. I drive 40-50k miles per year and I change my truck’s oil per the manufacturer’s recommendation (same with my kubota but it doesn’t get many hours so once per year). On my last truck and my current truck that is 10k miles and oil analysis says the oil is still good at that point. Filter is definitely due so I change the oil as well.

Last edited:

bgk

Apr 23, 2017
Accord, ny
Bulldog is CORRECT. Amsoil outperforms all other oils. There are many very good synthetic oils out there, Rotella, Royal Purple, Lewis, SuperTec by Walmart and even some of the big names are producing good synthetics, Mobil, Castro. However when you look at all facts, wear, fuel consumption, film protection when starting, operating temperature. If you are truly objective you will see the scientific facts that put AMSOIL above and in front of all others, and there are many very good seconds.

Where can I find this info? I’m not doubting you but my oil analysis’s have always been great without using amsoil.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Where can I find this info? I’m not doubting you but my oil analysis’s have always been great without using amsoil.
And because you changed your oil over the correct time frame and did all those little thing correctly, your oil analysis will always be fine.

However...........when one talks about oil and it's properties.......there is huge differences between them, when time and hours matter!:D

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Have you ordered in a while?

Orders over $100 receive free shipping.
Yeah and that $100 buys you 2 gallons of oil while you can buy close to 5 gallons of any other good quality oil. So basically you are paying for that So-Called “Free Shipping” in the price. Just another marketing gimmick.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I’ve never bought into the amsoil hype. How is it SO superior lubricity-wise that it provides a noticeable fuel economy increase?.
Just curious, does the first sentence mean you've never tried Amsoil?

Superior lubricity, fuel economy:
I'm not a chemist so I'll refer to the poor farmer testing.
I just ran my M9000 (92hp) cutting hay with a 9' Kuhn GMD700 mower @ pto speed for 9 hrs. Only stopping was to fill my water bottle up and take a piss. I used 12 gallons of fuel. That's 1.33 gph which I think is very good.

My son used my L3000 (32hp) pulling a 17' tedder @ 2000-2100 rpm's for 5 hrs and burned 3 gallons. That's 0.6 gph.

I don't know what tractor you have or what type work you do but how does your fuel consumption compare?
I can tell you story after story but that's enough to get you thinking.

There's plenty of articles out there. I could spend hrs if not days telling you what Amsoil has done for me.

The best testing I have ever witnessed is what I did for myself.
I wasn't born a Amsoil fan. It went against everything I'd been taught growing up. I was the biggest sceptic out there when it came to switching brands.
A friend gave me my first oil change of Amsoil for my truck and said try it. I gained 2 mpg and I was already using Mobil 1.

I got curious so I tried it in something else. Every thing I put it in I could tell a difference. From getting more run time out of my chain saw to my bushhog free spinning longer after it was turned off. From cooler engine and gearbox temps to smoother working hyd systems. Nobody, and I really mean nobody can give you the performance or protection that Amsoil does.

That said, don't just say I'll show that sob and try the cheapest Amsoil just to prove a point. Even in a premium oil company they offer different grades of fluid and like in everything you get what you pay for. If you want to see the truth for yourself do the research and get the best fluid for your application. I use 5w30 hdd in my all my diesels. Yes it's about the highest price oil they have but it pays for itself in fuel savings alone. On top of that I only change oil once a year no matter the miles or hrs.

Just as a side note.
Mobil 1 advertises their new annual protection oil to be the latest and greatest. Amsoil was doing that in 1972.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Just curious, does the first sentence mean you've never tried Amsoil?

I just ran my M9000 (92hp) cutting hay with a 9' Kuhn GMD700 mower @ pto speed for 9 hrs. Only stopping was to fill my water bottle up and take a piss. I used 12 gallons of fuel. That's 1.33 gph which I think is very good.

My son used my L3000 (32hp) pulling a 17' tedder @ 2000-2100 rpm's for 5 hrs and burned 3 gallons. That's 0.6 gph.

I don't know what tractor you have or what type work you do but how does your fuel consumption compare?
I can tell you story after story but that's enough to get you thinking.

There's plenty of articles out there. I could spend hrs if not days telling you what Amsoil has done for me.

