Battery

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
When I needed a tractor battery, we matched up a Honda battery with the original tractor battery case size. And it had more CCA than the original. Autozone.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
AS you are looking at your battery ........ check the wiring TOO the battery and from the battery - grounds especially .....

The voltage may appear fine - BUT the amps do the dirty work. In other words - a battery new or old cannot deliver the needed "juice" if the wiring is corroded.

Your battery may indeed be on the latter end of it's life but just for S and G's check all the cabling.

Also - your battery "box" might be able to handle a little bigger battery in physical size - I would measure the container area and then go out and do a little measuring yourself...... getting the larges CCA you can afford in the process.

hell - young people today cannot tell time on an analog clock - much less ready an imperial tape measure.........

I teach "reading" the ruler every @#$@#$@# year - and each year the kids know less and less. They would not know 1/16" of an inch if I hit them with a stick that had the marking on it!!!!!!
If you have a Walmart nearby, go there with your battery measurements.
Their batteries are on racks that you can access yourself.
Bring your own measuring tape.
Walmart batteries are made by Johnson Controls, and are a good bang for the buck.

Jared 756

Equipment
MX5400, L3901 and B2601
Jun 9, 2021
Washington st
I just looked it up on KPAD and it was very easy to find the part number for it and it also has the group in the remarks section. (group 51)

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I just looked it up on KPAD and it was very easy to find the part number for it and it also has the group in the remarks section. (group 51)
Hmmm - when I looked atlKPAD all that was in the remarks section of the page I was looking at was the JIS designation. But 51R appears to be the BCI equivalent. Same as used in my G2160 lawn tractor. The last one I bought was a Duracell currently $110 at Sam's Club

Dan

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Wife just called me from town (I hate going to town so sent her, LOL)
They had a match, so got one.

Thanks again everyone for all the info.

Reactions: 1 user

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Well, I think I got lucky? When I first saw what the wife brought me home from Parts Source I thought it was some crap no-name brand. But turns out it is made by Johnson Controls whom everyone seems to rave about?

I would have liked to get an AGM, but next time I guess......now that I know what size I am looking for, LOL

Says it has more cranking amps than the original but it has less reserve capacity.

Attachments

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Well, I think I got lucky? When I first saw what the wife brought me home from Parts Source I thought it was some crap no-name brand. But turns out it is made by Johnson Controls whom everyone seems to rave about?

I would have liked to get an AGM, but next time I guess......now that I know what size I am looking for, LOL

Says it has more cranking amps than the original but it has less reserve capacity.
The three year free replacement is about as good as it gets these days!
You should be OK for a while at least.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Looks like it’ll be just fine.

As far as AGM, I asked that question here early this year. Wasn’t really after one, but wanted to ask the question. Don’t know that much about them.

Don’t recall all the the conversation, but I was determined to stick with a good lead acid battery. Got almost 9 years out of theOE battery….

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I used many Deka 551RMF on those tractors. They are the exact battery that Kubota used from the factory. They are great quality. 7-9 years average life out of them from what I have seen.

The earlier b series had some issues with the wiring, easy to find with a voltage drop test.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I was just interested in an AGM because I read they withstand vibration and rough service better than a normal lead acid battery.

What is the difference between an AGM battery and a standard battery?

Instead of the free-flowing liquid inside of a regular car battery, the AGM carries its charge in soaked sponges coating the lead plates. The glass mats' complete coverage makes it easier to summon more power from an AGM battery — and make it easier to recharge.

But like you say RCW.....I got 8 years on my original battery too so hopefully this one does the same.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I used many Deka 551RMF on those tractors. They are the exact battery that Kubota used from the factory. They are great quality. 7-9 years average life out of them from what I have seen.

The earlier b series had some issues with the wiring, easy to find with a voltage drop test.
I couldn't find anything on the original battery. Other than it said "Made in Korea"

I got lucky. ZERO problems with my B2620. it's a 2013 and has over 800 hours. Mine doesn't drain the battery. It was still showing 12.7 volts after sitting for a week. Just had no cranking power left.
I did that desulfate restore cycle yesterday and this morning the battery was wet around the positive post.
It was still starting the tractor, but I didn't want to wait until it didn't start to change it.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
What is the difference between an AGM battery and a standard battery?
AGM batteries can be damaged by high charging voltages. Most charging systems put out 14.2-14.8V during normal operation. Your conventional battery charger may be capable of putting out as much as 18 volts, which may be fine for a conventional low-maintenance lead-acid battery. These numbers destroy AGMs.

Today's cars made for AGMs actually have the PCM turn down the voltage regulator in a low load cruise situation to extend battery life. GMs with AGMs cruise the highway running at 12.5V with no lights or wipers on.

Moral OTS is you can actually shorten the life of an AGM if your charging system isn't designed for it.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
ItBmine - if the link works, this is when I asked about AGM.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
RCW....looks like a mixed bag or results, LOL I do see there are things I didn't know about AGM's. But they do have good points too. But I guess the good old cheap lead acid will do the job.

One thing about the internet, you have to take all the info you get, then make you own decision. The one VW I have left, a 2010 2.0 lite turbo was supposed to grenade before the warranty even ran out due to a bad cam chain tensioner they ALL had according to the internet.
I was so worried about it I even went to two dealers to enquire about just tearing it down and replacing it before it fails. Of the two only one of the dealers said they have only seen one fail in all the time they have sold them and don't worry about it. Well, it's got 200,000 miles on it now and still going trouble free.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

The 651RMF is externally identical but with higher CCA and reserve capacity. Not common (need to order it) and costs a bit more.

SDT

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Looks like it’ll be just fine.

As far as AGM, I asked that question here early this year. Wasn’t really after one, but wanted to ask the question. Don’t know that much about them.

Don’t recall all the the conversation, but I was determined to stick with a good lead acid battery. Got almost 9 years out of theOE battery….
Batteries sometimes seem to be a crap shoot.
The heaviest lead acid battery will usually be the most cost effective.
In my opinion, the fancy batteries (Optima etc.) are usually not worth their premium price.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Well, makes me feel better anyway that I didn't go the extra mile to spend more and find an AGM that fit.