Bent (frown) leading edge on new 60” bucket

OrYgun

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2021 Kubota L2501
May 7, 2021
Oregon
It is probably curved due to the welding process. Which means most will be like that if that is what your confirming. Honestly you will be surprised how quick that frown will smile. 1/4 over a timber of wood is not much. The other possible is to have the dealer put a bolt on cutting edge on it for you. It will make that edge flat. I wont buy another tractor bucket without one. They are much stronger and will always have the potential to be renewed.
View attachment 60953
What style or brand of edge do you like best? I’ve seen those piranha cutting bolt on’s... vs the straight edge.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Well it IS a 'big deal',shows someone using substandard materials, poor welding setup and bad 'engineering'.OK, it's 'just' 1/4" bend but that's in 30", so 0.83333%.doesn't sound like much BUT consider neighbor's new house foundation. One 25' wall is 'only' out 1%. You say 'not bad' UNTIL you string for the wall, it's out 3 INCHES !! Froming crew is coming back, on their dime, to 'cut ,pin,repour' though it will NOT be the same as a PROPERLY done wall.
Having built 25-30 trailers ove rhe years, I know that you need proper materials, jigging and welding to keep things 'straight and true'. I'm thinkig the bucket is made of thin steel, improper grade and quickly welded.
I'd expect the dealer/head office to replace the defective part AND supply a heavyduty' bar, free of charge.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
My dad had a problem with his bucket with a little bend in it. Although his was the typical smile and not the frown. His bend wasn't able to be fixed with a bolt on edge. I think your bend might be able to be fixed with a bolt on edge, but you hate to see the quality slipping when they are trying to meet the high demand.

Resized_20191019_092256.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Without question, I wanted an edge on my bucket. Happened to choose the Piranha Tooth Bar.

As others mentioned, I think an edge would take care of it, and also protect the bucket over the long-term.

Reactions: 1 user

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
It sounds like a straight cutting edge may be best for what you plan to use the bucket for. Also, check out edge tamers to assist in snow removal with your bucket. It's very unfortunate that there appears to be a manufacturing issue currently but these items should help you do what you need. Another option is to return the bucket and purchase one from a third party. One option is the Everything Attachments bucket with the reverseable cutting edge.

Last edited:

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
What style or brand of edge do you like best? I’ve seen those piranha cutting bolt on’s... vs the straight edge.
For this scenario straight. The piranha and straight bolt on edge really serve two purposes. The piranna is to increase your ability to penetrate the aggregate. It also attaches by tongue which is for simplicity to install. A bolt on edge functions to strengthen the lower edge, while also providing extended life. The buckets drill fairly easy with cobalt bits. If your adding one, just clamp the edge on and mark/drill the 1/2" holes. There are UHMW cutting edges for snow removal as well, if you decide to go that route.
The bolt on cutting edges are very hard and brittle. They seem to resist wear better than the original welded edge. I would go with factory, it will fit the width perfect, its painted, and it will come with hardware if ordered wholegoods.

OP,
I believe there is a factory bolt on cutting edge heavy duty bucket. Maybe you can have the dealer swap you one out. The hd bucket is double skinned and much stronger. They are about 30% heavier so that does take off the lift capacity.

Last edited:

802Driver

Equipment
LX2610SU 60" Bucket Land Pride54" Box Blade Farm King 4572 Rear Blade
May 18, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
My dad had a problem with his bucket with a little bend in it. Although his was the typical smile and not the frown. His bend wasn't able to be fixed with a bolt on edge. I think your bend might be able to be fixed with a bolt on edge, but you hate to see the quality slipping when they are trying to meet the high demand.

View attachment 60983
WOW!! Is that ever bent!! LMAO

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia

View attachment 60983
That'd be good for digging a ditch!

Reactions: 1 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
That'd be good for digging a ditch!
About the only thing it is good for. It has since been replaced and I think he has learned to be a little more gentle with his bucket.