The best testing I have ever witnessed is what I did for myself.
I wasn't born a Amsoil fan. It went against everything I'd been taught growing up. I was the biggest sceptic out there when it came to switching brands.
A friend gave me my first oil change of Amsoil for my truck and said try it. I gained 2 mpg and I was already using Mobil 1.

I got curious so I tried it in something else. Every thing I put it in I could tell a difference. From getting more run time out of my chain saw to my bushhog free spinning longer after it was turned off. From cooler engine and gearbox temps to smoother working hyd systems. Nobody, and I really mean nobody can give you the performance or protection that Amsoil does.

That said, don't just say I'll show that sob and try the cheapest Amsoil just to prove a point. Even in a premium oil company they offer different grades of fluid and like in everything you get what you pay for. If you want to see the truth for yourself do the research and get the best fluid for your application. I use 5w30 hdd in my all my diesels. Yes it's about the highest price oil they have but it pays for itself in fuel savings alone. On top of that I only change oil once a year no matter the miles or hrs.

Just as a side note.
Mobil 1 advertises their new annual protection oil to be the latest and greatest. Amsoil was doing that in 1972.
So your M9000 that was Nebraska Tractor Lab tested at 4.9 gallons per hour fuel consumption is getting 1.3 gallons per hour by just using AMSOIL? And the only difference in AMSOIL is their additive package? AMSOIL sources all their base stock oil from all the major oil producers like Mobil, depending on the price. I am sure that AMSOIL makes a good product, but they aren***8217;t the only one making a good product.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Kuhn shows GMD700 II 37kW (49hp)
Nebraska page shows 35hp@2712 rpm using 3.13 gal/hr
Nebraska page shows no load@2772 rpm using 1.69 gal/hr
You get 1.33 gph with load.
I think seat of pants feel and additional flux capacitors defiantly have it over Nebraska's OECD tests, that Amsoil oil sure is good, sure stacks up here.
https://tractortestlab.unl.edu/documents/KubotaM9000DT.pdf
Those flux capacitors must be good too, because Amsoil only get 6% where you probably get 60%
AMSOIL INC. has conducted industry-standard tests to demonstrate. For example, AMSOIL synthetic diesel oil, transmission fluid and gear oil increased fuel economy 6.54 percent in short- to medium-haul diesel applications in one test, while boosting fuel economy in diesel trucks used in stop-and-go city driving conditions 3.15 percent in a second test.
But maybe Nebraska's specs are suss?

Last edited:

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
@Bulldog,
If your figures truly add up, I reckon you have an opportunity to make some money, Kubota may want to buy your tractor back from you at a huge profit to you so they can examine why yours is so good and what they can do to ensure replication on production models.

From this chart you are doing very well indeed! I understand the Nebraska figures are at higher rpm, but there would generally only be a 20%~difference for the same horsepower I expect.

Figure 1. The average and maximum fuel efficiency (hp-hr/gal)
for almost 30 years. This chart shows results averaged from
annual NTTL reports (typically 10-30 tractors per year
https://pubs.ext.vt.edu/content/dam/pubs_ext_vt_edu/442/442-073/442-073_pdf.pdf

Attachments

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
So your M9000 that was Nebraska Tractor Lab tested at 4.9 gallons per hour fuel consumption.
We'll just look at this section of the comment.

So I guess in Nebraska:
M9000 DTC = 6.1 hrs of run time
M9000 DT = 4.7 hrs of run time

I've never seen any equipment that wasn't designed to run for at least a 8 hr day before needing fuel.
Just to save you some time looking for something to argue about, if that's possible.
DTC holds 30 gallons, DT holds 23 gallons. I bought one of each.

This is a general statement not directed at any one member.

This is why I no longer enjoy sharing information. I tell my experience and it's nothing but argument. I don't care what happened in Nebraska.
In Georgia, on Tuesday, my M9000 averaged 1.33 gph cutting hay.

I've been running a M9000 on my farm since 02. Burning almost 5 gph is crap.

Blondie70

Equipment
L2501DT('18)L2501('15)
Aug 6, 2016
Poplarville, MS
I like Super Tech....running for years with it and not a problem at any time. I heard it was bottled up by Shell and / or Chevron.