• Haha

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I’m not convinced the board is straight....

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
I’m not convinced the board is straight....
I'd use a 6 foot builder's level or some other straight edge instead of the board.
Even better, I can visually gauge a bend easier than using a suspect measuring tool.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I trust that the OP had a reason to check the straightness.

A tight string from side to side will tell the story.

Reactions: 2 users

Bark

Equipment
L4701/FM2560LA765/BB2560Pittsburgh disk Titan P forks
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
The snow plow on my 77 chevy truck is still straight (and I have used it to shove dirt). If it was off by that much it would make driveways and stuff a lot more difficult to get cleaned off. So for me, that blade would not cut it. I haven't checked my Kubota blade but will just out of curiosity.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
It’s really interesting how we scrutinize new equipment for imperfections, forgetting that it’s a piece of agricultural-equipment and only a matter of time before that bucket will lose that frown from heavy useage.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The snow plow on my 77 chevy truck is still straight (and I have used it to shove dirt). If it was off by that much it would make driveways and stuff a lot more difficult to get cleaned off. So for me, that blade would not cut it. I haven't checked my Kubota blade but will just out of curiosity.
The blade on you chev truck wears across all of the very bottom. It can't under any normal use get bowed up or down, it just wears off at the cutting edge.

A tractor load is a totally different tool, and can be bent with it's hyd. pressure.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re:

It’s really interesting how we scrutinize new equipment for imperfections, forgetting that it’s a piece of agricultural-equipment and only a matter of time before that bucket will lose that frown from heavy useage.

The bucket should have been designed and built properly, doesn't matter where it's being used, as long as it's not being abused.

The DEFECT is a measurable 1% error, same as the new house build foundataion next door. That shows as a 3" difference in the 25' garage wall. Home owner is 'upset' putting it mildly, so GC had the 'forming crew' cut and remove a 6' x 25' section of the wall( 15,000# of week old concrete),reform and repour a 'patch'.SAME 'little' error on one of the house walls, but the framers 'bodged' that to be 'better'(still 3" out opf square though !!
Were it my BRAND NEW forever house, the ENTIRE build would be demolished and started over from scratch.
In both cases, with today's tech (LASERS,GPS,CNC,computer modelling,etc.) there is NO excuse for substandard parts or assembly.

Yes, it's 'only' a bucket BUT.... where else did the 'engineers' trim 'this or that' ? Say the DPF is onl 99% good, over the lifetime of your use ,that could be 100s of $ in unecessary replacement parts.....,maybe a new engine ?

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
re:

The bucket should have been designed and built properly, doesn't matter where it's being used, as long as it's not being abused.

The DEFECT is a measurable 1% error, same as the new house build foundataion next door. That shows as a 3" difference in the 25' garage wall. Home owner is 'upset' putting it mildly, so GC had the 'forming crew' cut and remove a 6' x 25' section of the wall( 15,000# of week old concrete),reform and repour a 'patch'.SAME 'little' error on one of the house walls, but the framers 'bodged' that to be 'better'(still 3" out opf square though !!
Were it my BRAND NEW forever house, the ENTIRE build would be demolished and started over from scratch.
In both cases, with today's tech (LASERS,GPS,CNC,computer modelling,etc.) there is NO excuse for substandard parts or assembly.

Yes, it's 'only' a bucket BUT.... where else did the 'engineers' trim 'this or that' ? Say the DPF is onl 99% good, over the lifetime of your use ,that could be 100s of $ in unecessary replacement parts.....,maybe a new engine ?
Not to kill the intent of this vent of yours.

Keep in mind the engineer did not build this bucket. The manual labor of a American worker probably welded it. It is a compromise of a hand made part. If it were made by a machine, we would be complaining there were not jobs. As far as the house flaws, I can assume the person demanding modern technology at every turn of his/her home build wouldn't want to pay for this additional costs. I would bet that if you pick the home construction too much, you will really reap a "trimming" of effort. Along the lines of pissing off the food staff...